Miles/kWh

I've been doing regular trips to Heysham from Carlisle for Hyperbaric treatment and find my 5 to use disproportionately more at 70 on cruise control than at 60.
Its exactly 140 miles round trip; at 60 I get home with 30-odd percent remaining, at 70 it's less than 20. If I was trying to do a 200-mile round trip predominantly at 70 I think I would be looking to give it a quick squirt somewhere for safekeeping, even a 10% buffer.
Let's know how you get on! I guess if you arrive with less than 50% remaining, that will make the charging decision for you 🙂

1622311117242.jpeg
Got this in the Scottish Highlands Glenshee downhill section!

@Fireman frog Try KERS 1. This setting doesn't regen as much as KERS 3 but the Electrical Energy round trip from the battery via Inverter (DC/AC converter) and Motor into motion (Kinetic Energy) the recovered from your car's motion (Kinetic Energy) via the motor/generator AC/DC conversation into recovered Electrical Energy is far from 100% efficient. It's more likely to be 60% at best so you have losses of around 40%.
However, taking the energy just once from the batteries Electrical Energy store and via Inverter and Motor into your vehicle motion and covering distance on the road is much more efficient. Invertor losses are about 2-3% and motor loss I once saw quoted at about 8%-10%.
So lifting off and coasting as F1 drivers do when fuel is low and old school Hyper milers would do may surprise you. However, if you come to a long downhill stretch and you are approaching the speed limit then nudge KERS to KERS 2 or even Kers 3.
Another point to remember is that as speed increases the aerodynamic drag increases at a faster rate. None of the MG EV offerings are as slippery as Teslas or Hyundai IONIQ which have a lower drag coefficient so higher motorway speeds, in particular, will have a greater effect on less aero-efficient MG. Even an aerodynamic slippery EV will be 20 to 25% more efficient at 60 mph than 70 mph. I have tested this real-world on the motorway during Petrol, Diesel and EV cars, SUV and people carriers and always got at least 20% better fuel economy/range at 60 mph than 70 mph.

I have the longest journey today since getting the 5 it’s exactly a 200 mile round trip, 200 was one of the main reasons I bought it. I fully intend to NOT use a charger, but will drive to the speed limit (in normal mode) where I can and use the air con on auto. One thing going for me is the temperature. The route is around 80% 70mph limit 20% other. Will it do it? What do you think?
I expect the results are in now!

I expect you just made it - but probably quite close in my opinion. Use KERS3 and aim to brake as little as possible (using KERS to slow down instead) and that will help. I have found aircon doesn't seem to make much difference to the range).

What I do is to zero the accumulated trip counter each time I fully charge. Then (in my head), I add the trip distance to the remaining miles shown by the GOM indicator. Obviously this starts at 214miles with a full charge. As the trip proceeds I usually hope to see this sum increase. It's a good indicator to see if you are on track to achieve your target mileage on a full charge. Always check the number under the same conditions otherwise it is much harder to interpret. For example always be in economy mode, KERS on 3, aircon/heating off when you are assessing your updated range calculation in this way. Then switch everything back to how you want it.

If you keep an eye on this number as you proceed it should give you a better indication on how you are doing. If it drops below the required range to complete the trip (200miles in your case), then think about slowing down, as speed has a significant impact on range and is the only variable you really have control over.

Good luck. Hope you made it :)

I have the longest journey today since getting the 5 it’s exactly a 200 mile round trip, 200 was one of the main reasons I bought it. I fully intend to NOT use a charger, but will drive to the speed limit (in normal mode) where I can and use the air con on auto. One thing going for me is the temperature. The route is around 80% 70mph limit 20% other. Will it do it? What do you think? 🤔
Right come on Stuart the suspense is interfering with my sleep for god sake what’s the results please let’s us have as its now been almost 25 hours since your posting thats around 8 mph is the traffic that bad surely not
Les

Last edited:
Right come on Stuart the suspense is interfering with my sleep for god sake what’s the results please let’s us have as its now been almost 25 hours since your posting thats around 8 mph is the traffic that bad surely not
Les
Maybe he's sitting in the cab of an RAC Recovery van as we speak after a long night :)

Gosh, that was quick, thanks. I'll try it in the morning before going anywhere. Last time I touched one of those arrow keys by mistake it went into a settings mode and I had to turn the car off and on again when I could stop in order to get the normal display back.
Just keep pressing the left/right arrows and it will return to std display

Soooooo, apologies for the delay…it’s been a bit hectic since I left yesterday. The good news is I didn’t need the AA! So here goes

Left with 100% and a hundred miles to get to my cousins in Brackley

Very delayed because of traffic at Oxford, up to the M40 and on the M40 so the MPH was less than expected, which resulted in a 4.6 mpkw/hr period with

Got to cousin’s house with 52% left

Left a few hours later with a 10 mile buffer! GOM=110
satNav = 100

Drove for appx. 50 miles with the 10 miles buffer all the way, more traffic=less MPH but HVAC working hard as it was hot (I have tints)

As I had a few soft drinks with the family (in the garden of course) I needed a comfort break just past the halfway point I came off at a retail park, and guess what…..4 x InstaVolt chargers in the car park!

In the time it took to plug in, have a wee and get a Subway coffee I returned to the car with 20 miles added

Finally, got home with 32 miles on the GOM

So, a failure as I charged on way home 🙈 but would have got home with 2 miles, a big however though, there’s no way I would have attempted getting home with a range that skinny. I also think I pushed the car as I had spare miles to stay at 70 rather than easing off.

I have to say though, this car still surprises me how comfortable and responsive it is. The car didn’t fail, I did because if I had used ECO and drove 65 max I am sure it would have been successful 🤔

Soooooo, apologies for the delay…it’s been a bit hectic since I left yesterday. The good news is I didn’t need the AA! So here goes

Left with 100% and a hundred miles to get to my cousins in Brackley

Very delayed because of traffic at Oxford, up to the M40 and on the M40 so the MPH was less than expected, which resulted in a 4.6 mpkw/hr period with

Got to cousin’s house with 52% left

Left a few hours later with a 10 mile buffer! GOM=110
satNav = 100

Drove for appx. 50 miles with the 10 miles buffer all the way, more traffic=less MPH but HVAC working hard as it was hot (I have tints)

As I had a few soft drinks with the family (in the garden of course) I needed a comfort break just past the halfway point I came off at a retail park, and guess what…..4 x InstaVolt chargers in the car park!

In the time it took to plug in, have a wee and get a Subway coffee I returned to the car with 20 miles added

Finally, got home with 32 miles on the GOM

So, a failure as I charged on way home 🙈 but would have got home with 2 miles, a big however though, there’s no way I would have attempted getting home with a range that skinny. I also think I pushed the car as I had spare miles to stay at 70 rather than easing off.

I have to say though, this car still surprises me how comfortable and responsive it is. The car didn’t fail, I did because if I had used ECO and drove 65 max I am sure it would have been successful 🤔
Thank the lord for a few things 1 AA not needed 2 Your very sensible Brain kicked in as you say running it down to 2 miles would have been very risky and 3 the seat stayed dry 4 you had a good time with no problems buy doing all the right things me Stuart I said from when I first ever saw the car 214 miles maybe but not comfortably in our real world I work around the 150/60 than it’s charge time in my book now it’s catch up on sleep time sun lounger is waiting
Pleased you had a good day
Les

Thank the lord for a few things 1 AA not needed 2 Your very sensible Brain kicked in as you say running it down to 2 miles would have been very risky and 3 the seat stayed dry 4 you had a good time with no problems buy doing all the right things me Stuart I said from when I first ever saw the car 214 miles maybe but not comfortably in our real world I work around the 150/60 than it’s charge time in my book now it’s catch up on sleep time sun lounger is waiting
Pleased you had a good day
Les
Thanks Les, your comments are appreciated 👍🏽 Enjoy the sun 😎

Drove from Derbyshire to London today to shift our youngest's worldly goods to his new place in Peckham. The 157.3 in the photo is actually 158.6 from 100 percent, including a short journey a couple of hours before we set off. So if that was from 66 per cent of battery used, safe to say that the 5 was doing about 240 miles pro rata. Mostly doing 60/65 on the M1, occasionally 70, with aircon on, then a two hour crawl through London.

So, all things considered, very pleased, just need to decide whether to top up at the Lidl in Peckham or aim for London Gateway services just on the M1, we'll see

Attachments

• IMG_20210530_173821899.jpg
    IMG_20210530_173821899.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 123
I wonder if driving slowly in wind and rain would bring the range back up - I guess it would. Next time I'll try driving down the motorway at 40-50mph and arrive in the same time without having had to stop for a charge!
As a Hgv driver I beg you to please don't do this. If anyone must drive slow on the motorway while it's clear. Set the cruise at 62mph we won't catch up with you and other vehicles can over take you still while you save a little energy.

It was a sensible option to collect some electrons on the way. As someone once said - always expect the unexpected. Just one small unplanned road closure/diversion and you'd have had to jettison some load or something equally disastrous :)

It was a sensible option to collect some electrons on the way. As someone once said - always expect the unexpected. Just one small unplanned road closure/diversion and you'd have had to jettison some load or something equally disastrous :)
I wince at some of those Scottish diversions of 75 miles you hear on the radio. As someone who owns a leaf 24 as well, I just think easy for some.

As a Hgv driver I beg you to please don't do this. If anyone must drive slow on the motorway while it's clear. Set the cruise at 62mph we won't catch up with you and other vehicles can over take you still while you save a little energy.
I could not agree more well said Ranger also tail gating HGVs down right stupid and dangerous in my book
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom