MG4 Undertray Poll

Does my MG4 have an undertray dip/bulge?

• Yes

Votes: 89 73.0%
  • No

Votes: 33 27.0%

• Total voters
I can understand that, driving through water and the under tray breaking, the owner would have to prove that the warping was there causing the break. Did the front or back tray break ?
I can also understand how water ingress in a certain manner into the gaps on a warped trap would create pressure potentially breaking the tray.
However if they had not reported warping issues before and it was the back tray breaking, then proving the component was at fault would be hard to do.
It was the back tray and the had the bulge prior to it breaking.
It's on the forum somewhere with pictures

The post I saw had been edited to say it would be updated, but then that wasn't done. I was wondering if the owner had reported the fault to the dealer before the accident happened.

Attachments

• IMG_5404.png
    IMG_5404.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5402.jpeg
    IMG_5402.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 90
The other thread is specifically about the MG fix for this, which I think is why it wasn't merged. It's been going since January, in parallel with this one.

The other thread is specifically about the MG fix for this, which I think is why it wasn't merged. It's been going since January, in parallel with this one.

Thank you for that information Rolfe I had not seen that one, still don’t understand why it wasn’t merged, and its no fix as far as I’m concerned, a length of bar, and a couple of longer bolts to crush the tray into position in effect could be done by anybody, so I call it bodge not a fix to be honest, as for the thread ruining in parallel with this one, no no this one as been on going since the MG4 was launched in the UK around 18 months back but thank you again for the information, but I have to say after reading through that thread I will stop with this one and pursue getting a replacement tray fitted.
Les

I don't think I was reading the forum when the thread about the fix appeared, I had a house guest, so it wasn't my decision. I think merging the threads now would scramble too many conversations.

I've been worried that replacement trays have been arriving that are also warped.

I've been worried that replacement trays have been arriving that are also warped.

I haven’t heard that and I hope it’s wrong, as there are still many owners out there waiting for a replacement cover to sort this issue out, including us.

I did write somewhere on this forum at some point before Christmas that while I was waiting in my dealer's showroom, my wife’s 4 having its first service, there were 2 new MG4s one SE one Trophy in the showroom. I got down to look under those cars and while the tray was no where near as bad as our 4 they did still have some bulging in the middle and not as tight a fit as I would have thought they should be to be honest.
Les

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say for sure is that many new cars are still coming with warped undertrays. (I took a look under a few when I was last at my dealer - of the 3 I looked at only 1 had a seemingly flat undertray, an SE LR; the one on the XPower in the showroom was the worst).

We checked ours before we drove it out of the dealership, and no bulge for us. Although it should be noted that ours is second-hand, 4 months old, so it is very possible that it originally had it and it was fixed and we just don't know about it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back