• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 Spare wheel kit

I was thinking of raising the floor anyway as shown in another thread. This would get rid of the lip to make it easier for my dog, a retriever, to jump in. Not sure how the floor raising works. Should have looked at dealers. Has anyone else fitted full sized spare. Have they used a steel or alloy wheel. Stella would need different bolts, but not a problem. Thanks for information, Ken

I was thinking of raising the floor anyway as shown in another thread. This would get rid of the lip to make it easier for my dog, a retriever, to jump in. Not sure how the floor raising works. Should have looked at dealers. Has anyone else fitted full sized spare. Have they used a steel or alloy wheel. Stella would need different bolts, but not a problem. Thanks for information, Ken
Your LR should have a two level boot floor but I am not sure it it goes level with the boot lip.

Your LR should have a two level boot floor but I am not sure it it goes level with the boot lip.
It doesn't come up flat. Still a couple of inches difference.

Edit: hate when people are vague, so I just went and measured. In the lowest position, it's an 8" drop. The lip the floor sits on in the higher position is 3" higher, so there is still a 5" drop.

As an estate, there's no real reason they couldn't have made the boot 5" longer and raised the floor 3" and made it completely flush. However I believe the Roewe i5 was originally designed as a Saloon so the deep recess was to give more space.

Last edited:
Hi
A full size spare wheel fits in the Mg5 LR with the boot floor in its highest position no problem
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
E7E7C396-F3DB-48BA-B6C9-8BECA7297526.jpeg
A12263DE-7089-4886-BF12-1711E42651CB.jpeg
A7FD937C-4FAA-4AE1-BB8E-2D5328EB6298.jpeg

Thanks for all the info. This forums magic. Ian, what wheel is that . Is it matching OEM or aftermarket. Not that it matters as a spare I suppose.

Thanks for your measurements LGuk. Maybe I could raise the floor say another 4 inches or so with either some structural foam or with a ply box structure to leave a void underneath for storage. Not desperate at present as car not likely to be here till end of year but can sort out a wheel and tyre before then. Would hate to travel without a spare. The first thing I do when I get a car is remove every wheel and refit , greased and tightened to correct torque.

Thanks for all the info. This forums magic. Ian, what wheel is that . Is it matching OEM or aftermarket. Not that it matters as a spare I suppose.
Yes it’s an oem wheel
I have aftermarket alloys on my car
I sold 3 and kept 1 for a spare
E5F36B5C-7614-426E-8B65-BFF8415287AB.jpeg

Ian, I see you have 205/50/16 tyre on spare instead of 205/60/16 . Was that to make overall diameter less for fitting in recess or just what you had anyway. Ken

Anyone bought this kit on eBay?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Anyone bought this kit on eBay?
I looked at that last night , and decided against it as no foam to stop Jack an brace from moving
I brought the genuine one
Genuine MG5 Spare Wheel Kit OE 10959444 | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi all
Just a quick thing to note
Ask or find out how high the jack goes as I have a standard scissor jack that doesn’t lift the mg5 high enough so I found out that the 5 ton Jack I had in the shed does the job
REMEMBER THE MG5 HAS A FAIRLY HIGH GROUND CLEARANCE
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I bought a space saver wheel off eBay that was advertised as being for the MG5. I checked with him that it was suitable for the facelift trophy with 17” wheels and he confirmed that it was. The wheel looked good - 31/2Jx16 ET25,5 H2 seems to be the right fit despite it actually being a VW wheel - however it came with a 125/70R16 tyre.

I did some quick calculations and this is clearly the wrong size — the diameter is over 10% smaller than my normal wheels. I’d maybe use it to go slowly for a couple of miles to a tyre shop in extremis, but not if I was out in the Scottish Highlands 100 miles away from help! Here’s a comparison:

E03C80B3-43A8-4708-8175-F3BBF7D9EBED.jpeg

Obviously thinner is just fine and the rim size difference is irrelevant but the diameter just isn’t acceptable to me.

I got in touch with the seller and explained, and they were perfectly happy to either take it for a refund or to put on a new tyre. I popped back yesterday and they swapped it out for a 125/90R16, which is a much better match:

F5326F96-BC17-4311-81F3-66FE02E8FAAC.jpeg

2.4% smaller is much more reasonable imho, and I believe it matches the OEM space saver spare — can anyone please confirm? I’ve bought a set of rounded bolts to go with the wheel (in a bag marked only for the spare wheel) and I’m now a lot more comfortable knowing that I have a decent spare to keep me going if necessary.

The seller was rosparewheels on eBay, based in Enfield, would definitely buy from them again.

-simon

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom