MG4 vs Tesla Model 3

@SteveHOBART Concerning resale value, I fear that all electric vehicles are affected to some extent. Tesla faces more than others due to Musk's speculation on his own products. However, in general, electric vehicle prices are dwindling. New technologies, such as LFP batteries, are maturing, and as these cars enter mass production, manufacturers are experiencing significant cost savings.

Elon Musk holds far-right libertarian ideas (which makes me uncomfortable) — much like Henry Ford did!

People are always telling me "you get used to the single central screen and no stalks, it is fine".

Then I think: "but why should I have to get used to them?".

There is no world in which these (and other things like no CarPlay/AA) are improvements to the driver experience. They are cost savings for Tesla.

In my book, it isn't a premium product if it has such obvious cost cutting.
Indeed, that's a point. Teslas don't fall into the category of premium cars. The deal is this: we provide you with a vehicle loaded with a lot of features (or should I say quirks and features) that will evolve over time. However, on the flip side, we aim to boost our margins, even if it results in inconveniences for you.

For instance:

• We cut costs by omitting park sensors, rain sensors, and light sensors — relying solely on a camera, leading to occasional suboptimal results.
  • Opting for a simple push button is more cost-effective than a full stock.
  • And hey, why not remove the gear lever and integrate it into the main screen...

In all these cases, it's the customer who needs to adapt.

It is not decent with them cheaping out and don't put in an instrument binnacle. That just look poor. But they did in a Berlingo, a massive positive for the Berlingo. Which makes that car miles more user friendly. And that makes the MG4 such a good place to be in. No weird stuff just to be noticed and draw attention. Even some physical stalks and big real buttons in them, which is great since I usually wear gloves 5 months out of the year coming into the car.

My friend bought me a pair of woolly gloves with sensitive pads on the forefingers and thumbs so I could kill LKA in comfort before driving off. They work a treat.

TSEDGE - calling the model Y irrelevant is a bit off.

It was the number one selling car in the UK last year!

Attachments

• IMG_5094.png
    IMG_5094.png
    430.6 KB · Views: 50
TSEDGE - calling the model Y irrelevant is a bit off.

It was the number one selling car in the UK last year!

Please use my full quote - I said irrelevant to most people at a reasonable price point, which is correct. The fact that there's a bunch of people with a ton money (or more likely credit / business finance) who have temporarily propelled it to the top in one year doesn't change that.

Love my MG4 Trophy and now could not live without the VTL use it everyday and was one reason I went for the MG, my brother has the Model 3 and personally very happy with my choice. Happy days👍

Just sold my Model 3 after almost 4 years of ownership. Now bought a Trophy LR, which is, as far as I’m concerned, the better car. Tesla was a leader for the technology it brought to driving, but most other manufacturers have at least caught up, if not surpassed it.
All I miss from the Tesla are fairly trivial things - one pedal driving by default, ability to use cameras for security / dash cam, saved driver profiles. If I drove
longer distances more often then I’d probably add in the supercharger network, although that’s getting swamped in some areas now. Never needed/used the games, farting seats, light show etc.
MG4 is a very good car. I’ll put up with the laggy screens etc. because they’ll probably get fixed eventually. To me it feels and drives more like a car, which just happens to be electric powered. The Tesla felt like a computer on wheels.

My Biggest concern with Tesla:
  • Elon Musk
  • Resale/depreciation, as a result of Teslas pricing schizophasia, huge downward price movements resales are terrible (good for second-hand Tesla buyers) resulting from Teslas declining in sales growth as they try to stay competitive.
  • Cost of repairs is a killer, double the average for other cars… this will also result in higher insurance costs.
  • Single centre screen (no driver screen) this is not only inconvenient but a genuine safely concern.
  • Boot vs hatchback is a matter for personal preference, but I do prefer a hatch.
Many of you have probably heard partly as a result of points 2 & 3 Hertz is reducing its EV fleet by 20,000 cars (mostly Teslas) so again great for second-hand Tesla buyers with 20,000 used Teslas hitting the second hand market.

My opinion is low millage USED Teslas are really worth considering and a good buy, NEW not so good. You still get full access to the Tesla charging network which to me is the best argument for Tesla right now. Not a such a big concern for me though as I have a good solar setup at home and get free power, I have only used a commercial fast charger the once so far.

The main reason I chose the MG-XP over all the others I tested - simple it’s the most FUN EV under A$90k (at A$60k well under many of the other offering). Before I bought, I rented: the Tesla 3, the Polestar 2, the Volvo C40. Test drove: the BYD Seal AWD, the Volvo CX40 AWD, the Kia Ev6, and the Hyundai Ioniq 5.

Yes I have read this many times Teslas built in China are better finish than those built in their other Tesla factories
Good point on the repair costs. I have seen a few Youtubers with Tesla's mention expensive repair costs too.

Just sold my Model 3 after almost 4 years of ownership. Now bought a Trophy LR, which is, as far as I’m concerned, the better car. Tesla was a leader for the technology it brought to driving, but most other manufacturers have at least caught up, if not surpassed it.
All I miss from the Tesla are fairly trivial things - one pedal driving by default, ability to use cameras for security / dash cam, saved driver profiles. If I drove
longer distances more often then I’d probably add in the supercharger network, although that’s getting swamped in some areas now. Never needed/used the games, farting seats, light show etc.
MG4 is a very good car. I’ll put up with the laggy screens etc. because they’ll probably get fixed eventually. To me it feels and drives more like a car, which just happens to be electric powered. The Tesla felt like a computer on wheels.
That is very interesting from someone with experience of the Tesla M3. And good that you think the MG4 is a very good car. I only have the SE SR and I think it is a very good car as well.

Good point on the repair costs. I have seen a few Youtubers with Tesla's mention expensive repair costs too.
I’m still on a few of the Tesla forums after selling my Model 3. One of the biggest topics is the ridiculous repair costs from Tesla. The guy who posted this photo was quoted £3,400 to fix. …. and this is just one example, there are loads like this.
IMG_2664.jpeg

I got something similar to that fixed at a local body shop for just under £250. Why on earth take a bodywork repair to Tesla?
Apparently Tesla won't release their full shutdown procedure to independents, who then say that health and safety stops them working on a ‘live’ car. I had a minor scratch on mine, and Chipsaway wouldn’t even consider looking at it. Many insurance companies insist on Tesla doing it as well.

Apparently Tesla won't release their full shutdown procedure to independents, who then say that health and safety stops them working on a ‘live’ car. I had a minor scratch on mine, and Chipsaway wouldn’t even consider looking at it. Many insurance companies insist on Tesla doing it as well.
That's ridiculous. At those prices you'll get amateurs and DIYers, who have no idea about working safely on EVs, disconnecting the 12v battery thinking they're safe.

A lot of peeps have mentioned about Tesla extortionate bodywork quotes, but I’ve heard and seen that their normal parts prices are actually very reasonable.

MG on the other hand for are a rip-off, they wanted £450 for just one rear light on my MG4 (when it was a warranty claim anyhow, had to battle with them), I’ve heard the warped undertray is £400+ too if you were to buy it yourself. For a budget manufacturer I wasn’t impressed with MG prices at all.

A lot of peeps have mentioned about Tesla extortionate bodywork quotes, but I’ve heard and seen that their normal parts prices are actually very reasonable.

MG on the other hand for are a rip-off, they wanted £450 for just one rear light on my MG4 (when it was a warranty claim anyhow, had to battle with them), I’ve heard the warped undertray is £400+ too if you were to buy it yourself. For a budget manufacturer I wasn’t impressed with MG prices at all.
Don't believe all the prices you see. @Exeter Driver had his undertray replaced for £200 which included fitting and if you do it yourself I've seen them available for £79.

I've never owned the MG4, but when researching what car to buy for our first EV in 2022 we test drove every car within the budget, but not the M3 as was well out of the budget.

As we narrowed it down, I test drove the MG4, 4 different times before placing the order.
Unfortunately due to the absolute, incompetent, lying and absolute non existent customer service from MG España and the dealer, we, as you know cancelled the order after a year of still waiting with still no car in sight.

As the Tesla, by now, had 3 price cuts and was talk of the new highland refresh, we included it in our new research. Even though we only test drove the old M3, it was so obviously a far better car and was only 2000 euros more for us, with our pre MG price rise order, that we immediately put the order in.

Got the M3HSR November 8 within the time scale they promised.

Have now done 8500 KLM. The highland refresh is also far superior to the old M3 in just about every aspect.

I find glancing to the right for speed no different to glacing down. Indicators on steering wheel got used to in the first 100 km or so. I actually prefer the gear change on the screen to any other gear change I have had.

On the motorway or major road this car shines, the standard autopilot is so much better than the 4 MG4's I test drove. I live in the sticks up a mountain, my road is definitely not the best and the M3H copes with it very well.

Having the navigating plan your route including the charge stops is awesome no hunting for petrol stations anymore, this in my opinion is so much undervalued and much better than android Auto.

I cannot compare the efficiency of the MG4 to the M3HSR but I can say in 8500 KLM, I am getting, driving the car as I would any ice car and probably 70% motorways and major road 7.4 km per kWh, or 4.63 miles per kwh. I am quite confident that in the summer that will improve.

We have so far had 3 software updates, that is so satisfying, getting in the car and suddenly you have a new feature all on auto.

No rattles, panels all line up, totally silent, by far the best car I have ever had.

Last edited:
I've never owned the MG4, but when researching what car to buy for our first EV in 2022 we test drove every car within the budget, but not the M3 as was well out of the budget.

As we narrowed it down, I test drove the MG4, 4 different times before placing the order.
Unfortunately due to the absolute, incompetent, lying and absolute non existent customer service from MG España and the dealer, we, as you know cancelled the order after a year of still waiting with still no car in sight.

As the Tesla, by now, had 3 price cuts and was talk of the new highland refresh, we included it in our new research. Even though we only test drove the old M3, it was so obviously a far better car and was only 2000 euros more for us, with our pre MG price rise order, that we immediately put the order in.

Got the M3HSR November 8 within the time scale they promised.

Have now done 8500 KLM. The highland refresh is also far superior to the old M3 in just about every aspect.

I find glancing to the right for speed no different to glacing down. Indicators on steering wheel got used to in the first 100 km or so. I actually prefer the gear change on the screen to any other gear change I have had.

On the motorway or major road this car shines, the standard autopilot is so much better than the 4 MG4's I test drove. I live in the sticks up a mountain, my road is definitely not the best and the M3H copes with it very well.

Having the navigating plan your route including the charge stops is awesome no hunting for petrol stations anymore, this in my opinion is so much undervalued and much better than android Auto.

I cannot compare the efficiency of the MG4 to the M3HSR but I can say in 8500 KLM, I am getting, driving the car as I would any ice car and probably 70% motorways and major road 7.4 km per kWh, or 4.63 miles per kwh. I am quite confident that in the summer that will improve.

No rattles, panels all line up, totally silent, by far the best car I have ever had.
Good news you are happy with your new M3. I agree that the new version is a big improvement on the previous version, which I had as a long-term hire car a couple of years ago. I have just upgraded my MG4 Long Range, which I have owned for 16 months and 17k miles, to an MG4 Extended Range following my extensive road tests of the MG4 Extended Range, new Tesla M3 and Tesla Model Y. Drive/Ride quality of the M3 and MG4 are now similar, I personally find the MG4 a bit more engaging and agile as it's a slightly smaller car and the hatchback set-up suits my needs more than a saloon boot, hence the reason for the Model Y test drive too. I also found on a like-for-like test that the MG4, based on my driving style, was a little more efficient than the 2 Tesla's I tested back-to-back

We have been happy with our MG EV ownership experience in the past 4 years here in the UK and that's why this will be our 5th MG EV we've owned. Its a shame your MG dealer experience in Spain did not meet with your expectations.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back