• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Miles/kWh

Hiya, I total agree the reason why I said the figures are important is because they are untrue the car g.o.m takes an Estimate of your passed journeys and as you quite rightly state Petriix it’s about how you drive the type and condition of the roads your on because at the end of my journey in poor conditions at times you can see from my pictures the car still was showing 22% battery left enough for a further 50 miles or so under the same conditions not that I would ever push it that far unless I had to
Les
I'm pretty confident on how the consumption will respond to my driving. I drove 180 miles without holding back on mostly motorways and dual carriageways and got home with 6%. I could easily have slowed down and kept more in reserve but I just didn't need to.

On the corresponding outward journey I got 220 miles from 84% and could have got close to 280 to empty if I'd really wanted to (I drove faster in the latter part of the route).

It's pretty easy to manage but certain conditions can significantly reduce the range:
  • Cold really affects the battery efficiency but you can mitigate it a bit by charging right before you leave or rapid charging early in the journey, and of course the heating is power hungry.
  • Heavy rain can add a lot of additional rolling resistance due to the energy required to displace the standing water.
  • Headwinds are basically the same as driving faster in that air resistance increases at velocity squared.
When multiple of these factors combine it has a massive impact and can be quite a shock if you're not used to it. Some people who've only bought their EV this spring/summer might struggle a bit in the winter.

20210814_132441.jpg
103 mile trip to Exeter. Combination of motorway and A roads to get around the worst of the traffic hence average speed of 31 mph. Remaining charge is about 10% higher when doing the same journey in the spring.

Hi Folks,

A first post for me on this forum but I thought that I'd give some of the figures that I have so far on the car. It's been a couple of month's since I bought the car and I've been tracking both fast charge use and (now installed) home charge use.

Current Milage2,609
Electricity cost to date£78.09
Average m/kWh3.9
Total kWh669
Average electricity price11.67p
running costs in Pence per mile2.99 p/m

I'm looking forwad to this reducing over the next few months as I use more home charging and get switched over to the Octopus Go tariff.

MG5 EV Exclusive - I'm only a little miffed about the whole LR release...

Hi Folks,

A first post for me on this forum but I thought that I'd give some of the figures that I have so far on the car. It's been a couple of month's since I bought the car and I've been tracking both fast charge use and (now installed) home charge use.

Current Milage2,609
Electricity cost to date£78.09
Average m/kWh3.9
Total kWh669
Average electricity price11.67p
running costs in Pence per mile2.99 p/m

I'm looking forwad to this reducing over the next few months as I use more home charging and get switched over to the Octopus Go tariff.

MG5 EV Exclusive - I'm only a little miffed about the whole LR release...
Hello and welcome to the forum great post you have placed I can see your doing all the right things I have the same car with almost 5000 miles on it’s been great I’m perhaps a little bit better off than you in electricity cost to date I have only spent less than half of what you have but there are reasons for it them being I have Pv solar at home and a zappi which uses the excess solar to charge the car plus where I live there are good few chargers which are free to use now having family in your part of the world Chalfont sr Peter I was in high Wycombe only last week that journey you can read above my god you have some big hill there that I know for sure buy also not a great charging network either
With regard to the LR loads of 5 owners are a bit miffed about this but what can you do no matter what you buy today in the electrical world we live in is out of date almost as soon as you buy it I refer to cell phones and TVs and cars appear to be much the same with new and updated models appearing almost every week just got to live with it I suppose as the old saying goes
You pays you money and that’s the chance
Les

Well that was a surprise. At 6000 I have managed to increase to 4.2m/Kwh.
So who wants to work out what average do I have to obtain for the next 1k miles to get 4.3m/Kwh at 7000 miles?

Attachments

• IMG_20210824_080503.jpg
    IMG_20210824_080503.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Dudley to Chester zoo and back, 3 people in the car, no air con on the way there but on full time on way back.
Used 29% to get there and 33% on the way back, tractors about on the a41 on the way there.

Eco all the way there and the odd splash of sport as needed to clear some dawdlers on the return leg.
I was tempted to charge at the zoo but wanted to see what was left after the full trip.
Ps. Forgot to take a pic when i got there but it was 4.3kwh and still had 71%.

Pps. We took a slightly different route on the way back, 68 miles there and 72 back.

20210828_190702.jpg

Just done 7k in just under 6 months.
Still at 4.2kWh.
I will reset this at exactly 6 months and see if I get anywhere near the same figures for the next 6 months over the winter.

Attachments

• IMG_20210915_080808.jpg
    IMG_20210915_080808.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 144
IMG_20210909_160208977.jpg

This was on our way from Derbyshire to a village about 25 miles east of Edinburgh which our son moved to last Friday. So we made it all the way beyond the Scottish border with just 6pc remaining, so a bit tight! Especially when we fell foul of the change of network for Charge Place Scotland. Couldn't get the charger to start and that was the cue for heavy rain starting, but with the very helpful Murdo and Mark at CPS, got enough juice in the end.

So, well over 200 miles range, the average speed lowered by roadworks on the A1 and a slow drive across our part of Derbyshire to reach the motorway network. Longest drive so far and the 5 passed with flying colours.

View attachment 4868
This was on our way from Derbyshire to a village about 25 miles east of Edinburgh which our son moved to last Friday. So we made it all the way beyond the Scottish border with just 6pc remaining, so a bit tight! Especially when we fell foul of the change of network for Charge Place Scotland. Couldn't get the charger to start and that was the cue for heavy rain starting, but with the very helpful Murdo and Mark at CPS, got enough juice in the end.

So, well over 200 miles range, the average speed lowered by roadworks on the A1 and a slow drive across our part of Derbyshire to reach the motorway network. Longest drive so far and the 5 passed with flying colours.
Is this a long range version?

No, a regular Excite. Doubt many LRs have done more than 5,000 miles already 😁
My std. range Exclusive is on its way to 10,000 and just keeps getting better 🙂
But I do doubt the accuracy of the software. I just did this school run plus another few miles to go shopping and got just over 50 miles on the first 20%. With a usable 50kw/h of HV battery capacity, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to calculate that this is 5 miles per kw/h, yet the dashboard only shows 3.9, which is a 22% error. On other occasions this has been closer to a 30% error, so I don't take as much notice of that part of the readout anymore.

Attachments

• 20210918_160304.jpg
    20210918_160304.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 118
No you're right Johnny 5, it doesn't qualify, but it's damned close. Well done. This is the current target to beat, folks. (Remember, less than 100miles doesn't qualify!!).

Have you ever accidentally turned the "gearknob" the wrong way after coasting or overshot the neutral when putting it into N from D. I have been thinking of trying coasting but I'm worried about wrecking something expensive.
Having established in my post above that the miles per kw/h is pretty inaccurate I decided to re-evaluate my trip to Skegness using maths instead.
133.1 miles on half the battery capacity (25kw/h) is actually slightly above 5.3, even though the display only reads 4.8 😡
But in any case I do believe it smashes the "100 miles at 5 miles per kw/h" challenge 😊

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210918-161749_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210918-161749_Gallery.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 112
Having established in my post above that the miles per kw/h is pretty inaccurate I decided to re-evaluate my trip to Skegness using maths instead.
133.1 miles on half the battery capacity (25kw/h) is actually slightly above 5.3, even though the display only reads 4.8 😡
But in any case I do believe it smashes the "100 miles at 5 miles per kw/h" challenge 😊
I'd agree with the mkwh reading being wrong, I get between 210 and 220 to a charge regardless of what the meter says. I've been ignoring it and using simple arithmetic to work out range. i.e. 50% soh multiply the range left by two. It's not precise but over 8000 miles I've found it to be good enough.

Hi all a my MG5 standard range turned 6 months old last Friday now I know there is a few threads now running on this same subject about mileage but couple of months back myself and valiant5 had very similar mileage on our cars plus neither of us had reset the accumulated counter so we did a comparison at around 3.6k with similar results this is why I am sticking with this thread as I think it was the first on this so has I said now 6 months in and I’m very happy with the mileage on mine quite a few 200 miles plus runs and motorway work which I don’t think helps much with mpkh will be interesting to see what the next 6 months does as the weather worsened for the winter.
Les
95E6016D-DDCF-40FB-B3D9-D1BC3B8212B5.jpeg

This is my 6 month picture for the summer months. I have now reset it to see how the winter 6 months perform.
Look at the differences my mph is slightly higher which would account for the m/kWh being lower. If my mileage is a bit more why is my driving hours less?
IMG_20210930_080853.jpg

This is my 6 month picture for the summer months. I have now reset it to see how the winter 6 months perform.
Look at the differences my mph is slightly higher which would account for the m/kWh being lower. If my mileage is a bit more why is my driving hours less?
View attachment 5100
I am going to reset my trip computer on the 1st of every month to see how in performs on a monthly basis. It's going to be interesting to see how all data fits together after a year.

View attachment 5100
Hi Jomarkh probably because you have been going faster than me overall but it’s still a very good figure you have got well done
Les

Last edited:
Hi Jomarkh probably because you have been go faster than me overall but it’s still a very good figure you have got well done
Les
Hi all a my MG5 standard range turned 6 months old last Friday now I know there is a few threads now running on this same subject about mileage but couple of months back myself and valiant5 had very similar mileage on our cars plus neither of us had reset the accumulated counter so we did a comparison at around 3.6k with similar results this is why I am sticking with this thread as I think it was the first on this so has I said now 6 months in and I’m very happy with the mileage on mine quite a few 200 miles plus runs and motorway work which I don’t think helps much with mpkh will be interesting to see what the next 6 months does as the weather worsened for the winter.
Les
View attachment 5097
I remember it well, Les! You were doing slightly better than me then and you are still now. So here's my first nine months of stats, after a particularly busy last couple of months, pleased enough with this as it included winter months from the very end of December.

Anyway, I zeroed it only yesterday, so we'll see how things go the next six months of cooler weather, then we can compare again.

Attachments

• IMG_20211003_125605484.jpg
    IMG_20211003_125605484.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 125
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom