Miles/kWh

Here you can find an example of data collected by an MG5 owner. Th peak power for MG5 charging is 80kW.

Hope it helps.

I couldn't replicate the figures on the way home as there had been a fatal accident on the A16, massive queues and a lengthy diversion, and after all this four hungry occupants!
So we pulled in the The Green Tree Inn near Doncaster for a fabulous bar meal while the MG5 enjoyed its first CCS charge at the BP Pulse unit situated there.
Quick question - it never went above 16kw/h charge rate; is this correct? The Kia e-Niro next to me was charging at 20kw/h which still doesn't seem very high.
Don't get me wrong, it raised my charge level from 58% to 88% in the 25 mins it was connected, but for some reason I was expecting more.
Maybe I'm just impatient? 😄
There's something wrong there, Johnny5.
If your charge recovered from 58% to 88%, then that is about 0.3 x 50kWhr or 15kWhr of charge that you gained. As you only had it plugged in for under half-an-hour then the charge rate is probably around 30kW.
The units that you quote of kW/hr seem wrong. Are you sure it wasn't a total charge of 16kWhr rather than a charge rate of 16kW/hr. If so then that all stacks up with the estimated 15kWhr I calculated above.

Our weekend trip across to Nantwich:
IMG_20210717_114342296.jpg

..This was by way of an experiment - Normal mode/KERS2 no A/C (just kept the windows open a crack) on the way there. It was admittedly a sedate trip due to agricultural traffic and roadworks. On the return, with A/C all the way, and an average of 38mph, we got 4.4, which I thought was purty good...

There's something wrong there, Johnny5.
If your charge recovered from 58% to 88%, then that is about 0.3 x 50kWhr or 15kWhr of charge that you gained. As you only had it plugged in for under half-an-hour then the charge rate is probably around 30kW.
The units that you quote of kW/hr seem wrong. Are you sure it wasn't a total charge of 16kWhr rather than a charge rate of 16kW/hr. If so then that all stacks up with the estimated 15kWhr I calculated above.
Oh duhh - told you I was a beginner 😆
16kw/h was obviously the charge received in 25 mins, which equates to charge rate of 38.4kw/h.
I feel better now 😁

16kw/h was obviously the charge received in 25 mins, which equates to charge rate of 38.4kw/h.
I feel better now 😁
Power (charge rate as you put it) is measured in kW and energy (charge received) in kWh.

I feel better now 😁
Well at least you've tried a rapid charger!
I haven't been near one yet and wouldn't know where to start.
I like me old Grannie but I'm gonna have to pluck up courage at some point. :)

Our weekend trip across to Nantwich:
View attachment 4114

..This was by way of an experiment - Normal mode/KERS2 no A/C (just kept the windows open a crack) on the way there. It was admittedly a sedate trip due to agricultural traffic and roadworks. On the return, with A/C all the way, and an average of 38mph, we got 4.4, which I thought was purty good...
Ahhhh so. You've got your car back, Arf. Did they say what was wrong with it - or did you cover that in another thread?
This result is excellent and it illustrates something that I think I experienced myself - namely that the car seemed to produce better miles/kWhr figures when the car/battery was brand new. I am really struggling to get over 4.4 now and yet I'm pretty sure I was routinely getting just under 5 when I first had the vehicle.
Keep up the good work - maybe you'll be the first to evidence over 5miles/kWhr for a journey length of over 100miles (for which there is no prize, I hasten to add :) ).

Closeto5.jpg

Close...but no cigar.

This is again my wife's commute, plus a number of very short journeys over the weekend. Unfortunately I think the hot weather and more traffic has had a worse effect on town driving, so more air con needed to cool the batteries (less airflow from driving) and also cooling the driver. This was for last week and the Friday journey home was only 3.9Miles/kWh for the 8.5miles and this week is about the same ie not so good.

Well at least you've tried a rapid charger!
I haven't been near one yet and wouldn't know where to start.
I like me old Grannie but I'm gonna have to pluck up courage at some point. :)
I didn't realise that the BP Pulse app gives you a thorough review of each charge, I learn something every day.
Unlike some other reports I've read, my MG5 seems to be yielding more and more range the more miles I put on it (just over 6,000 so far) so I'll be interested to see when it peaks and at what point it begins to deteriorate.
I still think these are magnificent cars, and for the price I paid, exceptional value 🙂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210721-112647_bp pulse.jpg
    Screenshot_20210721-112647_bp pulse.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 139
Ahhhh so. You've got your car back, Arf. Did they say what was wrong with it - or did you cover that in another thread?
This result is excellent and it illustrates something that I think I experienced myself - namely that the car seemed to produce better miles/kWhr figures when the car/battery was brand new. I am really struggling to get over 4.4 now and yet I'm pretty sure I was routinely getting just under 5 when I first had the vehicle.
Keep up the good work - maybe you'll be the first to evidence over 5miles/kWhr for a journey length of over 100miles (for which there is no prize, I hasten to add :) ).
Hiya, yeah, I got Sparky Norman back last Wednesday... I posted up the repair ticket on the other thread, but basically sprocket had come off t'treddle, and the thrutching cone was muntered... err.. I think. No, it was a relay, a cable and a BCM update. All very odd, but there yer go. It seems fine now, charging off the granny, and we've put about 150 miles on it since. I'm taking it to have the windows tinted on Friday, so I'm going to try a rapid charger as well, just to make sure everything is good....

I didn't realise that the BP Pulse app gives you a thorough review of each charge, I learn something every day.
Unlike some other reports I've read, my MG5 seems to be yielding more and more range the more miles I put on it (just over 6,000 so far) so I'll be interested to see when it peaks and at what point it begins to deteriorate.
I still think these are magnificent cars, and for the price I paid, exceptional value 🙂
I suppose 29p/unit isn't too bad although 20% VAT doesn't help. Granny is charging me about 11p/unit for economy 7 rates which includes 5% VAT. Which ever way you look at it, it's cheap motoring!! Like you, I love this car too. I hope I'll still be saying the same the day after the warranty runs out :)

Hiya, yeah, I got Sparky Norman back last Wednesday... I posted up the repair ticket on the other thread, but basically sprocket had come off t'treddle, and the thrutching cone was muntered... err.. I think. No, it was a relay, a cable and a BCM update. All very odd, but there yer go. It seems fine now, charging off the granny, and we've put about 150 miles on it since. I'm taking it to have the windows tinted on Friday, so I'm going to try a rapid charger as well, just to make sure everything is good....
That's good news. I'll check out the other thread for the details but as long as your underhead crapshaft is still in one piece it seems like you're good to go. My car is like a furnace in this exceptional weather. You could brand yourself on the door handles if they had an MG decal on them, thereby pledging full allegiance to the Chinese regime. I'm not a fan of tinted windows but I may have to relent.

View attachment 4123
Close...but no cigar.

This is again my wife's commute, plus a number of very short journeys over the weekend. Unfortunately I think the hot weather and more traffic has had a worse effect on town driving, so more air con needed to cool the batteries (less airflow from driving) and also cooling the driver. This was for last week and the Friday journey home was only 3.9Miles/kWh for the 8.5miles and this week is about the same ie not so good.
Only fails on two counts, JohnnyRed; the miles/kWhr and the distance:).
But seriously though, it's almost close enough to entitle you to go out and buy a cigar. Unfortunately you'd have to let your wife smoke it though since she clearly put most of the work in:)

I suppose 29p/unit isn't too bad although 20% VAT doesn't help. Granny is charging me about 11p/unit for economy 7 rates which includes 5% VAT. Which ever way you look at it, it's cheap motoring!! Like you, I love this car too. I hope I'll still be saying the same the day after the warranty runs out :)
I didn't notice the VAT 😡
Ripped off at every turn! I signed up for Octopus Energy for the GO tariff, they installed a smart meter and after 6 weeks they were still trying to convince me that they were doing their best to connect to it, meanwhile I've been paying 18p per unit!
So I've changed to PFP Energy who have a 12p per unit day rate and 9p per unit night rate.
Not as good as Octopus would have been if they had been able to deliver on their promises, but still pretty decent, and no exit fees so if/when a competitive EV orientated deal comes along I can easily jump ship 🙂

I didn't notice the VAT 😡
Ripped off at every turn! I signed up for Octopus Energy for the GO tariff, they installed a smart meter and after 6 weeks they were still trying to convince me that they were doing their best to connect to it, meanwhile I have been paying 18p per unit!
So I've changed to PFP Energy who have a 12p per unit day rate and 9p per unit night rate.
Not as good as Octopus would have been if they had been able to deliver on their promises, but still pretty decent, and no exit fees so if/when a competitive EV orientated deal comes along I can easily jump ship 🙂
No it hasn't really been publicised a lot but it's obviously the way the government is managing to grab back some taxation from EV users, as fossil fuel tax revenues diminish. Even if the government found a way of taxing home chargers at 20% (rather than the current domestic electricity VAT rate of 5%) the revenue from EV users will only ever be a drop in the ocean relative to the tax they are getting from fossil fuels. Partly because the total levy on petrol and diesel is well over 50% and partly because the cost per mile of running an EV is a fraction of the cost per mile of fossil fuel vehicles (hence overall a much smaller percentage of a much smaller number). Anyway that's their problem and I'm sure they come up with some devious scheme to redress the balance! At the moment EV driving is so cheap it doesn't really matter where you get your electricity does it?

Having said that, I'm currently with Shell Energy and their unit prices are 10.1p (7hr off peak) and 15.5p standard rate. So, as my current contract is conveniently coming up for renewal I think I'll be looking into PFP energy. I don't think they are a USwitch "member" as I couldn't find a cheaper tariff on USwitch when I tried it the other day. Many thanks for the tip!(y). I remember when off-peak used to be about 3p/unit!!!

My trip to South Wales for a wedding last week
Started off 100% charged N2 mode 213 on the GomC5A360D0-A160-4C88-BAB7-163478EFBD50.jpeg

Travelling trough mid wales on the A483 stopped at Newport for a coffee and a WC having covered 92.2 miles still 63% left =136 miles in E1 so while having coffee and breakfast in Tesco car plug in on a 7kw charger it was free at Tesco

returning back to car after 1 hour it’s now showing 68% 150miles N2 54D14C05-9829-453E-917B-8924DA894FCC.jpeg
So restarted our drive along more very winding roads with some sharp bends we next stopped at Penycae at the head of the Swansea valley to visit the castle where we where going to return to for a few nights over the weekend for the wedding we have now covered 160.2 miles still got 42% battery left and a 100 miles of range Very pleased
0481DA0F-6DB7-4738-8E1D-FDF3D09268CB.jpeg
Picture of the castle Craig-y-No’s my cars parked on the left
71BECA62-F485-413A-B209-E5E5B330BC1D.jpeg
So on we go down to Swansea and at a McDonald’s there is an instavolt charge point so charge and coffee is in order ho and a burger as well so on arrival there the car has now done 178miles 38% remaining and 90 miles in E1on the Gom
4A16EB00-CA6B-4366-91FD-1C1192FC018A.jpeg
35 minute charge takes it to 80% so unplug and continued to our friends home in Gorseinon when we arrive we have done 187miles and averaged 4.8 mpkh not bad considering only around 40 miles had been on motorways and the rest had been on A&B roads which where very winding in parts so for quite a good amount of the trip I had used N2 which gives better feel to the steering and with the A/C on most of the way as well car not used much for the rest of the week as my mate did most of the running us about.

Yesterday on the homeward run started with a full charge car being on charge over night on the grany it was a very hot day 31-32 degrees the aircon going flat out all the way and coming up more or less the same route back but with a call in Warrington to see the wife’s brother we did 190.4 miles and got 4.6mpkh still had 28% and 67miles left and note the time and temperature 8:20pm 28 degrees still car never missed a beat was full to the brim with luggage both boot and back seat and it was a very enjoyable journey got home feeling just fine drove both ways as normal no free wheeling or anything like that so I feel 250 miles would be easy on better roads and maybe not having to use the aircon as much as we did it was a very hot day but maybe that helped
9B636416-4CE4-4537-948A-99F5EA909120.jpeg
So 414 miles cost Tesco charge free, instavolt charge,free grany charge around 15 - 17 kw so total cost Zero yes Zero find me an Ice vehicle that can do that love my MG and will love it more when the brake squealing gets fixed. Yes still doing it back to the dealers on Monday for another go at a fix but that’s a different thread.
Les

Last edited:
My trip to South Wales for a wedding last week
Started off 100% charged N2 mode 213 on the GomView attachment 4141

Travelling trough mid wales on the A483 stopped at Newport for a coffee and a WC having covered 92.2 miles still 63% left =136 miles in E1 so while having coffee and breakfast in Tesco car plug in on a 7kw charger it was free at Tesco

returning back to car after 1 hour it’s now showing 68% 150miles N2 View attachment 4142
So restarted our drive along more very winding roads with some sharp bends we next stopped at Penycae at the head of the Swansea valley to visit the castle where we where going to return to for a few nights over the weekend for the wedding we have now covered 160.2 miles still got 42% battery left and a 100 miles of range Very pleased
View attachment 4143
Picture of the castle Craig-y-No’s my cars parked on the left
View attachment 4144
So on we go down to Swansea and at a McDonald’s there is an instavolt charge point so charge and coffee is in order ho and a burger as well so on arrival there the car has now done 178miles 38% remaining and 90 miles in E1on the Gom
View attachment 4148
35 minute charge takes it to 80% so unplug and continued to our friends home in Gorseinon when we arrive we have done 187miles and averaged 4.8 mpkh not bad considering only around 40 miles had been on motorways and the rest had been on A&B roads which where very winding in parts so for quite a good amount of the trip I had used N2 which gives better feel to the steering and with the A/C on most of the way as well car not used much for the rest of the week as my mate did most of the running us about.

Yesterday on the homeward run started with a full charge car being on charge over night on the grany it was a very hot day 31-32 degrees the aircon going flat out all the way and coming up more or less the same route back but with a call in Warrington to see the wife’s brother we did 190.4 miles and got 4.6mpkh still had 28% and 67miles left and note the time and temperature 8:20pm 28 degrees still car never missed a beat was full to the brim with luggage both boot and back seat and it was a very enjoyable journey got home feeling just fine drove both ways as normal no free wheeling or anything like that so I feel 250 miles would be easy on better roads and maybe not having to use the aircon as much as we did it was a very hot day but maybe that helped
View attachment 4149
So 414 miles cost Tesco charge free, instavolt charge,free grany charge around 15 - 17 kw so total cost Zero yes Zero find me an Ice vehicle that can do that love my MG and will love it more when the brake squealing gets fixed. Yes still doing it back to the dealers on Monday for another go at a fix but that’s a different thread.
Les
That's a good demonstration of what can be done, Les. Well done. I still haven't done a rapid charge yet!! :)

View attachment 4086
Here you are Les, my overall rate, 4.2, so a little less than yours. It was a very cold winter in Derbyshire, so the rate was stubbornly in the lower 3s until March, then picked up nicely as the temperature rose.

We actually got to the Barrel too late for the food, they stopped serving at 2, so just a smallish bowl of peanuts! Will definitely go back, though, the view is fantastic

Hi valiant5 thank you for the picture and sorry for the slow reply been away for about a week and where we went had a very poor internet plus only had my phone with me anyhow it interesting has we have very similar miles and overall speed on our cars so good and reassuring to see both cars appear to be doing the same kind of mpkh so shall we come back on this again in a few more months has for me this screen gives a far Better accountof what the car is giving in mpkh than the other screen the currant journey one that is plus it does not clear itself after an hour or so hear mine today I’m going to have a ride to that Barrel inn at some point looks very nice indeed thanks again
Les
C774620F-22E7-44D0-8BF7-D5D6CBD207F8.jpeg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom