MG5 Spare wheel kit

Haven't really noticed any change to be honest, I think lights heater and wipers have more of an impact on range

Virtually no effect on the range measurable in my experience. But the effect on the nerves of not having a spare and ripping a tyre is immeasurable (see the picture of my tyre torn by a rock in the middle of nowhere)
spare wheel every time for me please.

Hello - I’ve replaced my ZS with a 5LR for the extra range. I bought a spare wheel kit for it on the day we collected the new car. So I now have an unused complete genuine space saver spare wheel kit for the ZS model. It’s for sale if anyone is interested.
Doesn't the ZS spacesaver fit the 5 as well ?

Oh no - I was under the impression it was a different sized wheel - I haven’t actually checked but I shall do and report back later. At least both kits fit beautifully into their respective car’s wheel well 🤷‍♂ I’ve still got the pristine complete kit for sale for a ZS if anyone wants the enhanced reassurance over the can of gunk and tyre pump as supplied ?

Some great help posted here. A little confused by the second set of numbers on the tyre size 125 60/r16. I can see a few wheel's with the correct PCD of 5 x 112 but they tend to be 125 70/r16 or larger. Does this make any difference?

Some great help posted here. A little confused by the second set of numbers on the tyre size 125 60/r16. I can see a few wheel's with the correct PCD of 5 x 112 but they tend to be 125 70/r16 or larger. Does this make any difference?
Yes it does. The 60 or 70 refers to the sidewall and is a percentage of the width. So a 125/60 will be 75 tall and a 125/70 would be 87.5 tall.

I think you might have your sizes mixed up there, just to clarify, the standard wheel size is 205/60 R16 but the spare wheel size is actually 125/90 R16.
I've just been out to check and yes it's past 11pm here!

Andy

Sorry if I'm being a bit daft, but can see that Jomarkh has posted a photo of his space saver wheel as 125 /70/R16.
Hi Shwd mae - here’s a picture I’ve just taken of the ZS kit I have for sale

Attachments

• 532D4912-EE3F-4EB0-933F-19FFF1C22FBD.jpeg
    532D4912-EE3F-4EB0-933F-19FFF1C22FBD.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 171
He did but that’s the spare wheel for a VW. They just happen to have the same bolt circle as the MG5, though different nut seats (zig that makes sense).
I think he posted somewhere that’s it’s not quite the right size but will do in an emergency.
I’m attaching a picture from my boot now that it’s light outside and you can clearly see the size is 90.

One of the things that makes the car more comfortable (and unpopular with the sporty types) is the full sized wheels have deeper tyres than typically fitted.
My previous Mondeo also has 16” wheel and we’re 205mm width but height was 55%
So 205/55 r16. This is/was a very common size for generic cars etc.
our tyres at 205/60 r16 are less common but means we also need a deeper spare wheel.

Hope that clears things up.

Andy

Attachments

• 15B2B6BC-3334-492A-8A6D-5A2E4DB79FD4.jpeg
    15B2B6BC-3334-492A-8A6D-5A2E4DB79FD4.jpeg
    712.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 57186105-77AD-4C38-90AF-1CC94CDDDFB1.jpeg
    57186105-77AD-4C38-90AF-1CC94CDDDFB1.jpeg
    529.4 KB · Views: 183
Hi, is this on eBay with you?
No I’ve only advertised it here in the classified ads. I bought it for my ZS but then fairly soon afterwards changed it for a long range 5. I understood the wheels were different so I bought a factory spare kit for that. It seems the only difference is the foam carrier that fits the underfloor wheel well. So the complete unused ZS kit is surplus to requirements.

I am after a space saver for the Long Range 5, so apart from the foam carrier, will it fit?
Hello there ethansdad, yes the wheels and tyres look identical and have the same markings on them and the jacks, compressors and things are the same. I wish I’d researched it a bit better before jumping in and buying the new one 🤦‍♂️

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom