Miles/kWh

When I was using a rapid charger on my ZS yesterday the battery % was displayed for a short while on the screen.

It got me thinking that the current 8 bars is rather useless. Now that the battery button is redundant I would hope that a future update could show the battery % when the battery button is toggled.

With a little practice it is possible to ‘feather’ the accelerator when backing off and manage the regen - rather than fully off and max regen in setting 3 for example. I agree the defaults restored each journey is irritating.
I agree, I have covered 12,500 miles in my ZS EV in 18 months and used the default mode for 99.9% of the time.
After a while you are able to control the level of Regen with your right foot.
After mastering the technique, you are pretty much identical to Eco mode.

I agree, I have covered 12,500 miles in my ZS EV in 18 months and used the default mode for 99.9% of the time.
After a while you are able to control the level of Regen with your right foot.
After mastering the technique, you are pretty much identical to Eco mode.
I almost always select KERS3 in my MG5 as I'm convinced it provides the best consumption/range. As you say, it's a matter of developing the technique of feathering the accelerator and most importantly, having a very observational and anticipatory approach so that you have plenty of time to react so that you don't have to suddenly take your right foot off the pedal.

That does seem weird... Admittedly it's early days, and we've only done 135 miles since pick up on Tuesday, but so far the accumulated average is still 4.4. The worst we've seen on a trip is 3.2, which was today on the more uphill return journey in torrential rain with wipers and A/C on.... All journeys are normal mode, KERS2
Yeah I think there's a fault with mine. It never goes above 3.5 but I got 170 miles out if it recently so the maths doesn't add up.

My wife is having hers delivered next Monday so I'll compare them dude by side when we can

Yeah I think there's a fault with mine. It never goes above 3.5 but I got 170 miles out if it recently so the maths doesn't add up.

My wife is having hers delivered next Monday so I'll compare them dude by side when we can
Sounds about right, the 48.8kWh usable battery capacity, would be 170.8 miles.

Best miles/kWh so far. Nice warm weather. Mixed motorway and A roads. AC off.

Attachments

• IMG_20210708_180359.jpg
    IMG_20210708_180359.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 133
Incredible. My wife also has an mg5 and she's been getting over 4. I still can't get over 3.5! We're going to do an identical drive to check the difference in consumption 😬
I'm sure driving style will be a factor as well as KERS settings. Either way you won't get much over 4, maybe 4.5miles/kWhr - it's just not possible due to the laws of physics. Over a short journey and starting from the top of a long downhill stretch the results will be distorted. My challenge still remains to achieve over 5.0miles/kWhr over a 100mile minimum accumulated trip mileage. Let's see who is the first to do it over this distance. Personally I think it is close to impossible.

I'm sure driving style will be a factor as well as KERS settings. Either way you won't get much over 4, maybe 4.5miles/kWhr - it's just not possible due to the laws of physics. Over a short journey and starting from the top of a long downhill stretch the results will be distorted. My challenge still remains to achieve over 5.0miles/kWhr over a 100mile minimum accumulated trip mileage. Let's see who is the first to do it over this distance. Personally I think it is close to impossible.
I have to agree Adele on short journeys it can be done with some care full driving and I have hit 5 a few times but that is mainly when going around 20-30 mph in traffic once out of that 4-4.5 is about the average and on motorway or open roads at 60-70 mph so over a distance things are a little bit different, 4.2 is about my best average over 220 mile trip twice there are lots and lots of variables temp rain day or night time plus how you drive the car lots and lots most of which you have little control of
So 3160miles I’ve done now in my MG5 car shows 4.4 which I think is dead right when it first came out 214 -276 was the claim well you might see the later in city traffic all day & night but I very much doubt it.
Going down hills can improve matters but you need to go UP to come down usually so it’s swings and roundabouts burn it going up regen it coming down so lm am happy with 4.4 over 3160 miles in my first 3 months of driving an EV
Les

Attachments

• 270934BC-73E7-4C4F-A7B5-BCEFF2BEC5F0.jpeg
    270934BC-73E7-4C4F-A7B5-BCEFF2BEC5F0.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
A true and more actuate figure is seen when the trips are taken over a longer distance ( say 100 - 150 miles+ ) and has also been taken over a week, on different types of roads and in different types of weather conditions etc.
Achieving 6.0 m/kwh on a single trip, in good weather conditions, with no heat or A/C running and an average speed of lest than 20 mph on a "A" road with a long down hill section thrown in for good measure, is to be co-mended, but could be matched by other drivers given the same circumstances.
These type of figures, can only be reproduced on a regular basis, if you do the same trip, at the same time & the same speed and in very similar weather conditions.
Alter any one of these factors and the results will change, a LOT !.
A real world figure spread over a few months at least, is a better indication of the cars efficiency.
Far too many different factors that can change these results on almost a daily basis.
Strange, have you noticed how when a lot of folks move across from a ICE to an EV, they are suddenly trying to achieve better better returns from their cars !.
Their diving style has completely re-adjusted.
Hey ...... It's no bad thing, ask me how I know 🤣.
The drive in an EV is so relaxed, it just feels less frantic & less stressful ????? 🥴.

I have to agree Adele on short journeys it can be done with some care full driving and I have hit 5 a few times but that is mainly when going around 20-30 mph in traffic once out of that 4-4.5 is about the average and on motorway or open roads at 60-70 mph so over a distance things are a little bit different, 4.2 is about my best average over 220 mile trip twice there are lots and lots of variables temp rain day or night time plus how you drive the car lots and lots most of which you have little control off
So 3160miles I’ve done now in my MG5 car shows 4.4 which I think is dead right when it first came out 214 -276 was the claim well you might see the later in city traffic all day & night but I very much doubt it.
I can see that you haven't reset your accumulated trip counter since you bought the car, Les, and you have achieved 4.4miles/kWhr averaged over 3000+miles. That is a pretty good result in my book and suggests that the manufacturers quoted range is not optimistic but easily achievable! Unfortunately I reset my accumulated trip counter every time I "fill up" so I can't provide an equivalent figure over long distances.
Going down hills can improve matters but you need to go UP to come down usually so it’s swings and roundabouts burn it going up regen it coming down so lm am happy with 4.4 over 3160 miles in my first 3 months of driving an EV
Les
Yes that's right, what goes up must come down. That is why I set my challenge of trying to achieve over 5miles/kWhr over a decent range of 100+ miles so that the result is more or less independent of the effect of gravity. So I think we can use your result as the starting point of the challenge having evidenced 4.4miles/kWhr over 3160miles!! So far you're the winner.

A true and more actuate figure is seen when the trips are taken over a longer distance ( say 100 - 150 miles+ ) and has also been taken over a week, on different types of roads and in different types of weather conditions etc.
Achieving 6.0 m/kwh on a single trip, in good weather conditions, with no heat or A/C running and an average speed of lest than 20 mph on a "A" road with a long down hill section thrown in for good measure, is to be co-mended, but could be matched by other drivers given the same circumstances.
These type of figures, can only be reproduced on a regular basis, if you do the same trip, at the same time & the same speed and in very similar weather conditions.
Alter any one of these factors and the results will change, a LOT !.
A real world figure spread over a few months at least, is a better indication of the cars efficiency.
Far too many different factors that can change these results on almost a daily basis.
Strange, have you noticed how when a lot of folks move across from a ICE to an EV, they are suddenly trying to achieve better better returns from their cars !.
Their diving style has completely re-adjusted.
Hey ...... It's no bad thing, ask me how I know 🤣.
The drive in an EV is so relaxed, it just feels less frantic & less stressful ????? 🥴.
Yes, I reckon we are all driving round like old grannies (apologies to the old grannies that might be reading this) with the display set to miles/kWhr, instead of MPH :)
As you say, such a smooth ride, no irritating acceleration blip between gear changes. No need to drive with one hand on the gear knob waiting for the overtake :)
I have been wondering whether to leave the car running on axle stands overnight to see what the consumption is then :) . With no load it would be in the hundreds at least if not thousands.

I have to agree Adele on short journeys it can be done with some care full driving and I have hit 5 a few times but that is mainly when going around 20-30 mph in traffic once out of that 4-4.5 is about the average and on motorway or open roads at 60-70 mph so over a distance things are a little bit different, 4.2 is about my best average over 220 mile trip twice there are lots and lots of variables temp rain day or night time plus how you drive the car lots and lots most of which you have little control off
Les
That's a great figure over 3k.
I am on 4k but only just got to 4.1m/kwh.
My average speed is a bit higher so that may have something to do with it.
I will reset once the good weather is over and see what I average over 6 winter months.

Attachments

• IMG_20210708_155555.jpg
    IMG_20210708_155555.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 112
Another downhill ride! Home from a pub meal out in the Peak District. Nearly made 7miles/kWh! Total descent around 700 ft. I do realise this isn't possible in Norfolk or much of the south-east!
IMG_20210701_213508311.jpg

I can see that you haven't reset your accumulated trip counter since you bought the car, Les, and you have achieved 4.4miles/kWhr averaged over 3000+miles. That is a pretty good result in my book and suggests that the manufacturers quoted range is not optimistic but easily achievable! Unfortunately I reset my accumulated trip counter every time I "fill up" so I can't provide an equivalent figure over long distances.

Yes that's right, what goes up must come down. That is why I set my challenge of trying to achieve over 5miles/kWhr over a decent range of 100+ miles so that the result is more or less independent of the effect of gravity. So I think we can use your result as the starting point of the challenge having evidenced 4.4miles/kWhr over 3160miles!! So far you're the winner.
Hi again Adee no I don't ever reset the Accumulated counter and the other one currant journey one drives my mad as when you stop for only a short time it zeros itself wished I could stop that happening as it’s only on for around 30-60 minutes when you take a break it’s the Accumulated one which is the one that matters for a true account of what miles per KWh you are really getting from the car as you said before I think I will reset the Accumulated counter on the cars birthday and each birthday thereafter
Les

Another downhill ride! Home from a pub meal out in the Peak District. Nearly made 7miles/kWh! Total descent around 700 ft. I do realise this isn't possible in Norfolk or much of the south-east!
View attachment 3976
Hi valiant great figures over a short distance now the other counter the accumulated journey one, have you ever reset that if not can you post a picture of it as you have a very similar mileage on your car as I have on mine so would be interesting to compare mines on 3160 miles at 4.4 mpkh

So just short of 7 mpkh you say, dead easy fix that one find a pub a bit further up the hill. LOL
Les

View attachment 3976
Pretty good. For anyone anal enough to be interested ( :) ) a decent of 700ft buys you about 3100kJ of energy which is equivalent to 0.9kWhrs (approx). Your trip of 17miles used an apparent 17.4/6.9kWhrs or 2.5kWhrs. But it would have used 2.5 + 0.9 = 3.4kWhrs if you hadn't had the benefit of 700ft of decent, which equates to a corrected figure of 17.4/3.4m/kWhr = 5.1m/kWhr. Still a good figure but the calcs are only indicative, really.

Sorry no pic of the dashboard, but I've been keeping an eye on my wife's commute to work as it is always the same, 85miles a week so the only variables are the weather, use of heating A/C etc and traffic; town driving occasional 40mph, mostly 30mph. I charge once a week.
This week was the best yet (charged to 100% last weekend to do a balance charge) and it shows 70% left. That would give 5.66kWhr for 'normal' driving, so roughly 280 miles of range.

Pretty good. For anyone anal enough to be interested ( :) ) a decent of 700ft buys you about 3100kJ of energy which is equivalent to 0.9kWhrs (approx). Your trip of 17miles used an apparent 17.4/6.9kWhrs or 2.5kWhrs. But it would have used 2.5 + 0.9 = 3.4kWhrs if you hadn't had the benefit of 700ft of decent, which equates to a corrected figure of 17.4/3.4m/kWhr = 5.1m/kWhr. Still a good figure but the calcs are only indicative, really.
I don't think you can rely on the figure the car reports. It seems to use a bayesian average to prevent wild swings in the initial stages of a journey. The only accurate method is to measure how much energy is used to return the battery voltage to the same level as it was immediately before the journey. This will of course include charging losses.

My car reports a total average of 3.8 miles per kWh over 5000 miles, but the measured energy from the meter of around 1500 kWh equates to 3.33 miles per kWh, with a little over 10% lost to heat in the charging process.

The meter to wheel consumption is in many ways more important than the battery to wheel figure; although the latter is more relevant for calculating range, the former shows actual cost and emissions per mile.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom