Miles/kWh

I wouldn't select N on an EV (that is what KERS 1 is for), but many ICE cars over the years had a freewheel, which effectively allowed you to run as in Neutral. Rovers had them for 30 years, as did the 2CV and SAAB 93. I use Neutral as and when it suits my driving style.

Well I can’t hold it back any longer Johnny 5, I think what you have written in this post is both stupid and could be down right dangerous for a couple of reasons.

First a car be it ICE or EV that is coasting is NOT under total control end off.

And has for your picture of 4.5mpkwh you posted well quite a few members on these forums have got that and better without any mention of This stilly and stupid way of driving.
Onto the car and it’s drive selector it is far too easy to turn this the wrong way and select REVERSE while your coasting or toggling between D&N as you say you do, well don’t expect your warranty to cover any repairs when you damage NAY destroy the drive chain no no, misuse is not covered my friend.

Plus if yeh if you did managed to go into the reverse setting and maybe the wheels might lock up and you go skidding into someone else on the road or trough a crash barrier think about it Johnny and stop it.
It is of no benefit at all plus Im sure you don’t want your user name changing from Johnny 5 live to Johnny 5 DEAD do you so think about it Johnny and stop it.
And as an edit I say to anyone else doing this coasting sh,t and put your brains in gear this is not the way to drive
Les
Come on Les, spit it out 😆
Firstly, please check your facts before making ridiculous assumptions. You CANNOT select reverse at forward speeds above 2mph.
Secondly, I will drive my car the way I choose to, as no doubt you will.
Apart from that, have a great day 🙂

maybe it's your right foot lol, saying that I get about the same 3.1 to 3.7 higher when in town
My right foot has played a small part but the way I drive seems to make no difference. It varies between 2.7 and 3.1 no matter how I drive it. Will try a balancing charge to see if that resolves it 👍

Come on Les, spit it out 😆
Firstly, please check your facts before making ridiculous assumptions. You CANNOT select reverse at forward speeds above 2mph.
Secondly, I will drive my car the way I choose to, as no doubt you will.
Apart from that, have a great day 🙂
Johnny 5
Umm Spit it out you say I think I’ve already done that !

You CANNOT select reverse at forward speeds above 2mph, well if that’s right, it’s very true I didn’t know that, what I do know is , I’m not going to try it and my car will remain in drive while moving forwards.

Yes you can drive your car the way you choose to, on your head be it so you to have a nice day.

Oops, cut it a bit fine this time 🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210421-072213_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210421-072213_Gallery.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 224
Yes - good point. I think we are a little unsure what switching to N does whilst driving. My concern would be more what it does if you were to drop it back in drive at a higher speed after coasting. The motor might have to get back up to a few thousand RPM very quickly. Again I’m unsure how this connection between the selection and the motor/transfer box works. Personally I’ve never really seen the point in coasting and constantly moving back and forth between selections - I’m sure if it was that beneficial all manufacturers would build it into their cars - but each to his own.
After a little more research I discovered that the motor speed is constant with roadspeed. Switching from N to D at any speed simply applies power (if pedal depressed) or back EMF (if in any KERS mode) to an already spooling motor.
So it's purely electrical and not mechanical.
Thanks for pointing me in this direction, it's all a big learning experience 🙂

I've had petrol cars down to 0 miles range in the past but I start panicking now when the 5 gets to 30% remaining!
Yes the difference is, with IC powered cars at 0 range you usually have slightly more left than they like you to think, but I wouldn't like to let my 5 get any lower than this as I think zero probably MEANS zero!

Happy with a regular journey yesterday, I do a work trip which consists on a-roads, motorways and d/carriageways. A round trip of around 170 miles. The reason for getting my MG5 was the 200 mile range. For the first time yesterday I did the journey on one charge with % and miles in reserve. The miles done and the miles left equate to around 200 miles 😊

Attachments

• 33FE0E5E-F0FF-4D36-8DE3-22E994AC203C.jpeg
    33FE0E5E-F0FF-4D36-8DE3-22E994AC203C.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 185
Happy with a regular journey yesterday, I do a work trip which consists on a-roads, motorways and d/carriageways. A round trip of around 170 miles. The reason for getting my MG5 was the 200 mile range. For the first time yesterday I did the journey on one charge with % and miles in reserve. The miles done and the miles left equate to around 200 miles 😊
Pretty good then, what speed do you generally do on the motorway if you don't mind me asking?

CA24C4EF-6B49-44B6-BB1B-7BEBA278D436.jpeg
Finally managed to do a journey with an average above 3.2!
(And yes I know it needs a dust 😂)

So yesterday we did a round trip from near Launceston to near Frome - about 240 miles.
Set off about 10am with 2 of us and about 120kgs clay in the back. Started at 97% charge. Stopped for a rapid recharge about 10miles short of destination as wanted to be sure to have enough to get home whatever time we left. At that point we had got 3.6m/kWh
IMG_20210423_121858455.resized.jpg

A 20min charge (approx) took it up to 75%. The return journey (without the farting around picking up the clay in the morning) took us down to 10% at 3.8m/kWh
IMG_20210423_204527717.resized.jpg

Annoyingly the other side of Okehampton on the way back it was showing 4.1m/kWh, but then we had to switch on lights and it gets a bit more hilly, plus I guess you get less out of the last 20% anyway so it dropped back to 3.8.

So the main difference between morning and evening was 120kg extra load on the way up, plus some headlight use near the end. Near identical route (reversed) and ambient conditions. The difference in average speed is largely down to 10 miles of messing around at the start in the morning, plus my wife driving faster than me on the dual carriageways.

The GOM seems to track down with the battery % and be a simple recalculation from the charge state with an assumed range of 216 in mode E - hence the final GOM of 22miles at 10% (21.6 rounded up). I don't believe that, as we had only done about 15 miles since it hit 20% so I don't believe it is taking account of current driving conditions or trip average.

Still given that the initial charge to 97% was free from our solar, the £7.65 recharge/fuel cost for the round trip isn't bad. Is 35p/kWh typical for PAYGo rapid chargers - seems quite pricey?

Overall conclusions - carrying stuff in an estate car will affect your range (no surprise), using headlights will affect your range (no surprise), don't believe the GOM when you are under 20%.

So yesterday we did a round trip from near Launceston to near Frome - about 240 miles.
Set off about 10am with 2 of us and about 120kgs clay in the back. Started at 97% charge. Stopped for a rapid recharge about 10miles short of destination as wanted to be sure to have enough to get home whatever time we left. At that point we had got 3.6m/kWh View attachment 3021

A 20min charge (approx) took it up to 75%. The return journey (without the farting around picking up the clay in the morning) took us down to 10% at 3.8m/kWhView attachment 3022
Annoyingly the other side of Okehampton on the way back it was showing 4.1m/kWh, but then we had to switch on lights and it gets a bit more hilly, plus I guess you get less out of the last 20% anyway so it dropped back to 3.8.

So the main difference between morning and evening was 120kg extra load on the way up, plus some headlight use near the end. Near identical route (reversed) and ambient conditions. The difference in average speed is largely down to 10 miles of messing around at the start in the morning, plus my wife driving faster than me on the dual carriageways.

The GOM seems to track down with the battery % and be a simple recalculation from the charge state with an assumed range of 216 in mode E - hence the final GOM of 22miles at 10% (21.6 rounded up). I don't believe that, as we had only done about 15 miles since it hit 20% so I don't believe it is taking account of current driving conditions or trip average.

Still given that the initial charge to 97% was free from our solar, the £7.65 recharge/fuel cost for the round trip isn't bad. Is 35p/kWh typical for PAYGo rapid chargers - seems quite pricey?

Overall conclusions - carrying stuff in an estate car will affect your range (no surprise), using headlights will affect your range (no surprise), don't believe the GOM when you are under 20%.
What was your speed on the motorway? Doing nearer 70 than 60 can have a marked effect, much more than using headlights. 35p is probably average these days, but Plus using the app is 35p, I think, and less if you pay the monthly subscription

Had a bad one yesterday:
IMG_20210503_204413377.resized.jpg

This was on the way back from S.Glous to Cornwall via a stop in N.Bristol to recharge. Thought we'd have comfortably enough to get home, but what with rain, so wipers and lights on, cold so windows steaming up without the A/C so had to have that on most of the time at 17deg, and probably a headwind of 20-40mph we travelled a mere 6 miles for every 10 miles the GOM dropped. Had to stop for an emergency charge at Exeter as not enough range, even on the GOM, to get near home :(
Thank goodness the Exeter Services Ecotricity CCS was working yesterday (it often isn't apparently) as public CCS points are a bit few beyond Exeter.
Speed on m5/a30 was 60-70mph apart from a section at 50mph on cruise for 6 miles through the roadworks

The outward trip on Sunday was done at 3.9 miles/kWh.

Not looking forward to doing long trips in the winter - but at least we know now - or is something wrong?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom