• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 Spare wheel kit

Hi, finally got some bolts to fit the VW space saver complete wheel kit.
Jack works a treat.
Had a quick go at fitting it and the bolts work fine.
The spare does have a smaller diameter but it will get me to a tyre shop.

Attachments​

Attachments

• IMG_20210519_141528.jpg
    IMG_20210519_141528.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20210519_141540.jpg
    IMG_20210519_141540.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_20210519_141600.jpg
    IMG_20210519_141600.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 264
Thanks Jonathan, for providing such a detailed explanation and clear photos. This will surely benefit a number of members. I'd be interested to learn where to purchase the correct jack for the job

I'd be interested to learn where to purchase the correct jack for the job
Jonathan reckoned the jack worked fine. Diligent searching on EBay will often throw up a Golf (or Passat) spare complete with insert and tools. I got mine there for fifty quid, delivered.
Check out my post #52, back one page in this thread

Jonathan reckoned the jack worked fine. Diligent searching on EBay will often throw up a Golf (or Passat) spare complete with insert and tools. I got mine there for fifty quid, delivered.
Check out my post #52, back one page in this thread
Was your tyre 125 60/r16?
I got mine from eBay for £35 I beat him down from £45...

Just got my Mg 5 today, thanks to this thread I’ve just fitted the space saver wheel kit that I purchased last week for £60.
It was advertised on Facebook market out of an Audi, thought it was worth a punt for that.
There is even enough room to keep the compressor and can of gunk in the wheel well
Had to butcher the poly holder a bit to get the tow eyelet in.

Attachments

• 241CCDD0-5B62-44F5-AE13-9055EDB71D6B.jpeg
    241CCDD0-5B62-44F5-AE13-9055EDB71D6B.jpeg
    539.4 KB · Views: 230
Nearly all sites selling spare "kits" on quote PCD as 5x100, but it's definitely 5x112 (on UK MG5's anyway). Some folks are using an audi/ mark v golf spacesaver, but I've found one that's very close to the diameter of the official spare. I've just test fitted a Merc Class A/B spacesaver ( at rear ) with T125/90/R16 PCD:5x112 CB:68. ET32 The diameter is 24.84inches. The diameter of the full size MG5 original (205/60/R16) is 25.67inches. So only .83inches difference. Just got back from a mile test drive at 50mph. No vibration, no errors. Plenty clearance for hub & calipers. Nothing rubbing. Got the merc spacesaver for £60 including a really nice merc jack and wheel wrench. ( a bit nicer than £250 from dealer ). All fits in the boot perfectly along with the gunkpump. Have set aside the original expanded foam insert. I may buy a spigot ring for extra security ( 68.1->56.1). Hopefully I'll never have to use the spacesaver, but will have peace of mind knowing it's there. Could have bought the dealer version with a nice foam insert for £250. But that's no fun. And I've saved £190.

Nearly all sites selling spare "kits" on quote PCD as 5x100, but it's definitely 5x112 (on UK MG5's anyway). Some folks are using an audi/ mark v golf spacesaver, but I've found one that's very close to the diameter of the official spare. I've just test fitted a Merc Class A/B spacesaver ( at rear ) with T125/90/R16 PCD:5x112 CB:68. ET32 The diameter is 24.84inches. The diameter of the full size MG5 original (205/60/R16) is 25.67inches. So only .83inches difference. Just got back from a mile test drive at 50mph. No vibration, no errors. Plenty clearance for hub & calipers. Nothing rubbing. Got the merc spacesaver for £60 including a really nice merc jack and wheel wrench. ( a bit nicer than £250 from dealer ). All fits in the boot perfectly along with the gunkpump. Have set aside the original expanded foam insert. I may buy a spigot ring for extra security ( 68.1->56.1). Hopefully I'll never have to use the spacesaver, but will have peace of mind knowing it's there. Could have bought the dealer version with a nice foam insert for £250. But that's no fun. And I've saved £190.
Yep tried mine on the front and the back with no problems at all
If anything it needs a set of vag wheel bolts as they have a radius rather than a chamfered hole, but as far as I’m concerned, the space saver wheel is only to get you out of trouble.
378135C0-12B9-4DCC-A1FB-DEC17C50EB09.jpeg
F7000D82-D319-4871-98B1-68DBC9239291.jpegA0D37970-404F-4183-87B2-E5CB7F080EFA.jpeg

Spacesaver for Mercedes Class A/B fits fine on MG5. It's T125/90R16 PCD 112x5 bt with ET of 32 instead of 25.5. Still plenty of clearance. And same diameter as official spare. CB is 68 rather than 56 but tapered bolts that come with the MG fit this just fine. Various with/without jack on EBAY from £35 to £70 squids. (You could buy a spigot insert for more security)

Well done. You've put my mind at rest. Looks like MG were correct. Its the same spare wheel as the MG ZS EV, MG GS and MG HS.

In my first post I put a link to Aliexpress for the wheel retention bolt, for anyone who needs it.
Hi just to confirm the 2 links you put at the start of this thread are what I need for an mg 5 ev?

Hi just to confirm the 2 links you put at the start of this thread are what I need for an mg 5 ev?
The wheel kit mentioned is for the GS/HS/ZS.EV. The wheel is the same but the toolkit and foam insert are different, hence the AliExpress retaining bolt

If you dont like the price of an OEM MG kit, a lot of folk are opting for a VWGolf Mk5 kit from EBay et al, normally around fifty quid. I think the AliExpress bolt might fit.

Hi John, ...I didn't include links..??.. but someone else did post links at the start of the thread for HS/ZS kits on ebay but I can't comment on those. Regardless of assumed compatibility the thing to watch out for is that most sites selling spare "kits" for the Mg5 quote PCD as 5x100 : this is wrong : it's definitely 5x112 (on UK MG5's anyway). Some folks are using an audi/mark v golf spacesaver, but I've found one that's very close to the diameter of the official spare. I got a Merc Class A/B spacesaver ( at rear ) with T125/90/R16 PCD:5x112 CB:68. ET32,. The diameter is 24.84inches. The diameter of the full size MG5 original (205/60/R16) is 25.67inches. So only .83inches difference. For £60 including jack. Hope you get something sorted out :)

Just wanted to say thanks for the thread. I haven't got my car yet, but now have a spare (golf with Jack kit etc) sitting in the garage as my local scrap dealer had one on sale at a price I couldn't refuse! Now all I need is the car to arrive 🤣🤣

Thanks to all the contributors on here, it's a really informative read. I'm about to collect a new MG5 Long Range. Do you think similar space savers to those discussed here will fit? (I realise that the foam insert seems to need altering in each case). I've attached a photo of one currently on eBay.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211002_200151.jpg
    Screenshot_20211002_200151.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 188
Hi, don't forget you will need some different bolts to go with the VW spare wheel

Thanks to all the contributors on here, it's a really informative read. I'm about to collect a new MG5 Long Range. Do you think similar space savers to those discussed here will fit? (I realise that the foam insert seems to need altering in each case). I've attached a photo of one currently on eBay.
Thanks in advance
I have a mercedes B spacesaver same size as MG official. Fits standard and LR versions (had both!). The boot cover in the LR is far more robust. I didnt bother with foam insert. Got my spacesaver for 50 quid fleabay.

Hello - I’ve replaced my ZS with a 5LR for the extra range. I bought a spare wheel kit for it on the day we collected the new car. So I now have an unused complete genuine space saver spare wheel kit for the ZS model. It’s for sale if anyone is interested.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom