MG4 won’t charge at all

Hugh Burnage

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Stranded in France. Nobody knows anything. After three weeks at our French house we were coming home yesterday and couldn’t charge at public stations at all. Quite a number tried and looks like handshaking is the problem and it must be the car. Also had to use little manual emergency cable to be able to remove the charge cable from the car. Is this caused by the same issue? We’ve rebooted the car but no luck. Before we leave the car (and all the wine etc) to the mercy of the French and jump on a train back to UK are there any experiences/ideas anybody?

I have no experience of this problem but will try some guesses, sorry if you have tried them

What does the iSmart app say if you have a connection?
Have you scheduled a charging period?
What battery level is set and have you tried changing it?
Have tried starting charging from the app?

As I said these are guesses around charging options.

Have you tried to lock the car and move the car keys well out of reach from the car (50m should do) for at least 15 minutes? While doing this let car be alone and no messing with the app before you restart the car.
This will normaly reset the car and fixed a simmilar issue on a MF Marvel for me last year.

AC and DC charging appear to be separate. If the car will not charge on Rapid (DC) chargers, have your tried AC chargers (or vice versa)?

AC and DC charging appear to be separate. If the car will not charge on Rapid (DC) chargers, have your tried AC chargers (or vice versa)?
We have been using granny charger at the house since we arrived three weeks ago. No problems at all. Rapid chargers on way down to eye no problem including one of the ones that we failed with this time. Therefore not the rapid chargers which the company rebooted for us and confirmed that their kit was working perfectly. Not the payments for sure. The car is the only thing left and everyone I have spoken to here concludes it’s the car. We’re coming home now and hope MG France will sort it quickly

Stranded in France. Nobody knows anything. After three weeks at our French house we were coming home yesterday and couldn’t charge at public stations at all. Quite a number tried and looks like handshaking is the problem and it must be the car. Also had to use little manual emergency cable to be able to remove the charge cable from the car. Is this caused by the same issue? We’ve rebooted the car but no luck. Before we leave the car (and all the wine etc) to the mercy of the French and jump on a train back to UK are there any experiences/ideas anybody?
Does the car come up with any error messages?, any issues I've had has been resolved using an RFID card - as I dont think it needs needs a live data connection to your bank?

Also: Never had an issue with the TelsaSupercharger system (ones available to non-tesla's) - Find Us | Tesla to see if one is nearby to test out?

Last edited:
Had same problem with my ZS mk2 tried on 5 different charges both DC and AC, end the end disconnected the 12v battery for 10 minutes. It worked again after this.
this problem occurred again a few days later, this time went straight for the 12vbattery, again problem resolved. Not had since

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back