• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG4 Undertray Poll

Does my MG4 have an undertray dip/bulge?

• Yes

Votes: 88 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 33 27.3%

• Total voters
You are correct about the the anywhere near the £700 price so why would a dealer quote that for a sheet of moulded plastic that would be less than a half hour job to replace. That was the point I'm making about the £700.

I think also if you read my posts over the last week or so I haven't been totally anti MG, I have repeatedly praised the two SE models as being the best value for money cheap EVs in terms of size and range for the money going. I admit I haven't been praising the trophy the same as I think the extra cost makes it less appealing against more expensive rivals
I have however been consistent iny criticism of the stance, denial and lies taken and being peddled by some dealers, not all, and MG

It won't cost MG anywhere near £700 (per car) to replace undertrays, so that's not why they're not doing it. But I don't know the actual reason.
When or if I get my 4, then totally replaced the tray with galvanised sheets that I have in abundance at work, would there be warranty problems??

When or if I get my 4, then totally replaced the tray with galvanised sheets that I have in abundance at work, would there be warranty problems??
Impossible to say. There could be. It will all depend on the dealer's attitude and whether they examine what you did and fairly assess the impact of it.

You should declare any modification - however minor - to your insurer or it may invalidate your policy in the event of a claim, including your 3rd party cover.

If you were involved in a bad accident and it wasn't your fault but the galvanised sheets caused injury or damage when they separated from the car, you could end up being bankrupted.

I am not saying it is likely, but something to consider.

This is the customer service response to if the warranty covers the Bulge. I have gone back and asked for clarification on the tolerance of the bulge allowed for in their design.

First and foremost, your dealer need to inspect the car and advise that there is a manufacturing defect before this becomes a warranty issue. I trust that this makes sense.

If there is a slight bulge in the under tray, then this can occur due to the design of the car, usually because of where fittings are located and secured. This isn’t manufacturing defect and wouldn’t result in the replacement of the under tray.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on other cases, but I can advise that if dealerships have swapped under tray for exactly the same reason that you describe, then they have not done so with MG authority.

I have come back to this thread to change my vote, after crawling under my car just now.

1686921552884.png

1686921590414.png

What do I do now?

Posted in the other thread, pretty sure MG said they won't be replacing them, your dealer might give it a go in adjusting it.
Will catch a lot of road muck come the bad weather again

When the first service rolls around I'll be asking them to show me the undertray off so I can see if it's caused any issues. Ultimately as MG have said it's not a warranty issue if it picks up debris and that then causes issue I will expect them to be fixing anything damaged under warranty. In the long run this will cost them more than just replacing it in the first instance.

I have come back to this thread to change my vote, after crawling under my car just now.

View attachment 18319

View attachment 18320

What do I do now?
Yeah, looks par for the course re the MG 4. Haven't looked at my bulge in a while but I lessened it greatly by clamping it with a bit of flat aluminium secured by the existing screws.
Shouldn't have to of course, but I just can't see MG being helpful with this.

As I think I've said before, the alloy casing you can see above the undertray is the root of the problem IMO. It hangs down around 10mm and the tray can't really lie flat because of it.
Think it houses the BMS. There's tons of free space below the rear seat though, why the hell they didn't put it there I just don't know :unsure:

Mines got a slight bulge which is better than most. I've taken a photo of it but I think I'm not going to do anything about it until it needs to go in for something else or its first service.
I'll have another look when it's a bit cooler to see if the warm weather has made it worse.

Well, other people have had this replaced under warranty, so I see no reason not to try.
Fortunately for me this is just about the only issue I didn’t have. If I did have it, I would not accept inaction. If the gap was facing rearwards that wouldn’t be so bad but forward facing it will collect all sorts of road muck, water, rubbish. We don’t get much snow down here unlike your part of the country, I would not be happy driving in snow with this defect, risk of damage to the undertray surely?

Fortunately for me this is just about the only issue I didn’t have. If I did have it, I would not accept inaction. If the gap was facing rearwards that wouldn’t be so bad but forward facing it will collect all sorts of road muck, water, rubbish. We don’t get much snow down here unlike your part of the country, I would not be happy driving in snow with this defect, risk of damage to the undertray surely?
There has been a case of someone driving through water and the undertray being broken. I believe they had to buy a new one as MG wouldn't cover it.

There has been a case of someone driving through water and the undertray being broken. I believe they had to buy a new one as MG wouldn't cover it.
I can understand that, driving through water and the under tray breaking, the owner would have to prove that the warping was there causing the break. Did the front or back tray break ?
I can also understand how water ingress in a certain manner into the gaps on a warped trap would create pressure potentially breaking the tray.
However if they had not reported warping issues before and it was the back tray breaking, then proving the component was at fault would be hard to do.

I can understand that, driving through water and the under tray breaking, the owner would have to prove that the warping was there causing the break. Did the front or back tray break ?
I can also understand how water ingress in a certain manner into the gaps on a warped trap would create pressure potentially breaking the tray.
However if they had not reported warping issues before and it was the back tray breaking, then proving the component was at fault would be hard to do.

Circular argument.
If the tray fitted properly water wouldn’t get in under enough pressure to break the tray.
So the fact it’s broken proves there was an issue.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back