MG5 Roof rails decorative only

Miles did a holiday trip in a MG5 with stuff loaded onto the roof in a box BEFORE - MG then changed their minds and said there where decorative only !.
He did that without any consideration for the weight he was putting in as at that time they were rated to 50kg. No one knows where MG UK got that rating from. We just someone with a MG5 SR to weigh their loaded up roof rails in kg.

The load rating is almost certainly a SWL (safe working load). In the case of lifting equipment that’s 1/6th of the Breaking Strain.
A good deal of built in safety, in the case vehicles I don’t have the knowledge but I would imagine the vehicle safety comes into it too. Too much top weight becomes unstable. Heavy breaking and crash testing, hight inertia load etc. Potentially pretty dangerous carrying anything much up too anyway. Stay Safe out there!!!

Today, I have spoken with head office at MG UK who can confirm the following :-
The MG5 SW EV excite has roof bars which are for decorative purposes only.
The MG5 SW EV exclusive has roof bars can be used up to a maximum capacity of 75KG which includes the weight of the carriers themselves. (As listed on page 68 of the manual.)
I hope this clears up any
I'm still convinced there's no physical difference at all between the SR and LR roof bars, other than a potential homologation issue with the SR. I'd be very interested if anyone knows any more on the subject.

I go camping with a large roof box on my SR and it's probably around 50 to 60kg when full. I know I shouldn't, and it would affect my insurance in a potential accident, but must admit it feels absolutely rock solid when mounted correctly.
Hi I was very surprised no correction SHOCKED, at what I saw written here today and I was please to see that Miles Roberts had pick up and responded to what you Clive Spurr, who I think is new to the forum had written, i would like to suggest Clive you go back in the thread to read and see what has been posted in it over the last year or so.
I don’t know who it was you spoke to at MG or what question you asked, but if when you request information in the future could you also request a name of the person giving you the answers to your question And ask them to put it in an e-mail or a letter if it could be a safety issue then it would be easier to address any confusion

For the 2nd part of this post I will address what Neil Fellows has written is his post, back in July #522 he appears to be doing everything to the book and showing awareness of the roof load limits of 35KG.

But then yesterday a total change in his attitude now saying he’s probably going to put 50-60KG on the roof off a 5 SR and also admitting that he knows he shouldn’t be doing that, and being aware is insurance could be voided buy doing so.#536
Neil why the change of attitude and responsibility your not new here and you know what as gone on in the last year in this thread so I can’t understand you, you might well get away with it but if something did fail and come adrift because you had over loaded it god only knows the consequences, it could cause injuries to other road users,damage to other vehicles with possible fatalities.
I can hear the judge now pasting sentence as he says lock him up and throw away the keys.
Come on Neil get your brain in gear and do the right thing and if you need a box fair enough put all your lightweight stuff in it as others have said they do, but stay inside the 35kg total weight and if you can’t do that Neil might I suggest an upgrade to the 5LR or the ZS Exclusive models of course as they are rated up to 75KG so 60kg is easy, I’m sure MilesperkWh might be able to help you with that as Barnsley not that far from Burnley.

And to JustinH I see you have agreed with what Neil Fellows had written #539,
so the above also applies to you if you are considering over loading the roof please don’t no insurance company will give a damm about why MG said 35kg but they did.
Also JustinH and LovemyMG, Miles Roberts was probably one off the very first to have the MG5 SR has a Demo vehicle, and I don’t know if he had read the handbook before he used the car, but the literature/ brochures at that time showed pictures of the car carrying a bike on its roof and on the specifications pages ( picture below ) it was rated for 50kg on the roof but then on page 62 as I found out after I had place my order for the car, in the owners hand book they where said to be decorative only and must not be loaded so that’s where the 50kg came from and where I challenged them about the safety issue involved.
Then after a lot of writing and phoning they came up with 35kg not brilliant I know but from Zero to 35 and then on the upgrade to 5LR 75kg, I think someone somewhere in MG Motors must have address the issue.
But for now it’s MG5 SR 35kg
MG5 LR 75kg
Les

35416381-078A-4F1D-A5CA-4FBABDDD5B83.jpeg
9BC592BB-D7D9-4D2A-82AC-B1920A7FD58E.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi I was very surprised no correction SHOCKED, at what I saw written here today and I was please to see that Miles Roberts had pick up and responded to what you Clive Spurr, who I think is new to the forum had written, i would like to suggest Clive you go back in the thread to read and see what has been posted in it over the last year or so.
I don’t know who it was you spoke to at MG or what question you asked, but if when you request information in the future could you also request a name of the person giving you the answers to your question And ask them to put it in an e-mail or a letter if it could be a safety issue then it would be easier to address any confusion

For the 2nd part of this post I will address what Neil Fellows has written is his post, back in July #522 he appears to be doing everything to the book and showing awareness of the roof load limits of 35KG.

But then yesterday a total change in his attitude now saying he’s probably going to put 50-60KG on the roof off a 5 SR and also admitting that he knows he shouldn’t be doing that, and being aware is insurance could be voided buy doing so.#536
Neil why the change of attitude and responsibility your not new here and you know what as gone on in the last year in this thread so I can’t understand you, you might well get away with it but if something did fail and come adrift because you had over loaded it god only knows the consequences, it could cause injuries to other road users,damage to other vehicles with possible fatalities.
I can hear the judge now pasting sentence as he says lock him up and throw away the keys.
Come on Neil get your brain in gear and do the right thing and if you need a box fair enough put all your lightweight stuff in it as others have said they do, but stay inside the 35kg total weight and if you can’t do that Neil might I suggest an upgrade to the 5LR or the ZS Exclusive models of course as they are rated up to 75KG so 60kg is easy, I’m sure MilesperkWh might be able to help you with that as Barnsley not that far from Burnley.

so the above also applies to you if you are considering over loading the roof please don’t no insurance company will give a damm about why MG said 35kg but they did.
Also JustinH and LovemyMG, Miles Roberts was probably one off the very first to have the MG5 SR has a Demo vehicle, and I don’t know if he had read the handbook before he used the car, but the literature/ brochures at that time showed pictures of the car carrying a bike on its roof and on the specifications pages ( picture below ) it was rated for 50kg on the roof but then on page 62 as I found out after I had place my order for the car, in the owners hand book they where said to be decorative only and must not be loaded so that’s where the 50kg came from and where I challenged them about the safety issue involved.
Then after a lot of writing and phoning they came up with 35kg not brilliant I know but from Zero to 35 and then on the upgrade to 5LR 75kg, I think someone somewhere in MG Motors must have address the issue.
MG5 LR 75kg
Les

View attachment 6786
Everything you say about insurance is of course correct, but how many people who are loading up their roof boxes are really weighing the items before they put them in? Luckily I won't need to carry more than the 35kg anyway or I would never have bought an MG5. I bought my SR after the new rating of the roof bars was announced (the car was considered a white elephant beforehand) only for a 75kg long range to be announced straight after. I'm bound to be p*ssed off about this. As for the original 50kg rating this was advertised by MG UK only, not by China. So where did they get the information from? I still don't believe that MG UK were completely clueless in determining this original rating.

MG5 LR 75kg
Les

View attachment 6786View attachment 6787
I couldn't find a GIF for standing outside the Headmaster's office, I'm afraid.

I’m looking for roof bars and bike carriers. Problem is our ebikes are 22.5kgs each without the batteries. The MG5 Exclusive has, I understand, been cleared for 75kgs but not a lot of good if I can’t get the bikes up there!

What make are the roof bars?
They were called hardcastle the ones I bought off Amazon but now unavailable however theres lots of alternatives I think. Have a look at a few post after the one you replied to and the link to the ones I nought are there. Or maybe something like this would also do.

UKB4C Locking Universal Roof Bars Pair to Fit Cars with Raised Running Rails Aluminium 1.20m in length (120cm) https://amzn.eu/d/8sDXwYR

They were called hardcastle the ones I bought off Amazon but now unavailable however theres lots of alternatives I think. Have a look at a few post after the one you replied to and the link to the ones I nought are there. Or maybe something like this would also do.

UKB4C Locking Universal Roof Bars Pair to Fit Cars with Raised Running Rails Aluminium 1.20m in length (120cm) https://amzn.eu/d/8sDXwYR
Thanks for the info… I looked at the link but it says unsuitable for MG5…?

I’m looking for roof bars and bike carriers. Problem is our ebikes are 22.5kgs each without the batteries. The MG5 Exclusive has, I understand, been cleared for 75kgs but not a lot of good if I can’t get the bikes up there!
Sorry but for gods stake which MG5 vehicle are you driving SR or LR you don’t say, but please be aware the SR5 as a max roof load of 35kg including rails bike carriers or anything else you put on the car,LR5 as a total load is 75kg.
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom