• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Miles/kWh

View attachment 4086
Here you are Les, my overall rate, 4.2, so a little less than yours. It was a very cold winter in Derbyshire, so the rate was stubbornly in the lower 3s until March, then picked up nicely as the temperature rose.

We actually got to the Barrel too late for the food, they stopped serving at 2, so just a smallish bowl of peanuts! Will definitely go back, though, the view is fantastic
So, we could do a 'lowest' m/kwh trial in Jan?!

No, I toggle between D and N throughout and use KERS 1 2 & 3 to regulate my deceleration depending on road conditions.
ECO mode all the way but at 70 on cruise control the power mode makes no difference anyway, ECO just mutes acceleration spikes and therefore uses less amps.
Absolutely over the moon with this car, nearly 6000 miles in, never ceases to amaze me 🙂
Got to Skegness after 221 miles with a handful left!
And they say you can't get over 200miles out of an MG5. Great figures 👍

Drove up to Hawes, Yorkshire Dales, a week ago, so M1, A1M, then country roads. 125 miles from 50 per cent exactly. Little bit of aircon, 60/65 on the motorways

Don't think this qualifies for the genuine 100 miles at 5 m/kwh but not far off!
Halfway percentage on our 220 mile Carlisle to Skegness trip, which meant we didn't have to stop for a boost en route 😁
No you're right Johnny 5, it doesn't qualify, but it's damned close. Well done. This is the current target to beat, folks. (Remember, less than 100miles doesn't qualify!!).

Have you ever accidentally turned the "gearknob" the wrong way after coasting or overshot the neutral when putting it into N from D. I have been thinking of trying coasting but I'm worried about wrecking something expensive.

If only they'd made the rear wheels larger diameter than the front ones, you could be going downhill all the time. How good would that be!

No you're right Johnny 5, it doesn't qualify, but it's damned close. Well done. This is the current target to beat, folks. (Remember, less than 100miles doesn't qualify!!).

Have you ever accidentally turned the "gearknob" the wrong way after coasting or overshot the neutral when putting it into N from D. I have been thinking of trying coasting but I'm worried about wrecking something expensive.
Come to think of it, no - it became second nature after a few drives so I don't even think about it.
I once found myself still in neutral at some roadwork traffic lights and nothing happened when I pressed the accelerator when the lights turned green, but we're all entitled to the odd blonde moment every now and then!
I can imagine those behind me cursing these "new fangled" electric cars 😆

Just a footnote to the Skegness trip - despite the good range achieved, the journey was done with the A/C on THE WHOLE TIME i.e. 5 hours, as it was 25 degrees in the blazing sun the whole way.
I've read ludicrous reports (obviously from non EV owners) that A/C can reduce range by up to 20%, but have never been convinced that the MG5 system is very power demanding, and this would appear to settle the argument 🙂

Just a footnote to the Skegness trip - despite the good range achieved, the journey was done with the A/C on THE WHOLE TIME i.e. 5 hours, as it was 25 degrees in the blazing sun the whole way.
I've read ludicrous reports (obviously from non EV owners) that A/C can reduce range by up to 20%, but have never been convinced that the MG5 system is very power demanding, and this would appear to settle the argument 🙂
Yes I would concur with this. I tend to use the air-con sparingly, specifically when the missus (sitting besides me) threatens to call the police citing domestic abuse. :)

I always check the (GOM+actual) mileage and miles/kWhr meter before and after using the aircon and neither seems to deviate a great deal. Unless I dreamed it, I think I read somewhere that they have come up with a new air-con gas that is hugely more efficient than existing ones. Hope it wasn't a dream as it does seem rather unlikely!

Yes I would concur with this. I tend to use the air-con sparingly, specifically when the missus (sitting besides me) threatens to call the police citing domestic abuse. :)

I always check the (GOM+actual) mileage and miles/kWhr meter before and after using the aircon and neither seems to deviate a great deal. Unless I dreamed it, I think I read somewhere that they have come up with a new air-con gas that is hugely more efficient than existing ones. Hope it wasn't a dream as it does seem rather unlikely!
Just take the phone off her! Issue solved.

That’s a short journey- bet you can’t average that for much longer.
I find that I need at least 20 miles for it to tick up over 5, even though it's clearly achieving that when you extrapolate the miles covered for the percentage of the battery used. The software is clearly questionable.

I find that I need at least 20 miles for it to tick up over 5, even though it's clearly achieving that when you extrapolate the miles covered for the percentage of the battery used. The software is clearly questionable.
Yes I agree that the figure starts off low and goes up for a number of miles (is that what you meant by Baysian?). Hard to imagine why that would be.

Pity, otherwise you could keep resetting the "current" journey figures as you go along and use it more or less as an instantaneous fuel consumption meter. I used to do that with fuel computers in ICE cars when there was no instantaneous fuel consumption meter.

My last journey, 40 miles.
IMG_20210719_105427.jpg

I couldn't replicate the figures on the way home as there had been a fatal accident on the A16, massive queues and a lengthy diversion, and after all this four hungry occupants!
So we pulled in the The Green Tree Inn near Doncaster for a fabulous bar meal while the MG5 enjoyed its first CCS charge at the BP Pulse unit situated there.
Quick question - it never went above 16kw/h charge rate; is this correct? The Kia e-Niro next to me was charging at 20kw/h which still doesn't seem very high.
Don't get me wrong, it raised my charge level from 58% to 88% in the 25 mins it was connected, but for some reason I was expecting more.
Maybe I'm just impatient? 😄

I couldn't replicate the figures on the way home as there had been a fatal accident on the A16, massive queues and a lengthy diversion, and after all this four hungry occupants!
So we pulled in the The Green Tree Inn near Doncaster for a fabulous bar meal while the MG5 enjoyed its first CCS charge at the BP Pulse unit situated there.
Quick question - it never went above 16kw/h charge rate; is this correct? The Kia e-Niro next to me was charging at 20kw/h which still doesn't seem very high.
Don't get me wrong, it raised my charge level from 58% to 88% in the 25 mins it was connected, but for some reason I was expecting more.
Maybe I'm just impatient? 😄
Hi @Johnny 5 is alive ,
If your battery pack was very hot from the driving, the hot weather etc.. then the car would want to moderate the charge current to keep the battery pack temperature under check. I know we have a liquid cooled pack but the ambient temperature has been very high recently.

Hi @Johnny 5 is alive ,
If your battery pack was very hot from the driving, the hot weather etc.. then the car would want to moderate the charge current to keep the battery pack temperature under check. I know we have a liquid cooled pack but the ambient temperature has been very high recently.
Ah right - so what charge rate should it be capable of receiving under cooler conditions?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom