Miles/kWh

And not good for the paintwork. 😉
That’s very true also funny you should say that I washed my car yesterday after doing my first drive of any real distance over a week ago now and what did I find my first stone chip in the bonnet so it’s down to the dealers tomorrow to get some touch paint £18.99 no less and I have not been tailgating most annoying 73E6434B-AC31-4CF8-9ADF-778A2B5DB1BC.jpeg9FCBD017-0BCA-49EF-952B-069452DCDA66.jpeg

That’s very true also funny you should say that I washed my car yesterday after doing my first drive of any real distance over a week ago now and what did I find my first stone chip in the bonnet so it’s down to the dealers tomorrow to get some touch paint £18.99 no less and I have not been tailgating most annoying View attachment 3402View attachment 3403
I paid £17.50 at the dealers and was very disappointed that it was the old fashioned brush type kit and not the pen or needle type. My stone chip (from a passing lorry 😠) was less than the size of a pin head, a lot of messing about with a nail varnish sized brush. Was ok for the door ding where I opened the door on to hand rail in a car park though, perfect colour match.

I paid £17.50 at the dealers and was very disappointed that it was the old fashioned brush type kit and not the pen or needle type. My stone chip (from a passing lorry 😠) was less than the size of a pin head, a lot of messing about with a nail varnish sized brush. Was ok for the door ding where I opened the door on to hand rail in a car park though, perfect colour match.
Well if the colour match is good I suppose that’s half the battle I have no idea where mine came from when I looked today touch up paint was 18.99 from mg dealers when I first got the car I asked about touch up paint they said then it was 16.99 but had none in stock 5 weeks later it’s 18.99 I’m sure paint has not increased by that much in B&Q in 5 weeks

Last edited:
Had our first experience of CYC / Chargeplace Scotland today, have to admit it took a bit of getting our head round at first but we finally got there 😁
At first the machine displayed a 1 hour countdown timer and we wondered if we only got an hour (= 7kw/h) for our £1 connection charge, but 3 hours later it was still going strong so I imagine if we had left it on long enough it would have fully charged.
I can imagine new EV owners could struggle with it though, it's not exactly straightforward and ringing CYC (which I did at one point) was a total waste of time 😡
So many different charging points, apps, HFID cards etc, absolute minefield!

Hi all, I've had my MG 5 since late February, (have been using this site to give me tips, but have only just registered). In a normal week my wife's commute is 85miles a week, mostly town driving. So far at worst, in February (with ice on the windscreen) this was using 50% of battery; so 3.5miles/kWh and at best so far 35%; nearly 5miles/kWh.
This week we did our first big test of the five by driving from South East London to Crickhowell in Wales to visit family with two adults and two kids and stuff in the car, driving up Monday and returning Tuesday. When I get around to it I will give my thoughts on rapid charging elsewhere, (before the trip I had only used a rapid charger once which went well. We charged 4 times over two days, not all went so well), but attached are the overall figures which I was really happy with considering a lot of motorway driving at 60 to occasionally 70, it probably helped that the M4 had sections of variable speed limits while they turn it into a 'smart' motorway, but also quite a lot of single track country driving up and down hills and quite a bit of crawling traffic, including into London on Tuesday night.
I have to say the five performed brilliantly, we probably spent nearly 14 hours in the car and it was very comfortable and really easy and relaxing to drive, whatever the type of road it was driven on.
Wales_Trip.jpg

Welcome Jonny, pleased to hear you are enjoying your 5. More evidence, from you, that the car is capable of the 218 miles MG is claiming for it. I had similar figures going down to London from Derbyshire and back Sunday/Monday.

And yesterday, heading back from a walk in the Peak District, another rate of 6.3 miles per kWh for the return trip, admittedly with a drop overall of about 450ft.

Attachments

• IMG_20210602_154205140.jpg
    IMG_20210602_154205140.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 137
Hi all, I've had my MG 5 since late February, (have been using this site to give me tips, but have only just registered). In a normal week my wife's commute is 85miles a week, mostly town driving. So far at worst, in February (with ice on the windscreen) this was using 50% of battery; so 3.5miles/kWh and at best so far 35%; nearly 5miles/kWh.
This week we did our first big test of the five by driving from South East London to Crickhowell in Wales to visit family with two adults and two kids and stuff in the car, driving up Monday and returning Tuesday. When I get around to it I will give my thoughts on rapid charging elsewhere, (before the trip I had only used a rapid charger once which went well. We charged 4 times over two days, not all went so well), but attached are the overall figures which I was really happy with considering a lot of motorway driving at 60 to occasionally 70, it probably helped that the M4 had sections of variable speed limits while they turn it into a 'smart' motorway, but also quite a lot of single track country driving up and down hills and quite a bit of crawling traffic, including into London on Tuesday night.
I have to say the five performed brilliantly, we probably spent nearly 14 hours in the car and it was very comfortable and really easy and relaxing to drive, whatever the type of road it was driven on.
View attachment 3438
Good to hear the positivity 😀

This is my journey today in eco with kers 3. I've never driven so gently in my life
That does seem weird... Admittedly it's early days, and we've only done 135 miles since pick up on Tuesday, but so far the accumulated average is still 4.4. The worst we've seen on a trip is 3.2, which was today on the more uphill return journey in torrential rain with wipers and A/C on.... All journeys are normal mode, KERS2

Just passed the 3,000 miles mark today, overall 4.1 miles/kWh in almost exactly six months. Considering it's been generally a cool year so far, that's not bad. Mostly local stuff, a few 35 milers across the Peak District and probably fewer than 500 motorway miles.

I don't think it is technically possible to achieve an average of much over 5 due to the limitations of physics and I would challenge anyone to achieve and demonstrate a reading higher than this over a 100mile journey (the challenge is on :), folks). It's pointless doing a 10-20mile decline and showing the result afterwards as it merely demonstrates that gradients have a hugely significant impact on the consumption. Between 4 and 4.5 is pretty respectable, equating to a range of around 200-225 miles on a full charge.

I don't think it is technically possible to achieve an average of much over 5 due to the limitations of physics and I would challenge anyone to achieve and demonstrate a reading higher than this over a 100mile journey (the challenge is on :), folks). It's pointless doing a 10-20mile decline and showing the result afterwards as it merely demonstrates that gradients have a hugely significant impact on the consumption. Between 4 and 4.5 is pretty respectable, equating to a range of around 200-225 miles on a full charge.
You would need a very early Sunday morning, A roads only, light or no traffic scenario.
I actually achieved 94 mpg in my Prius in this situation once (trip reading usually about 5% out).
I was actually wondering about the accuracy of the m/kWh gauge, on ICE cars I've had, the mpg trip was always around 5% inaccurate compared to measuring brim to brim fuel tank fills against miles done, is the m/kWh gauge accurate ?

You would need a very early Sunday morning, A roads only, light or no traffic scenario.
I actually achieved 94 mpg in my Prius in this situation once (trip reading usually about 5% out).
I was actually wondering about the accuracy of the m/kWh gauge, on ICE cars I've had, the mpg trip was always around 5% inaccurate compared to measuring brim to brim fuel tank fills against miles done, is the m/kWh gauge accurate ?
I agree that the accuracy of the meter is subject to debate. Like you, my experience is that the trip/fuel computers in ICE cars have become pretty accurate over the years even when coasting a lot, which I always did (credit where it's due to the designers!!). I don't think it's possible to ascertain the accuracy of the m/kWhr meter in an electric car. You can measure the miles obviously but you can't know or measure the kWhrs used. The MG5 range is rated at an impressive 270+miles for urban driving (which suggests that very low average speeds might get your meter reading as high as 5.5miles/kWhr). It'll be interesting to see if anyone can demonstrate over 5.0m/kWhr for a 100mile trip (even if the meter isn't wholly accurate!).

I think I mentioned before my wife does an 85mile weekly commute of mainly town driving, in February she was using up to 50% a week when the windscreen needed deicing and this week managed the best yet of just 34% which roughly equates to 5miles/kWhr, but has been consistently around the 35-39% mark over the last couple of months. So giving a range of 220 to 250miles. This is all whilst driving 'normally' that is not trying hard to be efficient, but probably using ECO and kers 2 most of the time.

I agree that the accuracy of the meter is subject to debate. Like you, my experience is that the trip/fuel computers in ICE cars have become pretty accurate over the years even when coasting a lot, which I always did (credit where it's due to the designers!!). I don't think it's possible to ascertain the accuracy of the m/kWhr meter in an electric car. You can measure the miles obviously but you can't know or measure the kWhrs used. The MG5 range is rated at an impressive 270+miles for urban driving (which suggests that very low average speeds might get your meter reading as high as 5.5miles/kWhr). It'll be interesting to see if anyone can demonstrate over 5.0m/kWhr for a 100mile trip (even if the meter isn't wholly accurate!).
It ought to be incredibly accurate, the car should be able to calculate the energy it has used far more closely than an Ice could, the error in mileage is likely to be more significant than the kWh.

I don’t run a 5 but in my ZS during summer around 4.5mpk is not too difficult to achieve over 100+ miles. I’ve also got 6.2mpk on very short trips. I would expect the 5 not being such a brick to achieve 5mpk without too much effort taking a journey on a nice warm day. 😎

Attachments

• D2981DA5-9D57-42A3-BE10-731056BAB68D.jpeg
    D2981DA5-9D57-42A3-BE10-731056BAB68D.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 123
  • CB81A177-E0A9-4F0A-8CA8-4FA3A98E8C4D.jpeg
    CB81A177-E0A9-4F0A-8CA8-4FA3A98E8C4D.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 116
I don’t run a 5 but in my ZS during summer around 4.5mpk is not too difficult to achieve over 100+ miles. I’ve also got 6.2mpk on very short trips. I would expect the 5 not being such a brick to achieve 5mpk without too much effort taking a journey on a nice warm day. 😎
Great results - let's see who is first to evidence >5m/kWhr on a 100mile journey.

It ought to be incredibly accurate, the car should be able to calculate the energy it has used far more closely than an Ice could, the error in mileage is likely to be more significant than the kWh.
Yes that's a fair point. If the current output (and voltage) of the HV battery is being monitored constantly and integrated, that would cover the entire energy consumption of the vehicle including inefficiencies due to heat and all the ancillaries.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom