Miles/kWh

This is my accumulated reading since the last reset.

Attachments

• IMG_20210808_193253_1.jpg
    IMG_20210808_193253_1.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 169
1.000 mile mark today.

Mix of all sorts of driving and mostly via free charging so it's cost me almost nothing !

Attachments

• 2021-08-11 15.23.12.jpg
    2021-08-11 15.23.12.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 142
Hi all Here is a copy off a post I did a week ago I put this in the ZS forum by mistake so have tried to correct that mistake and put it here in the MG5 forum where it should be

Right here’s the kind of journey I hate from WIGAN to Chalfont St. Peter in Buckinghamshire, 2 Adults boot and rear seats full of luggage all but about 7 miles is motorway M6 M5 M42 M40 195.1 miles which Im sure I could have done without charging, left fully charged this morning GOM showing 220 miles with nothing turned on, 20 degrees so had HVAC set about 18 on all the way speed upto leagal limit in parts but fair amount of traffic plus several sets of road works at 50or60mph averaged 50mph over all.
Stopped at Hopwood park service’s on M42 had to meet someone there as we where delivering an item to them, so couldn’t have charge there even if I had tried 2 ecotricty pumps 1 CCs and chadomo the other AC and chadomo,only the.AC working at 7kw was going to plug in the AC while we had a spot of lunch when a chap in a Zoe pulled up and was very low on charge so I moved my car out and let him have the spot to get some charge, so onwards on the M40 to Warwick services on arrival car now showing 51% around 119 miles left with HVAC still running 129 when switched off, so spot of lunch and a quick top up to 81% this time again Ecotricity1 CCS 2 chadomo 1ac and all working then onwards to Chalfont St Peter around a further 77 miles of the M40 on arrival 51% left again 119 miles so the GOM is bang on I’m sure, we’ll that’s about it for this story being the real world off Motorway driving 195.1 miles driven car returned 4.2 MPKWH with aircon on all the way in E1 not the best figures I have ever had but in mainly motorway work it’s not that bad
Les
19129634-6523-42D2-8B6A-867548F69ECF.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
Quote Reply
Report Edit
Reactions:micky, Dave S, Scriv and 2 others

[IMG alt="Cocijo"]https://www.mgevs.com/data/avatars/m/3/3058.jpg?1615635484[/IMG]

Cocijo

Well-known Member​

JoinedJan 6, 2021Messages2,224Reaction score2,111Points146 Uk
That 4.2 ave 50mph will take some beating Les!

Part 1 - Hi here’s the return journey from the one above so had a week in Buckinghamshire where I was visiting family and today it was time to come home
So last night car was fully charged via the granny box ready for today 12/08/21
If you read my last post you will see I said I was sure I could do this drive 195 miles thereabouts with out stopping to charge so here’s what happened the wife and I left Chalfont st Peter at around 12:30 and took the A 413 to high Wycombe shopping for a while there, so from there we pick up the A40 heading north to join the M40 so in total around 18-20 miles of A roads with some very big hills raining quite hard so wipers going lights on etc but no HVAC being used Recirculation switched to off and front windows open just a bit to stop any missing up.
You can See from the first three pictures below there is at 100% charge with 405volts and at switch on in normal mode regen 2 it’s reads 210 miles this is the cars Default
In Eco mode regen 2 it’s 221 miles
And in Sports regen 2 189 miles
These figures are important you will see why in a little while

3B133356-A37D-4142-BD56-627D3BD22C5C.jpeg132BABD7-6120-464A-A8F6-41EB46B3E7AD.jpeg86A904CA-7775-4D6E-9483-72B855766978.jpeg
I had done a ZAP MAP check to as i Thought while doing this trip I would check how Grid serve where getting on with their new rapid chargers on the Motorway services so we join the M40 at Stokenchurch Jn 5 still raining and I set the cruise control to 63mph fast enough in these conditions and for you know who sssssh
So onwards to Warwick services stopped here for the toilets and a quick KFC and to check out but not to use the chargers.
There are 2 Ecotricity here both where not working about right I suppose so the next pictures are at this stop after 73 miles
22121034-11E4-4252-A676-ADC83FE468B6.jpegCD9B6D95-896D-468E-89D2-98EC4CEBA9FE.jpeg74E8403C-DA55-4521-80EF-C51909F1EC15.jpeg
Onwards up the M40 and pick up M42 this is where the trouble begins nose to tail for miles after miles I have said many times I’m not going to use this road I think this was the first of the smart motorways but my o my is it the worse always ram jam busy but where here so just keep going on to the M6 not to bad at first able to pick a bit of speed again and it’s stopped raining but not going mad 65ish do for me then we get to jun8 M5 joins the M6 here gridlocked is the word I think crawling pace for a quite a few miles again so we get to Hilton Park service’s still fine on battery but I pull off to take a look at the chargers new Grid serve ones great, 6/8 weeks back Ecotricity ones where not working here now gone , but I don’t need them this time 122 miles done still got 51% and 120 miles in eco1 only around 75 to do so carry on

3B90679B-6F31-450B-AED8-E63D8E3B1552.jpeg36BC3917-3A29-46C2-A2E5-9CEAF263F539.jpeg7F2D0792-9983-4FF7-A067-FA6139D0B83D.jpeg57A876C1-C67B-44D2-853C-7E4DA3934217.jpeg
So we did so stopped off again at Stafford to have a look still Ecotricity not sure if they where working or not but they where not being used Interesting point at Stafford it’s a BP service station and just to the side of the fuel petrol/diesel station there was a little way from it is an area with 6/7 boxes in a line still in there wrapping could BP be setting up a rapid charger Facility here perhaps? A bit like they have at jun 27 on the M6 could be I think.

Still travelling north pulled off at Sandbach & Knutsford both now Gridserve and working I still don’t need to charge
We come off at jun25 calling at Sainsbury’s for some basic food stuff and park at home at 18:45 and these last pictures show what the car has left

Will now have to start a new post as this wont take any more pictures look out for Part 2 below

Last edited:
PART 2
Home and what’s left in the car at 25% the % gauge on the left turned from green to red but still showed 63 miles in E1 all in all an interesting drive home I’m sure if the weather had been a bit better starting off we could have topped 240-250 miles but the average speed was well down on our outward journey #249 weather and traffic to blame for that plus pulling off a fair bit to see how Gridserve or doing and I’m happy to report its very well indeed
Les

36D06F9A-7C2E-49DC-B6F7-AE8DAABD4B33.jpegE451F71C-27B8-4E29-BFEB-D3A1F954121C.jpegDBE5AFC6-72D2-4AEA-A6A4-18C525238ACF.jpeg9E4FA799-3221-4D8D-BCD9-65908CDA1939.jpeg
E35231B4-DBFC-4EA6-B73F-68430B1A5BF4.jpeg

So 4.6 miles/kWh over 195.1 I’m happy with that
Getting very near the 5K mark now update soon on my accumulated Mile/Kwh
P S Came across a very straight piece of road going up quite a steep hill on the A413 on my way to Wycombe so this road was 3 lanes one going down then double white lines and 2 lanes on the up side must have been 1/2 mile long at the bottom put the car into sport mode and just few passed everything else on that stretch bit of fun it was the power is fantastic
Les

Last edited:
Les, fantastic post......I think they accidentally gave you a long range! You don’t mention using the pilot etc 😂 seriously, that’s a bloody good report 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👍🏽

Les, fantastic post......I think they accidentally gave you a long range! You don’t mention using the pilot etc 😂 seriously, that’s a bloody good report 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👍🏽
Thank you Stuart don’t know if it came across but what I was trying to show is the Differences between the 3 driving modes and driving conditions when doing a longer trip as for me these low mileage posts with some great figures don’t mean a lot I have seen over 5.5 a few times in the right Terrain but over a much shorter distance and I know you yourself do a lot off miles but a little bit faster perhaps than I do so that’s another factor so on the return leg I got 4.6 driving a bit slower 36 mph down 14mph from the 50 mph average going down with some bad weather at first and by not using the HVAC that’s an improvement of 0.4 over the going down leg not a lot not a lot of Difference is there over greater Distances-so I thank you again stu
Les

Just a thought - what effect does the state of the 12v battery have on the mileage? I see a few people have mentioned that it seems to start off lower on a trip and then rise. I also noticed that in the first 6 of Les's pictures the voltage from the '12v' battery rises, then drops again after his cuppa, finally rising to 14.1.
I might be clutching at straws here though. If I remember rightly, a car battery can deliver about 70AH. so assuming 12v, that's less than 1KwH from flat to full right? and I wouldn't expect it to be going any where near flat...
If it does have an impact though then that raises another question. The LR has 'intelligent charging' where (so it seems from the book. Yes, I haven't got the car yet so I've read the manual!) it fires up the HV battery to slap a little charge into the 12v if it's getting a bit low when parked. Does that usage report on your next trip or does it just 'disappear' in the economy calcs?

Also - after just reading the thread about wallboxes / chargers, hoovers/vacuums and CUs / Fuseboxes I had a little chuckle to see Les throw caution to the wind and refer to 'Ecotricity Pumps!') I did have to stop myself asking if the car would arrive with a 'full tank' when buying...

That's a good result, Les. As you point out, the slower your average speed the better the result (although there are obviously other factors as well). Also, as you point out, achieving over 5m/kWhr is possible under certain circumstances and over shorter distances. But nobody to my knowledge has declared doing this over 100miles, which was my challenge. You're getting close though!

Just a thought - what effect does the state of the 12v battery have on the mileage? I see a few people have mentioned that it seems to start off lower on a trip and then rise. I also noticed that in the first 6 of Les's pictures the voltage from the '12v' battery rises, then drops again after his cuppa, finally rising to 14.1.
I might be clutching at straws here though. If I remember rightly, a car battery can deliver about 70AH. so assuming 12v, that's less than 1KwH from flat to full right? and I wouldn't expect it to be going any where near flat...
If it does have an impact though then that raises another question. The LR has 'intelligent charging' where (so it seems from the book. Yes, I haven't got the car yet so I've read the manual!) it fires up the HV battery to slap a little charge into the 12v if it's getting a bit low when parked. Does that usage report on your next trip or does it just 'disappear' in the economy calcs?

Also - after just reading the thread about wallboxes / chargers, hoovers/vacuums and CUs / Fuseboxes I had a little chuckle to see Les throw caution to the wind and refer to 'Ecotricity Pumps!') I did have to stop myself asking if the car would arrive with a 'full tank' when buying...
Hi your right about the 12 volt readings and the probably reason is I have not Immediately switch the car off when I’ve stopped and cycling thro the screens to get the pictures that’s a few minutes be we are talking about very small amounts so in answer to you question I don’t think it would any or a very minor affect on range and always quickly soon gets back to around the 14 volt mark once the car is put in too ready mode but thanks for your comments
Les
P.s you may or maybe not notice that after being fully charged 100% and balanced the electric information screen reads 405 volts which I believe is correct for the MG5 but once the battery is down to what it was after driving the 195 miles 22% its only showing 344 volts

Last edited:
You can See from the first three pictures below there is at 100% charge with 405volts and at switch on in normal mode regen 2 it’s reads 210 miles this is the cars Default
In Eco mode regen 2 it’s 221 miles
And in Sports regen 2 189 miles
These figures are important you will see why in a little while
I couldn't see why these figures are important. As far as I can tell the GOM is reasonably accurate if you drive economically but it's pretty easy to see that you'll get between 1.5 mile and 3 miles per 1% depending on conditions and how you drive. The GOM can't guess what you're going to be doing so it's not really a meaningful number.

I couldn't see why these figures are important. As far as I can tell the GOM is reasonably accurate if you drive economically but it's pretty easy to see that you'll get between 1.5 mile and 3 miles per 1% depending on conditions and how you drive. The GOM can't guess what you're going to be doing so it's not really a meaningful number.
Hiya, I total agree the reason why I said the figures are important is because they are untrue the car g.o.m takes an Estimate of your passed journeys and as you quite rightly state Petriix it’s about how you drive the type and condition of the roads your on because at the end of my journey in poor conditions at times you can see from my pictures the car still was showing 22% battery left enough for a further 50 miles or so under the same conditions not that I would ever push it that far unless I had to
Les

I have a run to Exeter and back tomorrow. 198 mile round trip mostly on the motorway. Last time I did the journey I started with 100% and was down to 48% when I reached Exeter. Hopefully with better weather I might see a better return.

I have a run to Exeter and back tomorrow. 198 mile round trip mostly on the motorway. Last time I did the journey I started with 100% and was down to 48% when I reached Exeter. Hopefully with better weather I might see a better return.
Hiya prof1967 let’s us now how you go on weather is about as warm as it will be tomorrow the mg5 should do that easy I have managed that a couple of times in mine see how you and post a report here after your done
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom