MG4 X-Power waiting area

If you are pulling out into fast moving traffic then to be able to get to 60 in 3 seconds is amazing and a lot of fun.

A bit naughty but to be able to do more than double that in a few more seconds is very exiting just to show off

That is slightly odd. He repeatedly says this is the smaller battery, and that it's 51 KWh. But several times I saw that the car he's driving has Trophy spoilers on it. Also, at one point he seems to be on a fast type 2 charger and it's getting more like Trophy charge speeds from it (I think).

Another interesting thing is that in that car the central screen's battery charge display seems to be working properly, in that it goes amber when it's below somewhere around 50% and red when it's below maybe 20%. There have been various hints that that's how it's supposed to work, but in most of our cars it stays green and only comed up amber at random sometimes just for the hell of it.

I saw amber apparently for real on mine when the charge got below 5%, never red. In another of Bjorn's videos the car he's driving is doing that too. Amber when very low, and never red. Another bug I think.
My facelift MG 5 goes amber at 50% and I think it's ridiculous. There's 140 miles left in it and it goes amber.. My MG4 SE is much better and goes Amber under 20% IIRC and red under 5%. I much prefer that.

Mine stays green till about 4% then goes amber. I've never seen it red. I'm easy about the percentages because I can read the numbers, but I'd quite like it to do something sensible.

Mine stays green till about 4% then goes amber. I've never seen it red. I'm easy about the percentages because I can read the numbers, but I'd quite like it to do something sensible.
It's a bit strange how they are all different... 🤔 5%is a bit low to still be green. 😬

Is the x power classed as a super car or not?

It’s definitely a sports car, what is the definition of a super car?

The truth is it is faster than many super crs and would beat many of them in a race.

A supercar – also called exotic car – is a loosely defined description of street-legal, high-performance sports cars. Since the 2010s, the term hypercar has come into use for the highest performing supercars.

The term is, to some extent, subjective, but most hypercars offer somewhere between 500 and 900 horsepower, reach top speeds of 200+ mph, hit 60 mph from 0 in roughly three seconds, and weigh between 2,200 and 3,700 pounds.

So the Xoower is just less than 500 horsepower to be a hypercar, and won’t do 200mph like a hypercar but will do 0-62 in about 3 seconds like a hypercar.

So it’s definitely not a hypercar even though 0-60 like a hypercar which cost hundreds of thousands of pounds but I think it does fit all the definitions of a super car and it’s probably the lowest priced super car ever.

It's definitely not a super car and wouldn't beat them in a race, it may give a few a race in a straight quarter mile race but that is it.

A supercar will out handle, out brake and destroy it on top end speed.

You would only need to take them out onto a track to see.

Lamborghini Gallardo would destroy an X Power round a track for example and down country roads

Last edited:
Lamborghini Gallardo Is not a realistic comparison that is nearer to a hyper car. But even so the Xpower has faster 0-62 and is about the same BHP.

We are talking about realistic road legal super cars to compare to like the

BMW i8​

BMW i8
Best cheap supercars - pictures | Auto Express
Xpower beats this super car on every single benchmark except for top speed unrestricted. It’s restricted to 125 but it will be interesting to see when someone hacks it what the derestricted top speed will be. I suspect similar to this BMW super car

Last edited:
There is no clear definition of what makes a super car. But people used to talk about a 6 second car as something special and a 3 second car as out of this world amazing

Today you can by a 3 second car for a realistic price you could use as an everyday runabout for fun. Many time the 3 second to 60mph will be used.

Top end doesn’t matter as how often are you going to break the law and drive 125mph?

I suspect a lot of people go well over 70 for short bursts maybe over 100 -125 very occasionally but hardly at all because it’s a risk you could lose your license.

Very occasionally on a big empty motorway where I can see the road ahead for miles I may be tempted to go over 100 just for a brief moment but I can’t see the point in derestricting it to be able to go over the 125 restriction

Last edited:
I understand it’s pronounced ”X ooh err” - so named because this is what you will be saying when the factory fitted brakes catch fire because you thought you were driving a supercar.

Going from 0 to 60 very rapidly, as the X Power can, does not make it a supercar, nowhere near.

Some serious mods would be needed to describe this as a supercar with a straight face.

There is no clear definition of what makes a super car. But people used to talk about a 6 second car as something special and a 3 second car as out of this world amazing

Today you can by a 3 second car for a realistic price you could use as an everyday runabout for fun. Many time the 3 second to 60mph will be used.

Top end doesn’t matter as how often are you going to break the law and drive 125mph?

I suspect a lot of people go well over 70 for short bursts maybe over 100 -125 very occasionally but hardly at all because it’s a risk you could lose your license.

Very occasionally on a big empty motorway where I can see the road ahead for miles I may be tempted to go over 100 just for a brief moment but I can’t see the point in derestricting it to be able to go over the 125 restriction
I have a ZS, its super :sneaky:

Lamborghini Gallardo Is not a realistic comparison that is nearer to a hyper car. But even so the Xpower has faster 0-62 and is about the same BHP.

We are talking about realistic road legal super cars to compare to like the

BMW i8​

BMW i8
Best cheap supercars - pictures | Auto Express
Xpower beats this super car on every single benchmark except for top speed unrestricted. It’s restricted to 125 but it will be interesting to see when someone hacks it what the derestricted top speed will be. I suspect similar to this BMW super car
No it's not, hyper cars are hundreds of thousands of pounds, even millions.
A Gallardo was and is a supercar

An mg4 of any description will never be a supercar you are having a laugh.

It's a really quick EV, that would beat quite a lot of expensive cars over a quarter mile straight road race, the get overtaken and left behind.

Going by your reasoning the performance Volvo EX30 is a supercar, it's a performance EV SUV and it's quicker than the XPower

Sports Car vs. Supercar: Sports cars can deliver exhilarating handling and precision, but supercars take things to the next level with even lower acceleration times and even higher top speeds. Sports cars may also offer four full seats or more practical interior finishes. Although most drivers want to bring home the fastest model, you could also think of the sports car as an understated alternative to the brash, unmistakable supercar.

Supercar vs. Hypercar: The distinction between a supercar and a hypercar also relies primarily on the latter’s even more impressive performance. Hypercars tend to offer more than 800 horsepower, go from 0 to 60 in under three seconds, and hit top speeds ranging from 215 to 270 miles per hour. Beyond this, enthusiasts may also distinguish a supercar from a hypercar on the basis of each model’s driving feel, engine position, style, and intended market—with hypercars offering a certain extravagance that even supercars can’t match.

The vague definition of Super car became too obtainable so Hypercar was coined, we’ll be on Ultracars before long I’m sure.
None of that makes the Xpower qualify as a super car though, it can compete in one metric (and decimate in price) but that’s because it isn’t one IMHO.

It’s a massively OP budget EV because power is now cheap. I’m glad to be getting one as it’ll be fun. Just my 2c and I’m not trying to piss on your chips, you call it what you want 😊 I just don’t think you’ll get many to agree, most won’t even grant it the rank of “hot hatch”

Completely agree here, that’s why I want it. For that grin. And acceleration IS useable in more than just drag races, it’s better for (safe and sensible) overtakes, moving into traffic from a junction, even just getting up to speed from a 30 zone to NSL it’ll make you grin. 😁

I should stop reading this thread. I love my SE SR. It does everything I want it to do. I'm not really missing the GTi in terms of performance. Doing over 100 mph is a seriously bad idea anyway.

I'm still hellish tempted.
You just need to test drive one, that’ll prove you don’t need it over what you’ve got :devilish:

Genuinely would be curious for an existing owner to try one and give a fair opinion on what it may gain/lack from the standard ones. I think the 50:50 and RWD is compromised a bit but it’d be nice to hear if it’s noticeably bad or just less good if that makes sense.

I see EV database have posted their expected figures for the X Power.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230720-113927.png
    Screenshot_20230720-113927.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20230720-114031.png
    Screenshot_20230720-114031.png
    348.8 KB · Views: 62
Completely agree here, that’s why I want it. For that grin. And acceleration IS useable in more than just drag races, it’s better for (safe and sensible) overtakes, moving into traffic from a junction, even just getting up to speed from a 30 zone to NSL it’ll make you grin. 😁

That is exactly why I upgraded from a Fiesta 1.1 litre to a 1.8 litre XR2. I'd completely had it with being unable to overtake lorries on the A24, and sometimes getting into dodgy situations when I tried. It's why time to 60 mph was always a big issue with me when buying a new car. The XR2 was succeeded by a Peugeot 306 GTi6 (a real sleeper car) and then a Golf GTi Mk 6. All with reasonable bat-out-of-hell capabilities.

I was a little doubtful about the MG4's capability in that respect on paper, but all the reviews were so positive, and when I test drove it, I really wasn't conscious of any deficiency in acceleration. I think it's partly because most of the acceleration power is at the beginning, when you really want it, there's no wheel-spin if you try to take off fast, and you don't get the hesitation I had with the Golf - I don't know if it was turbo lag or the DSG, but it didn't respond immediately you hit the accelerator. The MG4 does.

But, but....

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom