• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 Tow bar again

When I took mine for a service just before Consumermas there was a new 5LR parked on the forecourt (the latest one with no grille) and I had a look under the back - they seem to have completely change the arrangement of metal struts under the boot so I doubt if a towbar made for the new towing approved 5 would fit my 1st gen 5SR :(

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-02 at 14.12.20.jpeg

a great workhorse!

Nice picture of a good looking car. Any chance of some showing the towbar and anything visible on the underside of the car at the back? 🙏

Bugeyed
seen your post for pictures don’t know where rogerco was looking maybe in side the boot perhaps bug from underneath it doesn’t appear any different to me to be honest not easy to take pictures with out a ramp but done what I could here I did a video of it but these forum won’t let me upload it so here are a few screen shots from said video
I have been trying for ages but won’t allow me says file is to large so will try several post for you this being the first.
Les
F58E6463-D73E-47E2-910D-229988D7AC9C.jpeg44ECD9FC-5C5B-4370-9B61-F63DA41BED47.png1F7AE10F-B5C5-44CC-AA6B-42BEAF18D2EB.jpeg

Thanks Alb thanks but that has been said on this forum a few times to different members but me I don’t have a YouTube account and wouldn’t have a clue how What to do with it as you my well know I not that up with tech but I while try if it might help others on the forum. But thanks for the comment.
Les

Bugeyed
seen your post for pictures don’t know where rogerco was looking maybe in side the boot perhaps bug from underneath it doesn’t appear any different to me to be honest not easy to take pictures with out a ramp but done what I could here I did a video of it but these forum won’t let me upload it so here are a few screen shots from said video
I have been trying for ages but won’t allow me says file is to large so will try several post for you this being the first.
Les
View attachment 14484View attachment 14485View attachment 14486
Thanks Les. Are those pictures of your original SR or a new one?. I was looking underneath particularly behind the plastic bumper on the new one and it seemed different to what I remembered under mine, but I didn't have them side by side, I didn't have a camera with me, and it was raining so I was reluctant to spend long lying on the wet gravel under it.

What I'd really like to see is where and how the towbar is attached on jpvdheijn's (or anyone else with a new one).

If the structure and holes are the same then towbar metalwork for the new one (without the ball removed so you couldn't tow) could be fitted to an older model as an "accessory" not a "modification" to fit a bike carrier - subject to checking with your insurance company if you are that way inclined (;)that's for you, Les !!!)

Hi rogerco I these pictures/video I tried to do are for the new uplifted 5 3/4 weeks old I think some where I have some video of the first model as well before I did an under sealing job on that one I will Send you a PM with details won’t up load here.
Les

Hi rogerco I these pictures/video I tried to do are for the new uplifted 5 3/4 weeks old I think some where I have some video of the first model as well before I did an under sealing job on that one I will Send you a PM with details won’t up load here.
Les

for facelift

I have done a few tow bars over the years with many modern ones requiring the removal of the impact bumper. However this is the 1st that I have seen that uses the bumper mounting and not requiring being fixed to the chassis underneath.

I have done a few tow bars over the years with many modern ones requiring the removal of the impact bumper. However this is the 1st that I have seen that uses the bumper mounting and not requiring being fixed to the chassis underneath.
27401382_2022-10-2912_59.40_1.jpg.16a9c642984ae7cceb83887975d25070.jpg

thear is a bar in the hole

IMG_20221009_122514.thumb.jpg.5fbb7b62af76ca720e1f532881f6eea0.jpg

fix to the chassis here
547460540_2022-10-2913_00.59_1.jpg.1982da105cad43166e1955fb4cd24631.jpg

Having a tow bar fitted to my MG5 next week.
It is the new version and only the MG dealer has the kit.
I asked around at halfords type places and no one makes one yet.
Towing capacity is 500kgs

Having a tow bar fitted to my MG5 next week.
It is the new version and only the MG dealer has the kit.
I asked around at halfords type places and no one makes one yet.
Towing capacity is 500kgs
Needing to get one fitted before the end of May, can you name the dealer that is fitting them?

I have the MG5 Trophy.

Can you link to where this can be purchased? I can’t find it on any websites.

When I took mine for a service just before Consumermas there was a new 5LR parked on the forecourt (the latest one with no grille) and I had a look under the back - they seem to have completely change the arrangement of metal struts under the boot so I doubt if a towbar made for the new towing approved 5 would fit my 1st gen 5SR :(
I’ve a towbar fitted to my pre facelift MG5, but only for a bike rack or rear storage box, not for towing. When asked MG were quite happy for it to be fitted and with no effect on the warranty. It was made and fitted by UK Towbars of March, Cambridgeshire…. Feel free to ask for more info if you want…

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom