Miles/kWh

I didn't realise that the long term screen resets at 10,000 miles! So mine now tells me I've spent 432 hours doing 16 miles 😅
Resetting every month is a good idea. My miles per kw/w has suffered massively from a 50-mile M6 school run every morning (now the kids are at a grammar school) and the reduction in ambient temperature.
But still managing 180 miles ish per charge so not as big a dip as some would have you think.

I remember it well, Les! You were doing slightly better than me then and you are still now. So here's my first nine months of stats, after a particularly busy last couple of months, pleased enough with this as it included winter months from the very end of December.

Anyway, I zeroed it only yesterday, so we'll see how things go the next six months of cooler weather, then we can compare again.
Hi again Valiant5 that’s great when you factor in your 3 months further on than me and as you have said some winter temperatures as well we are very very similar and in speed it’s the very same. Question what colour is your car?
This way by looking at the accumulated counter is in my opinion the best shortage trips don’t mean a lot to me to many variables to get a true figure on short journeys.
I’m not going to reset the counter until I get to the year mark then I probably will

Hi again Valiant5 that’s great when you factor in your 3 months further on than me and as you have said some winter temperatures as well we are very very similar and in speed it’s the very same. Question what colour is your car?
This way by looking at the accumulated counter is in my opinion the best shortage trips don’t mean a lot to me to many variables to get a true figure on short journeys.
I’m not going to reset the counter until I get to the year mark then I probably will
Hi, Les. My 5 is blue. I think I like the red a teeny bit more, but the Leaf I had before was red so I wanted a change. My wife didn't want silver as they can be hard to find in car parks, and white can be difficult to keep clean. Anyway, this weekend our eldest son is getting a red 5! So two in the family then.

Couple of warmer days now, so the figures should improve again

Hi, Les. My 5 is blue. I think I like the red a teeny bit more, but the Leaf I had before was red so I wanted a change. My wife didn't want silver as they can be hard to find in car parks, and white can be difficult to keep clean. Anyway, this weekend our eldest son is getting a red 5! So two in the family then.

Couple of warmer days now, so the figures should improve again
Hi Valiant5 you know What i guessed it would be blue so mine, now I wonder if in the factory if they make the blues on one line,red on another, silver on another one and so on, seeing as both our blue cars appear to have very similar performance LOL we might have got the best colour for mpkh my other half wanted the red but they had none in stock at the time
Les

Last edited:
I had one long range out this week on test, only got 150 miles out f the charge, 20% of battery left but it was red so not being familiar I decided to play it safe and charge it rather than be stuck along the road. best i could get was 3.5 miles per kilowatt with 3.7 briefly on one journey driving like miss Daisey. Have ordered a HS PHEV 2 weeks ago but tempted to change the order to an MG5, dont think the wife is ready to jump from a manual diesel all the way to full EV so I'm trying the hybrid first. Very impressed by the car definitely real value for money in an MG5. Loved the quality of the ride and comfort, Mg pilot is a big plus but without the lane assist in my book. feels like your driving on ice with lane assist on. Dont trust it either, was heading for the hedge a couple of times on a road with white side lines

I had one long range out this week on test, only got 150 miles out f the charge, 20% of battery left but it was red so not being familiar I decided to play it safe and charge it rather than be stuck along the road. best i could get was 3.5 miles per kilowatt with 3.7 briefly on one journey driving like miss Daisey. Have ordered a HS PHEV 2 weeks ago but tempted to change the order to an MG5, dont think the wife is ready to jump from a manual diesel all the way to full EV so I'm trying the hybrid first. Very impressed by the car definitely real value for money in an MG5. Loved the quality of the ride and comfort, Mg pilot is a big plus but without the lane assist in my book. feels like your driving on ice with lane assist on. Dont trust it either, was heading for the hedge a couple of times on a road with white side lines
Hi, it a shame you didn't get nearer 200 from the car, the range does drop with everything on eg fan, heater and lights. I was getting 4.2m/kwh during the summer on my MG5 sr but that is down to 4m/kWh in this weather. Did you use eco and kers3?

I used eco and kers 2 Jomarkh on Monday and Tues. To be truthful I was running the aircon a fair bit. I was out at dark for about 1/2 hrs driving on Monday night with lights and heat on. I did try to do a run on Wednesday but the battery took from 4 pm on Tues to 2 pm on Wed to charge on the 3 pin charger. I put it down to the power supply in my garage although it should be around 20-30 amps or else these three pin chargers are crap. Had to leave it back this morning so didn't get to try out learning tactics of kers 3 on a 160 mile round trip I planned for yesterday. Probably i would have got to the 180mark out of the battery but being new to it I didn't take any chances of being stranded. some of you experienced with the car will prob have an idea what miles 20% of the battery will do?

I used eco and kers 2 Jomarkh on Monday and Tues. To be truthful I was running the aircon a fair bit. I was out at dark for about 1/2 hrs driving on Monday night with lights and heat on. I did try to do a run on Wednesday but the battery took from 4 pm on Tues to 2 pm on Wed to charge on the 3 pin charger. I put it down to the power supply in my garage although it should be around 20-30 amps or else these three pin chargers are crap. Had to leave it back this morning so didn't get to try out learning tactics of kers 3 on a 160 mile round trip I planned for yesterday. Probably i would have got to the 180mark out of the battery but being new to it I didn't take any chances of being stranded. some of you experienced with the car will prob have an idea what miles 20% of the battery will do?
On my std. range 5 I'd expect to get 40 miles from 20%, as I almost always get at least 2 miles per %, but obviously you need to keep a bit in hand!
I got from Carlisle to Skegness (221 miles) with 7% left and that was cutting it a bit fine 😆

On my std. range 5 I'd expect to get 40 miles from 20%, as I almost always get at least 2 miles per %, but obviously you need to keep a bit in hand!
I got from Carlisle to Skegness (221 miles) with 7% left and that was cutting it a bit fine 😆
looked up the photo out of curiosity, it was only 144 miles at 23% battery left, not the 150 I said earlier.
IMG_20211005_152856678.jpg
IMG_20211005_152853427.jpg

Last edited:
22 hours to charge the battery on a 3 pin charger sounds about right. The charger is performing exactly as it should.

I put it down to the power supply in my garage although it should be around 20-30 amps
it isn't that. The Granny charger is a 10A charger. A single three pin plug is only rated up to 13A, and some older sockets will get a tad on the warm side drawing even that.

Your supply might be a 20 or 32A ring, but that's the total ring with multiple sockets on it.

Yeah, it's slow. it draws 2.4KW, and (assuming 80% efficiency) probably delivers about 1.92Kw to the battery. I'm on Go Faster (3 hours of cheap power) and the Granny could put in about 10% of the battery in 3 hours. A proper (7Kw) charger does about a third of the battery in the same time.

it isn't that. The Granny charger is a 10A charger. A single three pin plug is only rated up to 13A, and some older sockets will get a tad on the warm side drawing even that.

Your supply might be a 20 or 32A ring, but that's the total ring with multiple sockets on it.

Yeah, it's slow. it draws 2.4KW, and (assuming 80% efficiency) probably delivers about 1.92Kw to the battery. I'm on Go Faster (3 hours of cheap power) and the Granny could put in about 10% of the battery in 3 hours. A proper (7Kw) charger does about a third of the battery in the same time.
I bought a secondhand Polar / Chargemaster 7kw wall unit for for £100 and it's been faultless, often give it a quick couple of hours boost during the day if we're low, definitely the way to go!

I am starting to lean towards KERS 1 for all but the slowest city driving, I feel I can get much better efficiency when doing this although its still early days for testing the theory. Does anyone lean towards doing that? I wonder how inefficient the regenerative breaking is.

Do we know when breaks are actually applied when using the break peddle? Is it only when breaking exceeds what the regenerative breaking can absorb is is there some sort of ratio going on?

I am starting to lean towards KERS 1 for all but the slowest city driving, I feel I can get much better efficiency when doing this although its still early days for testing the theory. Does anyone lean towards doing that? I wonder how inefficient the regenerative breaking is.

Do we know when breaks are actually applied when using the break peddle? Is it only when breaking exceeds what the regenerative breaking can absorb is is there some sort of ratio going on?
I toggle between 1, 2 andv3 depending on how much cadence is appropriate, and often rarely use the footbrake as a result, mainly at junctions or unexpected situations. I imagine brake pads on these cars will last forever!
Using the footbrake seems to combine physical braking with regenerative braking so less pedal effort is needed.

I get 3 or 3.2, I live in a flat City too. Granted I have roof bars on but when I add the miles done & the expected range together I am generally at a combined 214-218 miles so I dont loose sleep

This is my first 'winter' 1k since resetting the trip after six months on the 30th September. Well pleased with 4m/kWh but I can't see that I will keep that up as the weather gets worse and dark morning and evening work commutes.
IMG_20211020_100116.jpg

....I imagine brake pads on these cars will last forever!...
I can tell you from experience (owning an Ampera for some years) that unless you are careful that is certainly NOT true. The brakes will get a bit crusty as they are not used and eventually bind, and wear out the pads AND discs. Had to have my rears completely replaced at about 45k miles.

The advice in the Ampera was to occasionally knock off the regen completely when approaching a long braking period (e.g. coming off a motorway onto a downramp at speed) and use the brakes quite harshly occasionally.

Not sure if you can do this with the MG5 as my LR Exclusive is still somewhere on a slow boat from China - near the Bay of Biscay I think.

I can tell you from experience (owning an Ampera for some years) that unless you are careful that is certainly NOT true. The brakes will get a bit crusty as they are not used and eventually bind, and wear out the pads AND discs. Had to have my rears completely replaced at about 45k miles.

The advice in the Ampera was to occasionally knock off the regen completely when approaching a long braking period (e.g. coming off a motorway onto a downramp at speed) and use the brakes quite harshly occasionally.

Not sure if you can do this with the MG5 as my LR Exclusive is still somewhere on a slow boat from China - near the Bay of Biscay I think.
SWMBO had the rear discs replaced twice in 60 odd thousand miles on her old 2006 Prius for this very reason.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom