MG4 X-Power waiting area

If an EV has a "performance" version, it was likely originally designed as that version, and one motor removed for the "normal" cars.
According to Carwow:

"To help put this power down through the corners, the MG 4 XPower has re-tuned suspension, stiffer anti-roll bars and electronic torque vectoring to help slingshot you through the bends. You also get uprated brakes to help you stop almost as quickly as you accelerate".

Definitely sounds like MG have done more than just put an extra motor in thankfully. I've had a brief 30 mins in the Xpower around the Eastbourne area on a couple of dual-carriageways and town driving and it does fly. Won't be using on a track (lease insurance would prevent this anyway) but for such a small increase over the Trophy, I'll have the faster version thanks.

Given most reviews say that it is anything but a hot hatch, and that many mg4 drivers are probably north of 50 years old (me included) and well aware of both the car and my own limitations, I’m not expecting a huge spike in accidents associated with the power.

My test drive whilst enjoyable from an acceleration perspective was mainly focused on how it drives through towns and villages.

I have no intention of breaking the speed limit, but do look forward to making use of the straight line acceleration when it can be used appropriately and safely.

I love the trophy that I have and know its limitations too and have no plans to push the xpower beyond my or its capabilities.

Given most reviews say that it is anything but a hot hatch, and that many mg4 drivers are probably north of 50 years old (me included) and well aware of both the car and my own limitations, I’m not expecting a huge spike in accidents associated with the power.

My test drive whilst enjoyable from an acceleration perspective was mainly focused on how it drives through towns and villages.

I have no intention of breaking the speed limit, but do look forward to making use of the straight line acceleration when it can be used appropriately and safely.

I love the trophy that I have and know its limitations too and have no plans to push the xpower beyond my or its capabilities.
Yep I was 50 in March so I can see your points. I've had an Audi e-tron for 3 years which was fast enough for a heavy car, so I'll be looking forward to something quicker and lighter. Can't really make much use of the extra power apart from the odd traffic light blast and comfortably overtaking on motorways, but for the small increase in monthly payment, I'd gladly take the Xpower. If this was a Tesla forum, most people would take the dual motor over the RWD version or the performance of they could afford it. At least MG are offering various models for various budgets at a more reasonable price that virtually all other manufacturers.

According to Carwow:

"To help put this power down through the corners, the MG 4 XPower has re-tuned suspension, stiffer anti-roll bars and electronic torque vectoring to help slingshot you through the bends. You also get uprated brakes to help you stop almost as quickly as you accelerate".

Definitely sounds like MG have done more than just put an extra motor in thankfully. I've had a brief 30 mins in the Xpower around the Eastbourne area on a couple of dual-carriageways and town driving and it does fly. Won't be using on a track (lease insurance would prevent this anyway) but for such a small increase over the Trophy, I'll have the faster version thanks.

I don’t think the brakes are upgraded, are they?
I think it’s standard 4 stuff.
If they were actually upgraded they wouldn’t bother with the Aliexpress/Halfords calipers covers that make them look like they’re upgraded.

I don’t think the brakes are upgraded, are they?
I think it’s standard 4 stuff.
If they were actually upgraded they wouldn’t bother with the Aliexpress/Halfords calipers covers that make them look like they’re upgraded.
Definitely larger discs front & rear according to a couple of websites I've seen

Bit concerned by the trend towards 400 plus horsepower EVs. Brabus Smart, Volvo , M.G etc. I've driven many supercars when part of a car club and huge horsepower needs to be used carefully. Also these fast ICE cars are specifically engineered for this power. Stuffing another motor in is of course very tempting and cheap - and I will probably join the club eventually - but will need to be convinced by the additional engineering .

Great deal

Blame the ICE ‘milk float’ brigade.
EV manufacturers are desperate to shut them up.

Definitely larger discs front & rear according to a couple of websites I've seen

That would usually come with larger calipers.
In which case, just display them and get rid of the stupid covers.
Weird decision making.

I've just ordered Xpower in Black via Tusker on salary sacrifice. Surprisingly, it was only £14 p/m more than the Trophy I'd previously ordered. Trophy cancelled and now back of the queue again for the Xpower.
I’m waiting for it to appear on Tusker and can’t see it. Did you call up?

I've just ordered Xpower in Black via Tusker on salary sacrifice. Surprisingly, it was only £14 p/m more than the Trophy I'd previously ordered. Trophy cancelled and now back of the queue again for the Xpower.
I’m waiting for the Xpower to drop on Tusker. Was it online or did you phone them? I can’t see it on the website.

I’m waiting for it to appear on Tusker and can’t see it. Did you call up?
No, just appeared today online. You have to change the drop-down for 'Type' to show the dual motor option.

My understanding is that the rear discs are no bigger, because they don't need to be, so they elected to fit covers all round to even up the appearance.
Twice today I've heard 345mm ventilated discs all round on the Xpower on different YouTube vids.

Thinking about ordering one through my salary sacrifice scheme at work.
£342 per month (after tax etc) sound okay?
3 years, 7500 miles.
I’ve yet to investigate pcp deals.
Trophy looks like it’s £431 per month. Strange pricing but makes me think I should lock in the XPower now!

Delivery in 30 weeks, but I’ve heard most cars are quicker just now.
Currently got a Zoe but can get rid of it in around that timescale.

Last edited:
Thinking about ordering one through my salary sacrifice scheme at work.
£342 per month (after tax etc) sound okay?
3 years, 7500 miles.
I’ve yet to investigate pcp deals.
Trophy looks like it’s £431 per month. Strange pricing but makes me think I should lock in the XPower now!

Delivery in 30 weeks, but I’ve heard most cars are quicker just now.
Currently got a Zoe but can get rid of it in around that timescale.
Sounds like a good deal. Lock in the quote just in case and then you should have 14 days to place order if you decide to. Hopefully 30 weeks is worse case scenario.

Following driving 3 different xpowers at 3 different dealerships they all had a harmonic vibration at 70mph. I've cancelled my order and got a ioniq 5awd ultimate (tech pack) with less than ave miles on a 22plate for less than 36k. The quality is night and day between the xpower and ioniq 5. Not as quick I admit and marmite styling. I'm going to watch how the xpower unfolds as there's an underlying vibration that a few have noticed and even dealers say 'o yeh there is a vibration..... what colour do you want?' Who knows, they fix it and I'll look at changing my wife's car. Good luck to those ordering and have one on order.

Sounds like a good deal. Lock in the quote just in case and then you should have 14 days to place order if you decide to. Hopefully 30 weeks is worse case scenario.
did just that - price locked in and test drive at my local MG Friday. Will decide after that.
At zero deposit / £351pm it almost seems like a no brainer (when including insurance, servicing, tyres, tax when it kicks in).
Here’s hoping it drives okay…….

At zero deposit / £351pm it almost seems like a no brainer (when including insurance, servicing, tyres, tax when it kicks in).
Here’s hoping it drives okay…….
They drive really well. Sure it's not a Taycan but we're all on this forum due to the price etc. Happy that people highlight their experiences but there's good & bad in everything. How many Tesla fan boys out there refuse to admit about panel gaps etc!

They drive really well. Sure it's not a Taycan but we're all on this forum due to the price etc. Happy that people highlight their experiences but there's good & bad in everything. How many Tesla fan boys out there refuse to admit about panel gaps etc!

Panel gaps don’t bother anyone driving at 70mph.

All this talk has me wondering so I’m off for a second test drive on Friday to see if I notice the vibration. I didn’t really get to cruising speed on my first test as I was busy with back roads and launching heh. Will try and see how it goes and if it irks me.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom