MG5 Long Range - real range ?

What a difference the weather makes eh.

Little run out for lunch yesterday to the other side of Holmfirth (The Oil Can Café) a round trip of 65 mixed miles, motorway A-roads, town and lots of hills. Used 24% of battery and achieved overall 5m/kWh.

Happy days.
Crivens that's really good! Interestingly, 24% of battery with usable of 57kwh is about 13.7kwh which works out at 4.4m/kwh ( 60/13.7 ) which is still excellent. So I wonder how accurate the % used display is. Was that without aircon or heating and maybe travelling at 60 ish on motorway/A roads? I did a long mixed run yesterday and got 3.8 which I was very pleased with, but not as good your 4.4 ( or 5 on the console ).

By the way, my missus overlooking my shoulder just said that no one says "crivens" any more and thatt it makes me sound like an old duffer!. No problem though. I am an old duffer.

I do a lot of things consciously and some sub-consciously but I'm not sure if I criven much, what does it mean? :)

EDIT: Oh, I see you sue it as an exclamation of surprise...!

I do a lot of things consciously and some sub-consciously but I'm not sure if I criven much, what does it mean? :)

EDIT: Oh, I see you sue it as an exclamation of surprise...!
Always pleased to entertain and edify. Yes, and sometimes used in a combo : "Jings! Crivens! Help ma boab!'". Unless south of the border in which case the equivalent would be "Oh, I say!".

Example : "My 4.4 litre Diesel Rangerover does about 12 to the gallon round the town". Responder : "Jings! Crivens! Help ma boab!'" or "H**y C**p! that's terrible!..wish I'd bought an Mg5!"

Always pleased to entertain and edify. Yes, and sometimes used in a combo : "Jings! Crivens! Help ma boab!'". Unless south of the border in which case the equivalent would be "Oh, I say!".

Example : "My 4.4 litre Diesel Rangerover does about 12 to the gallon round the town". Responder : "Jings! Crivens! Help ma boab!'" or "H**y C**p! that's terrible!..wish I'd bought an Mg5!"
Sparkygoat, you'll find a lot of Terry Pratchett readers using "Crivens". It's a good word, covers a lot of things.

Crivens that's really good! Interestingly, 24% of battery with usable of 57kwh is about 13.7kwh which works out at 4.4m/kwh ( 60/13.7 ) which is still excellent. So I wonder how accurate the % used display is. Was that without aircon or heating and maybe travelling at 60 ish on motorway/A roads? I did a long mixed run yesterday and got 3.8 which I was very pleased with, but not as good your 4.4 ( or 5 on the console ).

By the way, my missus overlooking my shoulder just said that no one says "crivens" any more and thatt it makes me sound like an old duffer!. No problem though. I am an old duffer.
I wonder if the extra may be the added bonus of regen on the journey. 🤷‍♂️ but who knows how the little box works it out !

Also I dropped from 58% to 34% but was that 58.1 to 34.9 or somewhere in between ?

Hi
I did a round trip to Cleethorpes from Barnsley yesterday
I did 147 there and back a & b roads (at the speed limit) and motorways at 70mph
Air con, radio, sat nav and dash cam on
Eco mode (but not on air con) regen 3 all the way and mg pilot on
I averaged 4.0 kWh
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
72F5C489-0FDC-4C32-9B7D-46747952354E.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi
I did a round trip to Cleethorpes from Barnsley yesterday
I did 147 there and back a, b (@speed limit) and motorways @70mph
Air con,radio sat nav and dash cam on
Eco mode (but not on air con) regen 3 all the way and mg pilot on
I averaged 4.0 kWh
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻View attachment 7585
That is really good economy. Mine is red. Maybe the red ones are a bit less economical that the silver ones? :cool:

Somebody read too much Oor Wullie

Another grand day in the 5LR yesterday. Left Bo’ness after disconnecting from the Rolec on the wall and resetting the dash. Drove to Brechin, Church St car park and roosted alongside a black ZS on the type2. We plugged in the CCS and went round the corner to the Auld Bakehouse restaurant where we sampled their delicious soups, one asparagus and one lentil 👌👌
In that time the car recharged to 92%, a wee bit over the 80 but there were no other (relevant- non smelly fuelled) cars around.
Left there and drove to Banchory via the beautiful Cairn o’ Mount road which is steep and twisty and costs nothing to drive over. We used virtually the identical miles to climb one side as we regenerated down the other ( when I think of the petrol and diesel fumes and soot I’ve deposited there over the last fifty odd years I’m ashamed- it’s glorious countryside)
We retraced the road back later last night to complete the 260 mile round trip with 38% left and the accumulated mpk reading 4.4.
And that’s the best I could manage for team red with the heavy paint 🤩🤩

Just imagine if you had team silver 😂. Good going there, looking forward to long drives 😀
Ah yes but bearing in mind that the snow gate warning signs are very prominent on the Cairn road, I’d be very concerned. We’ve traversed that route through huge four and five foot walls of pre- decimal snow. Now I vividly recall being deeply concerned about losing light coloured cars - perhaps right through to teatime 😱

Another grand day in the 5LR yesterday. Left Bo’ness after disconnecting from the Rolec on the wall and resetting the dash. Drove to Brechin, Church St car park and roosted alongside a black ZS on the type2. We plugged in the CCS and went round the corner to the Auld Bakehouse restaurant where we sampled their delicious soups, one asparagus and one lentil 👌👌
In that time the car recharged to 92%, a wee bit over the 80 but there were no other (relevant- non smelly fuelled) cars around.
Left there and drove to Banchory via the beautiful Cairn o’ Mount road which is steep and twisty and costs nothing to drive over. We used virtually the identical miles to climb one side as we regenerated down the other ( when I think of the petrol and diesel fumes and soot I’ve deposited there over the last fifty odd years I’m ashamed- it’s glorious countryside)
We retraced the road back later last night to complete the 260 mile round trip with 38% left and the accumulated mpk reading 4.4.
And that’s the best I could manage for team red with the heavy paint 🤩🤩
Great write up. Go reds go! Come on ye reds!😀. Amazing how easily the Mg5 eats the cairn o mount. 12 to 15% gradients?. Don't even notice them now. My old multi litre jeep struggled there while spewing soot around !😀

Goldilocks: I was amazed to get 4.3 yesterday over a 80 mile mixed drive. No aircon, no heating. Just
normal driving in my Mg5LR. So, when the weather's not too hot, not too cold, no rain that seems best for economy. Very pleased.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom