MG5 Spare wheel kit

You put the spare on?

Yes

Only it'ss the wrong way round and the wheelnuts aren't tight

Attachments

• 39680286-9288499-image-a-40_1614112576451.jpg
    39680286-9288499-image-a-40_1614112576451.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 238
I bought a ZS EV spare wheel kit then I changed to an MG 5 my understanding is the space saver wheel is the same not sure about the jack any thoughts?
Kind regards
Terry Bailey

I bought a ZS EV spare wheel kit then I changed to an MG 5 my understanding is the space saver wheel is the same not sure about the jack any thoughts?
Kind regards
Terry Bailey
I had them side by side and they look very similar. The major difference between the two is the polystyrene insert.

Kind regards
Terry Bailey

The ZSEV spare wheel will fit on the MG5, but it might not fit in the wheel well under the MG5's boot floor (the foam bit seems to be deeper).

Of course you could just take the wheel out of the foam carrier and put it straight into the wheel well.

I've successfully jacked up my MG5 without issues using a jack with a slotted jack head (pictures upthread somewhere - mine's the black MG5 up on a red jack).

So if the ZSEV wheel kit comes with a slotted jack head, then I'm sure it will lift your MG5 just fine.

Hi, does anyone know if this will fit the MG5 pleas. Someone locally is selling a space saver, it’s off a VW Scirocco (not sure what year) I have put a photo of the actual wheel belo.
thanks,
Steve

Volkswagen - Scirocco III R (2010 - )​

1616927056299.png

PCD: 5x112
Center bore: 57.1
Offset: 42
Mounting: Bolt - 14 x 1,50
Wheel torque steel: 120 Nm / 89 ft-lb
Wheel torque alloy: 120 Nm / 89 ft-lb
Possible tire sizes: 205/55R16
205/50R17
225/40R18
225/35R19
225/30R20

Hi, does anyone know if this will fit the MG5 pleas. Someone locally is selling a space saver, it’s off a VW Scirocco (not sure what year) I have put a photo of the actual wheel belo.
thanks,
Steve

Volkswagen - Scirocco III R (2010 - )​

View attachment 2509

I’m almost certain it’s the same as the Golf wheel I bought and successfully fitted (pictures on p1 of this thread).

The description says offset 42 but I suspect that’s been copy/pasted from a different wheel as I checked out a few other Scirocco spare wheels on eBay and where the inside is photographed, the stamp says 25.5. You can also see that that wheel has a T125 tire when the description says it will take a T205.

If the price is good I say buy it.

You might want to invest in a set of radius-head bolts to keep with it - again this is discussed somewhere upthread. You’d probably be fine with the original tapered wheel bolts as a “get you home” measure but it’s still probably a good idea.

Got a Golf mkV spacesaver spare, complete with the foam insert, jack, wrench, etc, on its way to me for £50, delivered. I think the insert might need surgery but we'll see.the jack looks the same as the one on my old Passat, which was actually pretty good.

Got a Golf mkV spacesaver spare, complete with the foam insert, jack, wrench, etc, on its way to me for £50, delivered. I think the insert might need surgery but we'll see.the jack looks the same as the one on my old Passat, which was actually pretty good.
Update: the spare (unused) arrived, complete with VW foam insert, jack, towing eye AND the VW retaining bolt.

The foam insert needed a little surgery to accommodate the MG towing eye. The wheel nut cover slotted neatly into an unused slot. The spanner fitted another unused slot with a little trimming.

The VW retainer is a two part assembly, consisting of a plastic nut and a plastic threaded boss with a snap in top. The boss has a T shaped lug and a foam ring, which is supposed to fit into a slot on a raised part of the VW boot floor and lock in place.

I just cut the T off the bottom of the lug and removed the snap in top. I found an M8 bolt the right length and a penny washer. The washer went in the open top, giving the bolt somewhere to sit and the whole thing got tightened down onto the MG boot floor.

There's room around the wheel for a couple of plastic chocks and a hiviz vest.

Has anyone got pictures of the difference between the Golf mk5 bolts and the MG5

Last edited:
Has anyone who bought a space saver wheel noticed if it affects the range much? I guess this is one of the reasons they don't include them with cars any more.
Thanks.

Has anyone who bought a space saver wheel noticed if it affects the range much? I guess this is one of the reasons they don't include them with cars any more.
Thanks.
The idea of a space saver wheel is to take up less space when stored and to get you to a tyre repair place when in use they and should not be on the road for longer than that and with no more than 50mph no the reason they don’t come as standard is to keep cost as low as possible
Les

The idea of a space saver wheel is to take up less space when stored and to get you to a tyre repair place when in use they and should not be on the road for longer than that and with no more than 50mph no the reason they don’t come as standard is to keep cost as low as possible
Les
I presume he meant carrying the extra mass rather than suggesting driving around with it on.

Les
Hi Les, sorry I meant the extra weight being carried around all the time.

I've got the official spare wheel kit, and I don't think it's made the slightest difference to the range in my MG5. I won't have a car without a spare, and that was one of the reasons for buying the MG5! Very few EV's have the option of a spare!

Apologies to deej19 and to the funkysoat you where correct it’s I who misunderstood to be honest I got the one from the dealer it’s not that heavy really and as pjmuk as said great to be able to have one
Les

Thanks Les and pjmuk, recent cars we have owned did not have the option so pleased that the MG5 does. From your experience I would definitely get a space saver, not keen on the compressor and gunk solution.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom