Moisture in car

Interesting thread. I have my MG booked at the dealer due to this issue. On two occasions I actually needed to whipe the interior as it kept fogging up.

Maybe my AC has a defect or software bug as it is quite useless when there’s a lot of moisture in the air combined with a tad of cold weather.
I experienced the same issue with fogging until I adjusted the air recycling setting from auto to exclusively use outside air (indicated by the icon with an arrow from outside the car pointing inward). Since making this change, I haven't encountered any further problems with window fogging. Give it a shot!

Interesting thread. I have my MG booked at the dealer due to this issue. On two occasions I actually needed to wipe the interior as it kept fogging up.

Maybe my AC has a defect or software bug as it is quite useless when there’s a lot of moisture in the air combined with a tad of cold weather.
Maybe my AC is not working correctly but I don’t know.

It really is like wiping my shower door when wiping my windshield

I think this is what I've done in the past with some success :-

1. Checked all footwells / boot well for damp (i.e leaks)
2. If they were all OK, I went for for a long drive in dry weather with all windows a half inch down and the HVAC set to the highest temp setting and AC on (set to external air). I got the the car as hot as possible to dry out the seats and carpets etc. and let the moisture escape through the windows and AC.
3. I thoroughy cleaned the inside of all the glass with a good glass cleaner. I used two clean dry glass cloths to start with and kept one as dry as possible for final rubover.
4. From then on I kept AC on all the time over Winter (set to external air)

Modern cars are so well insulated that moisture can't get out so easily so you need to occasionally do a routine similar to the above. I doubt it's an MG issue (unless its a leak) as I've read countless similar threads on other car forums at this time of the year.

Some people have added two more steps as follows :-

5. Buy some car dehumidifier bags that sit on your dash under the windscreen.
6. Applied an Anti-fogging coating to the inside of the windcreen once fully cleaned.

I’ve noticed that there’s always large droplets of water on the inside of the windscreen, I can’t work out where it’s coming from, but it’s enough that you would use your wiper blades to try and get rid of it thinking it’s on the outside.

Now it’s a tight bang in the middle of the windscreen, in between the driver & passengers side.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I keep banging on about checking for swimming pool in the boot under tyre inflator definitely adds moisture.

Aside from that yes seems a bit misty. Bought some glass cleaner with anti fog from Asda. Nightmare to clean and get streak free compared to some other products but seems to keep the moisture off better.

I’ve noticed that there’s always large droplets of water on the inside of the windscreen, I can’t work out where it’s coming from, but it’s enough that you would use your wiper blades to try and get rid of it thinking it’s on the outside.

Now it’s a tight bang in the middle of the windscreen, in between the driver & passengers side.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Mine doesn't do this.

Mine seems to stay at the last setting I had it at. I agree that "recirculate" causes the windows to fog up. However I have been generally impressed by how well the car demists. Just press that demister button and it all goes away.
I first found Recirc in my Mum's 1977 Honda Civic, then in my Dad's Mazda 323 in 1980 and Mum's 1986 Nissan Micra.
They were all dreadful on recirc- great for keeping out stinky exhausts, but rubbish at keeping windows clear.

Nowadays, all cars seem to have a Recirc setting, but I've noticed they're not as bad as earlier cars were. Yes, they fog up, but not as quickly or severely.

Is it just me or is there a lot of moisture in others cars too?

I feels like it’s the same as wiping the shower screen when I wipe the windshield
I’ve had my MG4 standard range for just over 3 months now and this is exactly the issue that made me discover this forum and I have to register. My rear windshield continues to give me headache as it fogs up with mist so readily even with AC plus demister on.

I have literally done everything google has to advise: bought a bag of dehumidifier pellet from Asda, reset air circulation mode to external, switch on the AC etc. As a matter of fact, the clear windshield (rear) often fogs up after I have parked the car and later clears off again after about 3-4hrs.

And with the winter already here, it’s now becoming a serious nightmare as my battery drains quickly due to having to keep AC on or frequently switching on/off to clear the windows. Otherwise I’m enjoying the car.

I appreciate all the suggestions people have made but I still need more practical tips if someone can help.

I keep the AC running all the time and have the fan speed set to low. I put the front and rear demister on when first getting into the car and turn them off once the front and rear screens have cleared but keep the AC on and the windows stay clear and as a bonus I'm warm.

I don't worry about the energy used and accept that in the colder weather I will have to charge more often, but I'm lucky and can charge at home so even if the m/kWh drops to 2 it is still only costing me 4.5p/mile which is a lot less than my previous 2.0 diesel which at this time of the year would be 28p/mile.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back