MG5 LR charging with a Zappi 2 in Eco2

RogerWill

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Does anyone know if there is a minimum charge when using the Eco2 mode when using solar or wind energy
Or indeed if on a Zappi or similar anyone is successfully charging with low amperage.
Our car does very few miles weekdays, thus can spend a day(s) being slowly topped up for free( besides solar/ wind generator and electronics/ cabling
Thank you

Solar or wind energy- the Eco is followed by 2 leaves as symbols not the ++ I have shown

If one solar panel is 120W at 20 Volts is 2.4A, then do you think on a poor daylight day if 2 X 120Watt panels used giving a theoretical 4.8A one may often get > 1.4A ie just under 25% capability

If one solar panel is 120W at 20 Volts is 2.4A, then do you think on a poor daylight day if 2 X 120Watt panels used giving a theoretical 4.8A one may often get > 1.4A ie just under 25% capability
You are confusing your units. The minimum charging is 1.4kW, i.e. 1,400W, which is really 6A at 230 volts. Actually this is not an absolute, some cars will charge at much lower rates if signalled appropriately by the charge point, but it's not part of the standard.
Clearly you will not get 1,400W from two 120W panels even on a sunny day.

High BugEyed, can you please quantify / show calculations -how much energy from 1 single 120watt panel, for me to then work out a minimum of ( paralleled - yes ?) panels.
Does the voltage have to be the equivalent of 240V ie 12 panels 12 x 20V = 240.
Can the voltage or current be modified to give 240V from 6 panels or less eg 2x voltage but 1)2 current giving 1.5A ( ish)

Panels are rated based on a defined level of light which can be slightly exceeded in the UK on a good day by 10-20%. But there output is approximately as rated, so to get 1.4kW you need at least 12 (12x120W>1.4kW) panels. The panels produce DC which perversely requires conversion to AC before being converted back to DC (at a higher voltage) by the car.
Normally that number of panels needs to be in a combination of 6 in series with 2 sets in parallel, but it depends on the details.
I'd suggest that a system of "only" 1.4kWp (potential, assuming good sun) isn't worth the hassle as often it'll produce less than the required 1.4kW and the car will not be charged when the Sun available is less than ideal. I'd suggest an absolute minimum of 2kWp to be worthwhile.

Solar or wind energy- the Eco is followed by 2 leaves as symbols not the ++ I have shown
Hi so lm glad you got that bit cleared up about + and leaves, the Zappi can charge in 3 modes, fast mode at 7.2kw and show FAST in the display, then you have eco mode Eco and one single leaf shown on the display, next is Eco Plus mode and on the display is Eco and 2 leafs.

Now in fast mode the zappi will use 7.2KWs and for example if your Solar is generating 2kw the zappi will use these plus 5.2kw from the grid, this grid draw will vary depending on what the solar is producing at any moment in time, but it will always output 7.2kw in the fast mode so at night time it will take all the 7.2 kw from the grid as there will be no solar.

Now in Eco one leaf, the Zappi needs 1.4 KW minimum and will get this from solar or grid supply, so if your solar panels are generating more than 1.4 no power is used from the grid and all of the output from the solar gos into the car, but if a cloud comes by and you solar panels output drops to say 0.8 kw the zappi will keep charging by drawing 0.6 kw from the grid to give you 1.4kw going into the car until the clouds clear also in this mode if your solar panels are generating more than 1.4 lets say 3.2 kw then the zappi will put the 3.2kw into the car assuming nothing is being use elsewhere in the home and if everything is being use in the home Zappi will just take 1.4kw from the grid to keep going until the home stops using power

Now Eco and 2 leafs this is know as Eco Plus in this mode the Zappi will only charge the car when your solar is generating more than 1.4kw and will never draw power from the grid so if your solar is generating 3.2 kw the car gets 3.2 again assuming nothing is being used in the home going to it, but if the solar generation drops below 1.4kw the charge to the car stops.
Also in this mode if let’s say the solar is generating 3.2 kw and someone turns on the kettle in the house which can draw 3kw the car will stop charging as the house will be taking all of the solar generation until the kettle turns off.

I for one never use the Eco Plus mode 2 leafs, as when the Zappi stops send power to the car because the clouds have come over or someone is using it in the house for the kettle or the tumble dryer the solenoids in the car are tripping in and out every time the power is lost from the Zappi and that cannot be good for them in my opinion as they can go on and off many many time in a day.

Anyhow RogerWill that’s my take on it just one other thing in the fast mode 7.2kw this will reduce down to around 0.3kw as the article becomes fully charge and can continue at that rate for a few hours sometimes as it does the battery balancing and then the Zappi will shutdown
In Eco mode one leaf, it will do this as well.
But in Eco Plus mode 2 leafs it will not as if the power drops the Zappi will stop.
Hope this lot helps.
Les

That is a very clear take and understood a big thank you.
I like the idea of solar panels, but for now the car has cost a lot, including just short of £2000 for the Zappy and an updated fusebox/ fuses.
The point of going eV is to cancel out the up front costs with savings over time.
But we need to have a think as even for instance the £130 type 2 we bought( as a back up really, just incase) will take a long time to make back ie about a years driving at our current £0.24p/ KW.
Thanks again very much.
We do love the car, just seems for us so right as a compromise car ie my wife replacing her Ibiza and local trips, me for the capacity as I sold a Berlingo and need space for off road bikes and fishing ( keeping all inside the car).
Seems whatever we do at present the car is overall giving 4.3m/KW - which is just fine and slowly coming to terms with range angst.

I like the idea of solar panels, but for now the car has cost a lot, including just short of £2000 for the Zappy and an updated fusebox/ fuses.
The point of going eV is to cancel out the up front costs with savings over time.
But we need to have a think as even for instance the £130 type 2 we bought( as a back up really, just incase) will take a long time to make back ie about a years driving at our current £0.24p/ KW.
Thanks again very much.
We do love the car, just seems for us so right as a compromise car ie my wife replacing her Ibiza and local trips, me for the capacity as I sold a Berlingo and need space for off road bikes and fishing ( keeping all inside the car).
Seems whatever we do at present the car is overall giving 4.3m/KW - which is just fine and slowly coming to terms with range angst.
Wow I am waiting for a quote for a zappi installation but if it’s anywhere near £2k I’ll be going with the £995 hypervolt installation with the same company.

Thanks again very much.
To be honest Roger if you have not got solar there are far far cheaper options out there and even the Supplied granny charger will do the job at around 2.3kw per hour a neighbour of mine has had his MG 5 just a week less than me and only ever uses the granny never ever been to a fast or rapid charger but as only driven around 2300 miles in 15 months so can manage with his granny charger.
Les

In normal times ownership of a car for such a low mileage is ridiculous.
We are all different and have different needs also remember we have been in a lock down situation and people who might be Vulnerable have not been going anywhere for the last couple of years, and they might put a few more miles on the clock now the situation has improved a little well at lease we think it has.

I don’t think my neighbours did the wrong thing if you think about it when my car arrived they saw it,like it,had a go in it and then about a week later bought one.

MGs £4000 off plus £3500 grant from the government at the time was not to be sniffed at how we all wish today them incentives to buy where still around plus he recently got an offer from car-zoo I think it was of almost £2000 more than he paid for it so good luck to them his what I say.
Les

It may be alien to some :) but some people own and replace things whether they need them or not, and regardless of whether there is a cost justification for them.

OK a car could be said to be a rather extreme expense if you don't really need it, but often so is replacement bathroom or kitchen, or a new mobile phone, or a foreign holiday.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom