MG5 Spare wheel kit

Am I following this correctly and just to confirm, the ZS spare wheel kit will definitely fit the 5 ?

Not quite.

It appears that the wheel from the ZS EV spare wheel kit will fit on an MG5.

However the kit itself (wheel, jack, spanner and polystyrene insert to hold it all) won't necessarily fit in the space provided within the car. They seem to have two separate part numbers for this reason.

ZS EV kit is part number 10340567.

MG5 kit is part number 10959444.

Both kits cost £249, and that's really the thing.

I absolutely think everyone should buy the official one for their specific car, direct from MG.

I just don't personally want to spend that much, so I went looking for alternatives that will do a safe job for less outlay.

The MG5 EV spare wheel tyre profile is T125/90R16 though.

This is good to know. I wouldn't think the different aspect ratio would make a huge difference on a temporary "get you to the garage" spare.

I would be interested what the offset value (ET) is on the official MG spare.

Last edited:
Are you using the MG wheel nuts on the VW rim ?.
I thought the chamfer angle on the bolts where different ?.
Here is a great video from @Mike that covers the upgrade of winter wheels ( VAG group rims ) on his ZS EV.
The subject of the wheel bolt angle can be seen at about 2mins 30 secs into the video.
O.B.T.W. - The whole video is really worth a watch !.

I bought the official spare kit, got a bit knocked off the price by the dealer. Utter peace of mind for me, the only time in nearly four years with my Leaf I had to call out the RAC was a couple of sidewall punctures. When I saw the 5 had a spare wheel well it was one of the selling points for me

Are you using the MG wheel nuts on the VW rim ?.
I thought the chamfer angle on the bolts where different ?.
Here is a great video from @Mike that covers the upgrade of winter wheels ( VAG group rims ) on his ZS EV.
The subject of the wheel bolt angle can be seen at about 2mins 30 secs into the video.
O.B.T.W. - The whole video is really worth a watch !.

Fair point, thanks. Looks like the VW rim expects radius bolts, as he said, whereas the MG comes with tapered bolts.

I've just ordered a set of VW bolts and will chuck them in with the spare wheel when they arrive. They aren't dear things.

If I had to use the wheel tomorrow, I would trust the tapered bolts to keep the wheel on for as long as it would take me to get to a garage.

If I were putting on an entire set of wheels that I was planning to use for months, I'd certainly want to be absolutely sure that they were exactly suitable and perfectly mounted. In that case you'd be better either buying official MG wheels to be beyond doubt, or otherwise you'd need to know exactly what you're doing in detail (as the video author above appears to do).

If I had to use the wheel tomorrow, I would trust the tapered bolts to keep the wheel on for as long as it would take me to get to a garage.
I totally agree, it would be fine for a quick / short "Get You Home" trip no problem.
Just keep the VW bolts in a plastic box in the boot and put a WARNING label on inside that reads :-
"ONLY use these bolts when using THIS spare wheel".
What about painting the top of the bolt heads ( not the flats ) with some RED ident paint ???.
Could be handy if somebody else ( other than you ) has to change the wheel at some point.
I like the facility of have a spare wheel of any type.
My preference is a full sized wheel and tyre, but I will take a space saver as a decent second best option.
A 1,000 times better than a tin of foam and an inflation pump.
There is not many modern cars that provide the option to carry a spare any more.
So, why would you NOT carry one ?.
Beat's me ! - I have to say !.

I quite agree. My i3 had no way to carry a spare wheel, so the one time I got a puncture, it meant calling out a recovery truck to take me to a tyre fitter (and not just any fitter - it took some time on the phone to even find one that HAD i3 tyres!)

The puncture happened at lunchtime on a work day and I lost the rest of the day - and had to use half a day's leave - getting it sorted out.

More to the point, if you read the small print of your MG Assistance, it says you can be charged if the AA come out to you and you're not carrying a suitable spare wheel. I assume this means if they had to tow you when they could have just helped you fit your spare.

Here it is:

MG Assistance - what is not covered:
• any additional charges resulting from failure to carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel(s) or tyre(s) in the Eligible Vehicle

Last edited:
More to the point, if you read the small print of your MG Assistance, it says you can be charged if the AA come out to you and you're not carrying a suitable spare wheel.
Yeah - Your correct.
Some recovery firms will not even attend a puncture unless you have a spare !.
Even if some one else was driving the car and it had a puncture, a kind person will sometimes offer a helping hand IF you have a jack and spare.
A spare gives you the ability to be one your way in about 20 - 30 mins.
You could be waiting hours for the recovery services.
Similar situation when encountering a flat 12 volt battery.
We all know how EV's can be caught out regarding this issue.
Carry a small power bank !.
For a small outlay, you could save being stranded waiting for hours and hours for what is the same thing from the recovery company.
Cover your bases folks !.

Not quite.

It appears that the wheel from the ZS EV spare wheel kit will fit on an MG5.

However the kit itself (wheel, jack, spanner and polystyrene insert to hold it all) won't necessarily fit in the space provided within the car. They seem to have two separate part numbers for this reason.

ZS EV kit is part number 10340567.

MG5 kit is part number 10959444.

Both kits cost £249, and that's really the thing.

I absolutely think everyone should buy the official one for their specific car, direct from MG.

I just don't personally want to spend that much, so I went looking for alternatives that will do a safe job for less outlay.

This is good to know. I wouldn't think the different aspect ratio would make a huge difference on a temporary "get you to the garage" spare.

I would be interested what the offset value (ET) is on the official MG spare.
I agree with not spending that much, especially when I already have the ZS kit and it's something I may never use with my low annual mileage now I'm retired. I can't remember the last time I used a spare, but always have had one for peace of mind.
I was thinking for the odd day trip to the seaside, or if we go on holiday for a week or two, I would just temporarily chuck the ZS spare kit in the boot of the 5 and leave the gunk repair thing in there as well. It seems a waste to buy two wheel kits for the sake of a bit of foam.

Is that much (if any) different to the 5 spare ?

I think he brought it up because the VW wheel I've bought is of a smaller rolling diameter than the genuine MG article, even though the fitments are the same size. Which wouldn't do as a permanent fixture but is OK as a temporary spare.

The price of the OEM spare wheel kit from MG has increased massively over the last twelve months.
When I purchased the OEM version early in 2020 - I paid £140.00 for the kit.
Now the same kit is £249.00 !.
That is massive, how do they justify that level of increase, supply and demand I guess ?.
You can still purchase an alternative more cost effected option ( £139.00 ) from eBay for anybody who may just want a basic set up of a wheel and brace for example ?.

Attachments

• 2B12D7BA-54E9-438D-BEE1-C452D586DDD6.png
    2B12D7BA-54E9-438D-BEE1-C452D586DDD6.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 241
  • 22950001-343B-48A8-9AA3-1A92BA78137F.png
    22950001-343B-48A8-9AA3-1A92BA78137F.png
    986.8 KB · Views: 266
The price of the OEM spare wheel kit from MG has increased massively over the last twelve months.
When I purchased the OEM version early in 2020 - I paid £140.00 for the kit.
Now the same kit is £249.00 !.
That is massive, how do they justify that level of increase, supply and demand I guess ?.
You can still purchase an alternative more cost effected option ( £139.00 ) from eBay for anybody who may just want a basic set up of a wheel and brace for example ?.
Do you the eBay item number for that kit please

Do you the eBay item number for that kit please
Just remember, this kit only includes the wheel, jack & brace.
But if that is all you require for a MG5 then great !.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just remember, this kit only includes the wheel, jack & brace.
But if that is all you require for a MG5 then great !.

Sorry but the description of this of this on the eBay listing does not say it is for the MG5 ev

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom