MG5 Long Range - real range ?

I am on my second EV and an owner of an MG5 Long Range since September. I have a home chargepoint and have clocked up 4000 miles since September.

I am concerned that even driven at a very sensible pace (say 61mph on adaptive cruise control) and with Kers Mode 2 engaged with no aircon on and being really really aware of road conditions and being an experienced EV driver that the charge NEVER goes above 203 available miles.

I love the car, think it's fantastic for the money but even discounting colder weather I've never seen anywhere near the 250 mile range in the battery, 201/203 being the MOST ever indicated. That includes balancing the batteries.

Anyone else seeing this ?
Hi Dick. I think most MG5LR & SR owners are fascinated by and love their cars so much that they want to present their experience in a really positive optimistic way, me included!. But I strongly suspect that some of the really high miles/kwh claims on the forum may relate to unusually favourable conditions. I've driven half a dozen LR and SR MG5s over the last year ( another story there! ) and I would say that if you're concerned about mls/kwh being on the low side ( or the high side ! ) the only really sure way to measure this is to charge the car to the brim now and again after doing a fair number of miles. Make a note of the kwh's used and the miles driven. That way you get a 100% true value of mls/kwh. The GOM and %used indicators are a rough guide only. Sometimes they coincide with actual economy but often they can be very optimistic or pessimistic. Over the last few months of winter driving with heating, lights on, mixed town/motorway, usually 60 mile round trips, I'm averaging 3.4 m/kwh. In summer with air con on "econ" I was averaging about 4m/kwh. The most economical times of year seem to be spring and autumn with no air con/no heating where I was easily getting 4.2-4.5. So my seasonal performance is about 205 in winter to about 250 in summer. And with a few temperate weeks giving as high as 260-270. The worst economy I have had was in January. I happened to be doing a lot of shortish journeys with frost/darkness on the motorway ( 10 ml round trips ) where the cabin took a while to warm up. Showed 2.4m/kwh (eek) for first mile or so then evened out to about 3.2 ). Inn any case electric would need to go to 80p/kwh to match diesel. Even if electric became dearer I'd still prefer my silent fast Mg5 with highly convenient home charging. I curse whenever I get into my other car ( 2.4 Diesel volvo ). Previously deemed luxurious but now feels live the cavemobile from the Flintsones compared to the Mg!.

I am on my second EV and an owner of an MG5 Long Range since September. I have a home chargepoint and have clocked up 4000 miles since September.

I am concerned that even driven at a very sensible pace (say 61mph on adaptive cruise control) and with Kers Mode 2 engaged with no aircon on and being really really aware of road conditions and being an experienced EV driver that the charge NEVER goes above 203 available miles.

I love the car, think it's fantastic for the money but even discounting colder weather I've never seen anywhere near the 250 mile range in the battery, 201/203 being the MOST ever indicated. That includes balancing the batteries.

ignore the figure on left ... Do the calculation ie today I travelled 180 miles starting from 100% charge and my battery is 34% left that equates to 282 miles on the full charge .. I have found that the range figure at start of full charge never changes , it doesn't update itself to your driving style ... Do the maths ... also if you go into the info screen it gives you miles per KWH ... mine shows an ongoing avarage of 4.4 which equals 268 miles ..I drove from Thetford to Clacton and about ...A14 and country lanes and a bit of town

Do the maths on the screen for a true result .. today I covered 181 miles and have 34% battery left that equates to 284 miles on a full charge ... This journey today was from Thetford to Clacton covering various road conditions A14, country lanes and a bit of town work ... My battery at the start showed 254 but as you can see I managed more

Do the maths on the screen for a true result .. today I covered 181 miles and have 34% battery left that equates to 284 miles on a full charge ... This journey today was from Thetford to Clacton covering various road conditions A14, country lanes and a bit of town work ... My battery at the start showed 254 but as you can see I managed more
Well done Les. The MG5 whether LR or SR is a very efficient BEV. The LR version goes as far as the LR version of the New ZS EV, but it has a battery that is 10kWh smaller !

ignore the figure on left ... Do the calculation ie today I travelled 180 miles starting from 100% charge and my battery is 34% left that equates to 282 miles on the full charge .. I have found that the range figure at start of full charge never changes , it doesn't update itself to your driving style ... Do the maths ... also if you go into the info screen it gives you miles per KWH ... mine shows an ongoing avarage of 4.4 which equals 268 miles ..I drove from Thetford to Clacton and about ...A14 and country lanes and a bit of town
It does alter depending upon your past driving history. It uses the Accumulative trip information. If you never reset this it will stabilise and change very slowly as you add more and more miles.
If you reset that at anytime it will recalculate your range, GOM, to the factory settings of WLTP * battery percentage.

My worst real world range was short frosty short journeys in January & some cold motorway runs.

Averaged 3.1m/kw so 180 miles.

On longer cross country trips I am now averaging 4.4 to 4.5m/kw so 240-250 miles.

I have seen 280 on the GOM in the last week too.

There's a lot more to it than Eco mode + KERS3 you know!

Hi
Watched this on YouTube last night
It may help with how far will it go in winter😂

I had a look at it and my Mg5 SR does exactly the same 2.9 and 150 to 170 miles on full charge driven sensibly. Great post with a lot of useful info to back it up.

This is my first ev and being a pensioner I find all this quite confusing. Think I'll just drive it till it needs charged then pop down to my local charging station and charge it. Fab forum by the way 😀

The hard part is breaking the fossil fuel mindset. You need to 'graze' to make it work well, especially with free chargers. Don't full charge, empty, full charge. Keep it between 20% and 80% and only going over if you need that extra range. Just keep topping off as you go.

You are achieving 3.29 miles/kWh, it has a 61.1 kWh battery, so that works out at 201.02 mile range which makes your figures in your 1st post sensible. (3.29 x 61.1)

As you know, it will improve with the weather.
Over our three day jolly to Arrochar and Oban we drove predominantly on A roads with light to medium traffic. The weather was excellent and the temperatures around 10 C. We were getting an average 4.1mpk. Back home with a 100% charged and balanced battery the GOM is now saying 254 miles after initially promising 270 when I disconnected from the home charger last night.

This is my first ev and being a pensioner I find all this quite confusing. Think I'll just drive it till it needs charged then pop down to my local charging station and charge it. Fab forum by the way 😀
Where is your local charging station Geo68 - in Cumbernauld on regular basis so knowing where to charge would be convenient...

There are few of us who are pensioners on here anything you find confusing just ask and you will normally get some sound advice from MG owners who can help.

There are few of us who are pensioners on here anything you find confusing just ask and you will normally get some sound advice from MG owners who can help.
Geo68, do you have, or are you in a position to have a fast charger installed at your home? Not an option if your on the 17th floor of course. The cable would be too long!. Seriously though, it's usually much much cheaper to charge from home.

Geo68, do you have, or are you in a position to have a fast charger installed at your home? Not an option if your on the 17th floor of course. The cable would be too long!. Seriously though, it's usually much much cheaper to charge from home.
Lots of free chargers in Cumbernauld so in reality much more expensive to charge at home

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom