Miles/kWh

I was so impressed with my standard MG5 that I decided to upgrade to a Long Range. The only problem was that the only one available at the right price (i.e. sub £25k) was in Portsmouth and I live in Carlisle 😆
Anyway, being entitled to free train travel I picked it up yesterday and I'm definitely impressed with the upgrades.
From fully charged I got to Lymm Services (230 miles) with 10 miles still showing, where my last one would never go more than 180 miles at motorway speeds, and a 25-minute charge costing £9 with Gridserve while I grabbed a coffee and a sandwich got it back up to 60% which easily got me the 120 miles home. I've never seen anything gobble up electricity like it - definitely charges a lot quicker than my previous MG5.
I would normally stop for this length of time on a 350 mile trip anyway, so it does kinda blow a hole it the theory that EV owners have to "stand around forever" waiting for their cars to charge!
Full journey figures posted below. Incidentally the trip was at around 10 degrees centigrade dropping as it got late, using lights, wipers and heater for the second leg.
I’ve yet to see another MG5 in carlisle. Mine is Piccadilly blue….

I’ve yet to see another MG5 in carlisle. Mine is Piccadilly blue….
On School Road Cumwhinton there is a 71-plate blue one sometimes! My 1st was white, this one is Westminster Silver 🙂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211230-112129_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20211230-112129_Messenger.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 142
My MG5 SR averages 3.1mike per KWH. This is over 3000 miles. I drive exactly the same as I drove my ICE previously. Mostly town roads at least half with 20 mph speed limit. I live on top of a hill so whilst I get the benefit of KERS going down I pay back coming back up. I do a few longer trips and drive around 70mph on motor ways. I use Eco mode and the 2 setting on KERS.

My MG5 SR averages 3.1mike per KWH. This is over 3000 miles. I drive exactly the same as I drove my ICE previously. Mostly town roads at least half with 20 mph speed limit. I live on top of a hill so whilst I get the benefit of KERS going down I pay back coming back up. I do a few longer trips and drive around 70mph on motor ways. I use Eco mode and the 2 setting on KERS.
Yes 3.1 is my usual. I drive in normal KERS 2 mostly. I generally floor it at traffic lights and then cruise at the speed limits.

I did a test today and averaged 4 over 11.2 miles on a mix of motorway and town roads. For a good part it was nearer 5 but I decided to be a bit heavier footed on the motorway on the way back just to be a bit less efficient. Used up 5% of the battery in the process which works out as about 220 miles for a full range. Temperature was about 11c but very windy especially on the way back.

That's a good result, Les. As you point out, the slower your average speed the better the result (although there are obviously other factors as well). Also, as you point out, achieving over 5m/kWhr is possible under certain circumstances and over shorter distances. But nobody to my knowledge has declared doing this over 100miles, which was my challenge. You're getting close though!
Adee it has taken a while, but my LR finally got a good run today and the magic "5.0" appeared at approaching 200 miles 🙂

Attachments

• 20221010_192454.jpg
    20221010_192454.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 71
Just clocked over the 20k miles yesterday on my Gen 1 ZS. The average just driving a mix of every kind of road over the past 3384 miles, 65.49 hrs, 23 Av mph 3.9 miles/kWh. This average of 3.9 miles/kWh has been pretty consistent for the past nearly 3 years. obviously, In summer, on a longer trips, typically I would see 4.2 miles/kWh. I don't burn rubber but i don't hang around, but this does illustrate the aerodynamic difference between ZS and MG5. It will be interesting to see how the MG4 compares longer term.

Today I had a run to the garden centre mix roads conditions 6/7 miles on M6 at around 60mph on the way back with 300 ltrs of compost in the boot big heavy bags roads mainly flat aircon for on a little while, using eco with kers 1&2 but with as much anticipation in driving style as possible but still keeping up with the traffic

View attachment 2876
300 litres of compost? Blimey, how's your back? 🤔😰

Just clocked over the 20k miles yesterday on my Gen 1 ZS. The average just driving a mix of every kind of road over the past 3384 miles, 65.49 hrs, 23 Av mph 3.9 miles/kWh. This average of 3.9 miles/kWh has been pretty consistent for the past nearly 3 years. obviously, In summer, on a longer trips, typically I would see 4.2 miles/kWh. I don't burn rubber but i don't hang around, but this does illustrate the aerodynamic difference between ZS and MG5. It will be interesting to see how the MG4 compares longer term.
I agree.
Also a larger capacity battery has greater voltage stability than a smaller one, so less amps are drawn to give the required number of watts. I've even noticed this between my first 5 SR and current 5 LR.
My 5 is coming up to the reset point on the long memory screen, I zeroed it the day I bought it (ex demonstrator) last December and haven't touched it since!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom