MG5 LR charging with a Zappi 2 in Eco2

1/2 cost is new fuse box, to meet issue 8+ regs.
If you have to upgrade yr fusebox, that's what the extra cost is.
Beauty about the Zappi is it is as safe as available regarding getting a shock from a live car, and as the current MG5 is not intelligent, you can control charging from your phone.
Also will take solar or wind power, so long as there is > 1.4A ( so likely " on average" you may need to input 3A.
Cheers
I’m having one fitted on Friday for £1125. Hopefully having my solar panels fitted tomorrow after they let me down twice last week then I’ll be all set. Normally if a company let me down twice like that I’d be getting someone else in, but they’ve already installed the inverter and done the electrics so I’m stuck with them.

All best, had someone ring, to quote, were not given confirmation, got a call for a visit on wrong day, advised to be confirmed the next week, did not get call or confirmation, I txt a cancel to them.
What a waste of time

I’m having one fitted on Friday for £1125. Hopefully having my solar panels fitted tomorrow after they let me down twice last week then I’ll be all set. Normally if a company let me down twice like that I’d be getting someone else in, but they’ve already installed the inverter and done the electrics so I’m stuck with them.
Can the people fitting your solar also fit the charge point? You'd potentially save the VAT.

Edit: They'd also have full responsibility to get the solar charging working and avoid blame passing between contractors.

Last edited:
Can the people fitting your solar also fit the charge point? You'd potentially save the VAT.

Edit: They'd also have full responsibility to get the solar charging working and avoid blame passing between contractors.
If it was to happen, I will have agreed to install the panels and the eV charger installer is happy to connect.
However at present not affordable, and at age 66, we need to try and determine the £ for solar and the £/time when me may regain the cost.
The car was more than we were expecting, as we " decided" to buy with just the £1,500 grant, ( when looking all £ were out of date as the price for the car was £30,400 not the £27,800 we were expecting)with £2000 required for a new fuse box and Zappy.
If our electricity supplier is soon going to give us back £3/ 5hrs charging each nite we charge 12 midnight till 5am, MAYBE this will be the best " buck" back or saved.
Me thinks again at age 66 if we look at the MG5 as a saving at approx 25% of an ICE and 8,000 miles a year over the 7 year warrantable life of the car, and the no road tax and £85/ year service ( Richmond) besides the use for now free in congestion zones, we will be doing ok for now.
Without too much future knowledge as to how and when government will " get" get us eV'ers back £ wise.
Oh and we think our MG5 is a fine car indeed suits us as now a single car couple as opposed to a car each couple.
AND I have just got me bus pass £ savings all round

I didn’t think of that and have already agreed to the other company installing on Friday. Balls it, I’ll have to check.

My son with a Leaf has 8KW of PV plus a battery (8KWhr soon to be 16) and a Zappi.
He ended up going to three phase supply with three phase PV inverter and the battery connected on the dc side. All of which means he is good to 25KW EV charging. The hardware is not a major problem the software is quite interesting to ensure that as little as possible is taken from the grid. His electricity bill for first 6 months of this year has been £50 and he has not had to pay to charge the car through using a combination of work charger, home PV and supermarkets! When I visit I take the opportunity for free electricity.
I have PV and would have installed a battery but for the fact that I am moving house shortly.

Hi all, I believe this is so but I contacted my local DNO and they told me they would need to come and survey my supply, but I needed to get which ever installer to submit the correct forms they to do that, give me the numbers of these forms but I can’t remember them of the top of me head.

But it can be more than 6kw in certain areas they said, problem at the present is getting people to do the job, every ones very very busy at this time, because of the VAT being cut many are telling me, but it’s got to happen sooner rather than later I hope, as i have also notice that prices are also on the increase with anything in this sector.
Les
up to 4kw - just connect
4 to 6kw fill in DNO application form c£50-100
over 6kw requires surveys etc and costs a lot more.

OK then, what's his return period on those costs?

But I'd still be interested in how many 000s it cost. Must be the thick end of £20k I'd imagine, I guess the electricity price hikes will have helped the return period though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom