Miles/kWh

With all due respect, in an emergency one would use the brakes. Reading this thread I'm clearly not the only owner using this technique, but you don't have to 🙂
I'd be more concerned about causing damage with back EMF by allowing the wheels to spin freely; although I don't actually know how 'neutral' is achieved, it may just be a software setting that keeps net power flow to the motor to zero. In any case, a very similar effect to 'neutral' can be achieved by holding the accelerator pedal at the point where the power meter reads zero, which has the added bonus of affording you more control while using the same amount of energy.

I’m not sure about the MG5 but the owners manual for the ZS has this small comment under starting and driving. I would guess that the MG5 will be a similar setup to the ZS.

Attachments

• 9E6DEE0C-5815-4B7A-BA13-4AE99AEF78EC.jpeg
    9E6DEE0C-5815-4B7A-BA13-4AE99AEF78EC.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 213
I'm not sure what advantage you'd get from "coasting" in Neutral in a modern electric car and not in KERS . Also if you did have a crash and they found you were in Neutral you'd be in trouble.

Maybe in older cars back in the day it would save on petrol but these modern cars even petrol are designed in a way that its not.

Yes the do not coast in N advice may well refer to the legality issue as it is technically "illegal" to freewheel, although in terms of back EMF there are no implications.
I have managed to see the percentage increase (only by 1%) using KERS down very long steep hills, reminiscent of descent mode in previous BMW autos, but watching the regeneration amps in this situation compared to the usage amps even on the flat, it's pretty marginal if significant on an overall charge cycle.
I'll be interested to see at what cycle life the cells begin to yield more capacity, having been heavily involved with rechargeable cells right through the NiCad, NiMh, Li-ion, Li-fe and Li-Po eras it could be getting on for 60-70 cycles to optimum which could be next year with my expected mileage!

Yes the do not coast in N advice may well refer to the legality issue as it is technically "illegal" to freewheel, although in terms of back EMF there are no implications.
I have managed to see the percentage increase (only by 1%) using KERS down very long steep hills, reminiscent of descent mode in previous BMW autos, but watching the regeneration amps in this situation compared to the usage amps even on the flat, it's pretty marginal if significant on an overall charge cycle.
I'll be interested to see at what cycle life the cells begin to yield more capacity, having been heavily involved with rechargeable cells right through the NiCad, NiMh, Li-ion, Li-fe and Li-Po eras it could be getting on for 60-70 cycles to optimum which could be next year with my expected mileage!
I’m interested why is it technically illegal to freewheel and where that has come from. The Institute of Adanced Motorists teach coasting with the clutch dipped, under certain conditions, rather than going through the gearbox, as part of their advanced driving course.

I wondered about coasting in N and if it's fine to do so why does it say this on page 245 of the manual, leading me to believe that damage may occur going over 3 mph in N ?
"When pushing or towing the vehicle onto the transporter, the speed must remain below 3mph (5km/h) and be completed within 3 minutes."

Yes - good point. I think we are a little unsure what switching to N does whilst driving. My concern would be more what it does if you were to drop it back in drive at a higher speed after coasting. The motor might have to get back up to a few thousand RPM very quickly. Again I’m unsure how this connection between the selection and the motor/transfer box works. Personally I’ve never really seen the point in coasting and constantly moving back and forth between selections - I’m sure if it was that beneficial all manufacturers would build it into their cars - but each to his own.

Of course there is. In an emergency situation you press the pedal, KERS disengages automatically and off you go.
I have been driving for 56 years. Cars, bikes, vans, trucks and buses. And only once has accelerating been necessary to get me out of trouble. And that was on a bike.

I have been driving for 56 years. Cars, bikes, vans, trucks and buses. And only once has accelerating been necessary to get me out of trouble. And that was on a bike.
Only takes the one time though doesn't it. I've been using toasters for 40 years but if I need to get some toast stuck in it I always unplug it first.

I tried putting the car into N this morning and it showed no regeneration. I normally use Kers2 and E. Kers3 seems to break to much for my liking but looks like if you feather the gas it does not feel so harsh...

If you scroll to the amps page you will see that it shows ZERO in N (or possibly 1 or 2 amps if you have AC, blower etc. on).
I do take the gentleman's point about sudden motor spool-up going from N to D+KERS though, perhaps wiser to use the technique mainly in lower speed situations.
I got 254 miles from my last charge with 4% remaining from mixed Town, country and a few miles of motorway driving (only between junctions) so I'm generally impressed with this car's range so far 🙂

I’m interested why is it technically illegal to freewheel and where that has come from. The Institute of Adanced Motorists teach coasting with the clutch dipped, under certain conditions, rather than going through the gearbox, as part of their advanced driving course.
My understanding was that, whilst not technically illegal (it's not a MUST NOT), it's not considered good driving practice - Rule 122 - General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders (103 to 158) - The Highway Code - Guidance - GOV.UK

I don't really see that the IAM guidance re gear changes has any real relevance to an auto gearbox and, in particular, to EVs

Hi guys,
Firstly thanks for the extremely useful forum. I've only had my 5 for a week but have already experimented with the best way of stretching the range (for me anyway!)
My first charge faithfully did 2 miles for each percentage and I changed it with 25% remaining and 156 miles done.
Since then I've tried a few different things but what seems to work best is, when road conditions allow, to select neutral, coast, and toggle to D using the varying cadence of KERS settings 1 2 & 3 to regulate distance to the car in front and to slow down for junctions. On some trips I barely use the brakes at all, and in some cases I get 3 or 4 miles to each percentage.
I'm not sure what overall increase I'll get per charge but it's certainly going to be well over the 200 miles expexted.
I didn't know this display page existed until I found out above but this was an afternoon jaunt to walk the dogs, along an A road with typical traffic. The average speed dropped from 54 to 23 when I got back to the car so I assume it measures on a daily basis or between resets? 🤔
Anyway I love the car and I'm discovering more about it and the whole EV concept by the day.
Thanks again for a fab forum 😁
Well I can’t hold it back any longer Johnny 5, I think what you have written in this post is both stupid and could be down right dangerous for a couple of reasons.

First a car be it ICE or EV that is coasting is NOT under total control end off.

And has for your picture of 4.5mpkwh you posted well quite a few members on these forums have got that and better without any mention of This stilly and stupid way of driving.
Onto the car and it’s drive selector it is far too easy to turn this the wrong way and select REVERSE while your coasting or toggling between D&N as you say you do, well don’t expect your warranty to cover any repairs when you damage NAY destroy the drive chain no no, misuse is not covered my friend.

Plus if yeh if you did managed to go into the reverse setting and maybe the wheels might lock up and you go skidding into someone else on the road or trough a crash barrier think about it Johnny and stop it.
It is of no benefit at all plus Im sure you don’t want your user name changing from Johnny 5 live to Johnny 5 DEAD do you so think about it Johnny and stop it.
And as an edit I say to anyone else doing this coasting sh,t and put your brains in gear this is not the way to drive
Les

Last edited:
Which bit of "whilst not technically illegal" was not clear?
I don’t know where your quote is from. Your facts seem mixed up. I responded to this post;
Johnny 5 is alive said:

I wouldn't think N disconnects the transfer box from the motor, I suspect it just does some electrical circuit switching and the motor is running at the same speed as it would be in D, but with nowhere for the charge it's generating to go.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom