MG4 vs Tesla Model 3

More😂

Not really a great comparison new to used. Under 3 years old and less than 18k miles mine was £30k. It should be and is better in many ways.

Efficiency is another area. Sinc beginning of November I have averaged over 3.7m/kWh which just beats the summer average of my MG4. Heat pump no doubt helps.

Same journeys, mostly between 40 and 250 miles in total.

I test drove a Y and a 3 and then the MG4. I was coming from an MX5 hardtop :).
My views: the Y looked ugly, the 3 looked like a computer mouse. Both more expensive, particularly if you wanted anything but white. Both had sterile interiors and the single screen that does everything incl having to look left to see the speedometer did not work for me. The whole buying into the tesla ecosystem incl no Android auto, deezer etc also a no from me. Yes the software is more refined but they have had a lot more time to refine it.. I hopped into the MG4 and besides it's external appeal and it wasn't as expensive in non white, as soon as I sat in it I felt much more at home. Felt very comfortable, roomy and well more like a conventional car layout. So I bought a 77kw Camden Grey MG4. V2L, tow bar and 11kw wall charger for a lot less than I could get a tesla. So far no issue with dealer, no issues with the car and 8600kms on the odo. Love the OPD and plenty of power. Range seems great so far but I do live in a warm Australian climate so no range reduction here. Regrets for my intro to EV.. non at all.

Last edited:
I've owned an MG4 Trophy for just over a year and am generally happy with it now I have R46 software and am learning to live with the LKA. I'm not overly impressed by MG UK and the dealership experience but hopefully if I keep the MG I will not need to use the dealers too much.

I've always wanted a Tesla Model 3 (I had my name down in the very first pre-order many years ago) but have always felt the price was too high. Now used Model 3s are a decent price I finally went out for a test drive this morning and have come back feeling a bit underwhelmed. I took out a dual motor long range and although I felt it was a good car it did feel a bit unrefined.

I'd be interested in anyone who has considerable experience of both the MG4 and Model 3 to sum up the pros and cons of each. It was only a short test drive so I'm considering hiring one for a few days from Hertz to see if I get a more positive vibe but have to say getting back in the MG I didn't really feel like I was missing out on anything other than the Tesla supercharger network.
I too have a MG4 and struggle with the dealer experience, but it’s generally MG that cause most of the issues, the dealer is just the middle man.
Last year whist in the States, I went for a long journey in a Tesla model twin motor, and although it was nice, I found the ride very hard compared to the MG4.

Like I said, different compromises for different people.

Not sure why everyone has to prove one thing is better than another thing and all the usual Willy waving that happens online.

Technically on the electronics and software side I believe the Tesla to be superior but I loved the MG4 as a car. Looks wise both are equally good and bad looking depending on the angle but I like both in their own way.

Thanks for all the feedback. I took out a Highland Model 3 yesterday and did think it was quite improved on the older version, much more refined but jumping back into the MG and both very different cars. I do like the hot hatch feel of the MG. Ideally the MG4 would have a little more power and all the driver assistance stuff would actually work! I also took out an Ioniq 5 this morning and that was great too in a different way. Sensible head says keep the MG and live with the LKA but I do like a change.

From my perspective, I think you are comparing chalk and cheese. The MG4 is a hatchback with plenty of good load space. The Tesla Model 3 is a saloon with a relatively narrow boot opening. Plus, age for age, the Tesla is more expensive.
Still interesting to see the comparison. I still don't regret buying the MG4.

From my perspective, I think you are comparing chalk and cheese. The MG4 is a hatchback with plenty of good load space. The Tesla Model 3 is a saloon with a relatively narrow boot opening. Plus, age for age, the Tesla is more expensive.
Still interesting to see the comparison. I still don't regret buying the MG4.
Absolutely agree they are very different cars but I am in the position where I can make most cars suit my lifestyle. The one thing I would say is that it was much easier to choose when you only had to choose between the Zoe or a Leaf and the quality of EV's available now on the used market at a decent price is amazing compared to 12 months ago!

Absolutely agree they are very different cars but I am in the position where I can make most cars suit my lifestyle. The one thing I would say is that it was much easier to choose when you only had to choose between the Zoe or a Leaf and the quality of EV's available now on the used market at a decent price is amazing compared to 12 months ago!
Same here, I need a family car with good interior space but not super large or an SUV. We have had a mix of saloon/Hatch over time. I often carry a considerable number of boxes and the M3 can fit much more inside than my MG4 but this is only possible because I don’t sell washing machines or Fridge freezers😂

The rear space is cavernous especially if you add the underfloor space plus all the cables and “stuff” live in the frunk/froot for easy access Once fully loaded. It is not that less practical in practice, just depends what you need.

I've recently replaced my ZS with an MG4 and I'm very pleased so far. However, before I purchased I saw a video on YouTube by two "whatcar" journalists. One took an MG4 Trophy and the other took the cheapest Tesla, they both drove from London to Lands End and back in two days, then made a comparison. Very interesting, I'm sure you can find it on YouTube. I'm glad I got the MG4, considering the difference in price.

I've owned an MG4 Trophy for just over a year and am generally happy with it now I have R46 software and am learning to live with the LKA. I'm not overly impressed by MG UK and the dealership experience but hopefully if I keep the MG I will not need to use the dealers too much.

I've always wanted a Tesla Model 3 (I had my name down in the very first pre-order many years ago) but have always felt the price was too high. Now used Model 3s are a decent price I finally went out for a test drive this morning and have come back feeling a bit underwhelmed. I took out a dual motor long range and although I felt it was a good car it did feel a bit unrefined.

I'd be interested in anyone who has considerable experience of both the MG4 and Model 3 to sum up the pros and cons of each. It was only a short test drive so I'm considering hiring one for a few days from Hertz to see if I get a more positive vibe but have to say getting back in the MG I didn't really feel like I was missing out on anything other than the Tesla supercharger network.
I had a Model 3 Long Range as a loan car for 3 months whilst my BMW i3 was off the road due to a collision caused by someone trying to overtake me on a blind bend. Recently, I had a Long-Range Model Y on a 24-hour test drive and extended test drives on the new Highland Model 3 and a standard range Model Y.

I have had my MG4 Trophy Long Range since November 2022 and my observations and opinions are as follows:

Ride Quality
MG4 is top of the pile. The new Model 3 is much improved at smoothing out the bumps in the road and is more compliant than the previous generation, but I prefer the ride of the MG4. Model Y and previous Model 3 were significantly worse than the MG4.

Efficiency
I found all Tesla's I have driven to be less efficient than the MG4. The official stats say different but based on my real-world mixed road driving I am certain MG4 is better, even in colder weather. Also, I am surprised that Tesla display kWh consumption rather than miles per kWh. It seems odd as all the data is available to display the calculation.

Driving Enjoyment
My recent test drives were interesting. The new Model 3 impressed me, and the standard range Model Y was OK. I was less satisfied with the Long-Range Model Y. I then drove my MG4 and found it more enjoyable to drive than both Tesla models. The Tesla's, probably due to their size, are not as agile and nimble as the MG4. Other things that 'spoiled' my driving enjoyment in the Tesla's were:
  • Speed displayed on the infotainment screen means you need to glance left to keep an eye on things and with the 20mph speed limits there is an even greater need to manage your speed.
  • Considerable number of controls are managed through the infotainment screen including wipers, mirror adjustment etc. It's a little distracting. However, it is a good infotainment screen though, better than the MG4.
  • New Model 3 indicators are on the steering wheel. The car is now 'stalkless'. Why? It's fine on normal junctions, but a complete pain on roundabouts
  • Steering 'feel' on the Model Y is poor and rear visibility is very limited
  • Awkard door handles
  • Model Y is not engaging to drive - feels like you're driving a very fast barge/oil tanker but the standard range was slightly better than the AWD long range version. New Model 3 is much more engaging.

Other Factors
  • Insurance is expensive as the Tesla's are group 47 to 50. Based on my circumstances a Tesla would cost around double my MG4 premiums.
  • I like the fact scheduled servicing is not required as the car monitors things and informs you when a service centre visit is needed
  • No Android Auto/Apple Car Play. I like the Tesla software but prefer the familiarity and ease of use of Android Auto
  • Build quality of the new Model 3 and Model Y are noticeably better than the previous generation Model 3. The new UK cars are built in China I believe.
  • Tesla seem to be opening up more charging hubs to non-Tesla's so the advantage Tesla has in charging infrastructure will reduce over time as the other networks accelerate their rollout and Tesla becomes less proprietary. But right now, Tesla does still have an advantage here.
  • I prefer the hatchback on my MG4 to the Model 3 boot as its more versatile. Model Y is better than the MG4 from a space and luggage carrying ability of course.
  • I found the Tesla's to be quite noisy in the passenger cabin when rapid charging

In summary, if the Model Y drove as well as the new Model 3 and it was a similar cost to insure as the MG4 I would be more interested but I'm likely to stick with MG4 for now. We also own a Trophy Long Range ZS EV, and until recently I had an early deposit on a Cyberster. We've also owned the gen 1 ZS EV and gen 1 MG5. We've been happy with our 4 MG EV's but my local dealer has had its MG franchise terminated and I am not feeling entirely happy with that decision. I was also considering swapping my Long Range MG4 for the new Extended Range but the franchise termination has unsettled me a little.

I've had my MG4 Trophy for about a year. Before buying it I had a test drive in both the M3 and MY.
I almost placed an order for the M3 - thankfully I did an insurance quote first...
My experience was that insuring the M3 was at least twice more expensive than the MG4.

I was quite happy about the 7 years warranty (compared to 5) but then I've experienced the MG Dealership attitude (which doesn't fill me with confidence).

Apparently the new M3 is supposed to be more refined/quiet (maybe I should do another test drive).

I suspect my MG4 has depreciated - in less than a year - just as much as a Tesla M3 would.

I wish I had a look at this forum before I made my decision to purchase the MG4 (I'm quite pissed with the plethora of software niggles in the MG4 - just today the camera app was stuck ON even though I was driving forward for 30 seconds).
I didn't notice any of the software issues in my MG4 test drive (and the ride in the SE SR version I've tested seemed to be just as good as the M3).

Knowing what I know today (and yearning for a better experience of getting into the car and getting ready to drive) I'd probably go for the M3. That said I'm not in a hurry to go for an upgrade (even if the driving experience turns out to be superior).

Vi Bilägare, a swedish car magazine, tested the Model 3 in 2020. At their usual corrosion inspection, which they do on all the cars they test, they found severe risks for serious future corrosion. I don't have access to that test any more, but back then I was a subscribing member, and if I recall correctly, they found moisture-sucking sound-deadening in and around the A-pillar and no galvanic corrosion protection where the aluminium and steel overlapped in the side sills. So potentially very serious. Couple that with an interior which makes a Citroen Berlingo seem luxurious, I wouldn't buy one for even half the price. Franky I would get a MG4 again.

Apart from the ergonomics and software, I simply can’t abide the plain and boring Tesla front - it’s ’orrible. The MG HS EV front is also plain but the golf ball treatment at least breaks it up a bit visually.

No joke, you can actually buy stick on fronts to improve the looks of the model three, here’s a couple:

Tesla Grille Model 3 Model Y Decal Sticker Bumper Exterior Accessory - Etsy New Zealand

And:

And as an ex-BMW e46 owner, my favourite:

Compare those to this:

IMG_2128.jpeg

I rest my case.

Last edited:
Vi Bilägare, a swedish car magazine, tested the Model 3 in 2020. At their usual corrosion inspection, which they do on all the cars they test, they found severe risks for serious future corrosion. I don't have access to that test any more, but back then I was a subscribing member, and if I recall correctly, they found moisture-sucking sound-deadening in and around the A-pillar and no galvanic corrosion protection where the aluminium and steel overlapped in the side sills. So potentially very serious. Couple that with an interior which makes a Citroen Berlingo seem luxurious, I wouldn't buy one for even half the price. Franky I would get a MG4 again.
The interior of the model 3 is actually quite decent (and actually better than a Citroen Berlingo). The first models from Freemont faced big quality issues - but it has been sorted out.
My shangai-made MY’23 Model 3 boasts a much more refined interior than the MG4. And they’ve enhanced even further their build quality with the Highland overhaul.

Tesla's Model 3 interior trims may not set the class standard for build quality, but they are certainly far from being shabby.

My Biggest concern with Tesla:
  • Elon Musk
  • Resale/depreciation, as a result of Teslas pricing schizophasia, huge downward price movements resales are terrible (good for second-hand Tesla buyers) resulting from Teslas declining in sales growth as they try to stay competitive.
  • Cost of repairs is a killer, double the average for other cars… this will also result in higher insurance costs.
  • Single centre screen (no driver screen) this is not only inconvenient but a genuine safely concern.
  • Boot vs hatchback is a matter for personal preference, but I do prefer a hatch.
Many of you have probably heard partly as a result of points 2 & 3 Hertz is reducing its EV fleet by 20,000 cars (mostly Teslas) so again great for second-hand Tesla buyers with 20,000 used Teslas hitting the second hand market.

My opinion is low millage USED Teslas are really worth considering and a good buy, NEW not so good. You still get full access to the Tesla charging network which to me is the best argument for Tesla right now. Not a such a big concern for me though as I have a good solar setup at home and get free power, I have only used a commercial fast charger the once so far.

The main reason I chose the MG-XP over all the others I tested - simple it’s the most FUN EV under A$90k (at A$60k well under many of the other offering). Before I bought, I rented: the Tesla 3, the Polestar 2, the Volvo C40. Test drove: the BYD Seal AWD, the Volvo CX40 AWD, the Kia Ev6, and the Hyundai Ioniq 5.

The interior of the model 3 is actually quite decent (and actually better than a Citroen Berlingo). The first models from Freemont faced big quality issues - but it has been sorted out.
My shangai-made MY’23 Model 3 boasts a much more refined interior than the MG4. And they’ve enhanced even further their build quality with the Highland overhaul.

Tesla's Model 3 interior trims may not set the class standard for build quality, but they are certainly far from being shabby.
Yes I have read this many times Teslas built in China are better finish than those built in their other Tesla factories

It is not decent with them cheaping out and don't put in an instrument binnacle. That just look poor. But they did in a Berlingo, a massive positive for the Berlingo. Which makes that car miles more user friendly. And that makes the MG4 such a good place to be in. No weird stuff just to be noticed and draw attention. Even some physical stalks and big real buttons in them, which is great since I usually wear gloves 5 months out of the year coming into the car.

People are always telling me "you get used to the single central screen and no stalks, it is fine".

Then I think: "but why should I have to get used to them?".

There is no world in which these (and other things like no CarPlay/AA) are improvements to the driver experience. They are cost savings for Tesla.

In my book, it isn't a premium product if it has such obvious cost cutting.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back