Motability & MG4

drivethru

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi All,

I thought I would make a thread about any motability customers here and if they've ordered the MG4 and how long it took?

I placed my order for a grey trophy mid-March but haven't heard anything back from the dealer.

From what I've been told by the dealer - apparently motability customers can't grab a quick ready MG4 as it has to be a new freshly built one?

Has anyone had any luck getting a motability mg4 from a dealer that was already on the dealer's forecourt?

Thanks in advance!

New member here, and coincidentally just as registering saw this thread.

My wife has just ordered an MG4 today from our local dealer. Motability do not deal with pre-owned, it has to be new stock. A good dealer should tell you the estimated stock delivery lead time and I am somewhat surprised you are asking on here, and/or why the dealer has not given you any information when you ordered the car?

Our dealer was transparent in informing that it is usually 12-16 weeks, although if they do have any new stock in of a differing colour than ordered, and not allocated to anyone, then they would give us a courtesy call asking if we would like that instead. We were also told that it is normal for it to go quiet on the contact front for at least a couple of months now during the wait.

That info was from our dealer, do not take that as gospel for whatever dealer you ordered from being the same. I would contact your dealer and find out the likely ETA, I would assume it would be something similar in wait time though.

Hi All,

I thought I would make a thread about any motability customers here and if they've ordered the MG4 and how long it took?

I placed my order for a grey trophy mid-March but haven't heard anything back from the dealer.

From what I've been told by the dealer - apparently motability customers can't grab a quick ready MG4 as it has to be a new freshly built one?

Has anyone had any luck getting a motability mg4 from a dealer that was already on the dealer's forecourt?

Thanks in advance!

I know first hand how it works as a family member got the ZS on the Motability scheme;

As others have said the car can't be pre owned or pre-registered, and MG don't allow cars to be ordered for Stock (yet)

But there are often cancellations where the cars turn up, and the person dropped out of the sale for one reason or other, the car is then not yet registered. I was lucky enough to secure a Grey Trophy, collecting this week, after walking into the dealer last week and they had one in this situation.

If you check Autotrader for new unregistered cars, they should give an indication of if a dealer has some that are sat unregistered,

Check dealers websites local to you, or give them a call. They can tell you if they have any unregistered.

Thanks that is really good advice all.

I really like the idea of checking auto trader.

Sorry to ask such a newbie question but what does pre registered mean?

Already registered.
Thanks. I'm trying to work out why some dealers have unregistered cars and others have pre registered. I suspect pre registering vehicles is the norm whilst leaving them unregistered isn't?

Thanks. I'm trying to work out why some dealers have unregistered cars and others have pre registered. I suspect pre registering vehicles is the norm whilst leaving them unregistered isn't?
I would imagine it is the other way around. They register them upon purchase. The pre registered ones have probably been sold before and returned or traded whatever.

Preregistered cars usually they are bought as stock cars for the dealership and they have to register them to the dealership if they aren't allowed to keep cars as unregistered stock. This is the case for MG.

For some reason they aren't allowed to buy cars themselves and allow them to sit with no registration, but they can have cancelled orders turn up and they don't seem to have to register them straight away. Some dealerships may tell you otherwise, but I think that's just sales tactics.

Registering just them means putting a car Reg on them and allocating that to a person or a company, usually the Dealership.

Edit: if you're flexible with colour, there are a few Trophys on Autotrader currently in different colours at various dealerships across the country that aren't 'to order' and claim to be in stock for March/Delivery or Available Now.

It's possible because as I say I found my grey one in the same manner, but there was also a blue trophy fairly close to me in Ashington.

Good luck.

Preregistered cars usually they are bought as stock cars for the dealership and they have to register them to the dealership if they aren't allowed to keep cars as unregistered stock. This is the case for MG.

For some reason they aren't allowed to buy cars themselves and allow them to sit with no registration, but they can have cancelled orders turn up and they don't seem to have to register them straight away. Some dealerships may tell you otherwise, but I think that's just sales tactics.

Registering just them means putting a car Reg on them and allocating that to a person or a company, usually the Dealership.

Edit: if you're flexible with colour, there are a few Trophys on Autotrader currently in different colours at various dealerships across the country that aren't 'to order' and claim to be in stock for March/Delivery or Available Now.

It's possible because as I say I found my grey one in the same manner, but there was also a blue trophy fairly close to me in Ashington.

Good luck.
Really appreciate this. Thanks

Really appreciate this. Thanks
Also, unsure if you're aware, with Motability you can back out of your 'agreement' with the dealership at any point before you collect the keys and give them your 'pin'. You haven't actually signed any formal lease agreement or entered into a contract.

So if you do find one, book it with the dealership and call your dealership where you ordered your grey one and tell them you won't be needing it.

This car may end up being stock for someone else in the same scenario 👍

Ordered a Smurf Trophy on 5th November through Motability and it’s turned up on a forecourt in Epsom in the last week. Delivery times may have improved now? I’m waiting to arrange to get hand controls fitted so it has to just sit there with a number plate and wait for another week or two.
I had a quick call just before Christmas from the original sales guy to say it was due in April probably then zero contact whatsoever until a 24hr delivery warning in the last week or so from a different guy. The original Motability ‘trained’ sales guy I dealt with had left the dealership a while ago apparently so I had basically zero contact on this one.
There’s next to no commission (~£150?) for the actual sales folks or dealership so over the years I’ve found a…. variable amount of attention, knowledge, and focus on the stuff you get from Motability car sales bits.

Also, unsure if you're aware, with Motability you can back out of your 'agreement' with the dealership at any point before you collect the keys and give them your 'pin'. You haven't actually signed any formal lease agreement or entered into a contract.

So if you do find one, book it with the dealership and call your dealership where you ordered your grey one and tell them you won't be needing it.

This car may end up being stock for someone else in the same scenario 👍
Thanks again.
I'm wrestling with calling around MG dealers to see if I can get a trophy quickly (as I'm looking forward to driving one) vs letting one just get built and delivered via my local dealer as it may come with more fixes applied from the factory etc.

Is that valid?

Thanks again.
I'm wrestling with calling around MG dealers to see if I can get a trophy quickly (as I'm looking forward to driving one) vs letting one just get built and delivered via my local dealer as it may come with more fixes applied from the factory etc.

Is that valid?

I think possibly, but not necessarily, there are many more folk without problems than with, we tend to just see the issues highlighted on forums.

We always need to pray it's not a Friday Afternoon car, regardless of when built.

Plus with Motability you have the added peace of mind that they don't want a problem-car either.

Good luck.
Big thanks to Carl. I took your advice and called round and found a dealer in Colchester who was receiving stock delivery of MG4s in the next two weeks. He checked for a trophy in the colour I wanted and said it was due for delivery and that if I could come to the branch and place the motability order then it would be secured for me before it gets registered. I'm really pleased with that.

I now need to get on to motability about fitting a wall charger.

Has anyone had any experience with this under motability?

Big thanks to Carl. I took your advice and called round and found a dealer in Colchester who was receiving stock delivery of MG4s in the next two weeks. He checked for a trophy in the colour I wanted and said it was due for delivery and that if I could come to the branch and place the motability order then it would be secured for me before it gets registered. I'm really pleased with that.

I now need to get on to motability about fitting a wall charger.

Has anyone had any experience with this under motability?
You're very welcome, I went through the whole process with my family member and helped to sort it all out for them. And learned a little bit in the process.

I picked my Grey Trophy up this week and love it! Wasn't my first choice of colour, but It must have been meant to be because l love the grey now.

Re: fitting a wall charger, someone from OHME or Easee will be in touch probably within a few working days to sort it out for you if it's your first EV.

It's a fairly simple process if you fit the criteria I believe.

Edit: I'm with Octopus, changing to Intelligent Octopus when our OHME gets fitted, as the OHME has its own smart features that work with Octopus Intelligent tariff, which work well with MG iSmart.

Good luck.

You're very welcome, I went through the whole process with my family member and helped to sort it all out for them. And learned a little bit in the process.

I picked my Grey Trophy up this week and love it! Wasn't my first choice of colour, but It must have been meant to be because l love the grey now.

Re: fitting a wall charger, someone from OHME or Easee will be in touch probably within a few working days to sort it out for you if it's your first EV.

It's a fairly simple process if you fit the criteria I believe.

Edit: I'm with Octopus, changing to Intelligent Octopus when our OHME gets fitted, as the OHME has its own smart features that work with Octopus Intelligent tariff, which work well with MG iSmart.

Good luck.
Thanks again Carl,

I love the grey too!

Thanks for the wall box link. I'll get onto motability about it.

Do I have to switch my entire energy over to octopus? Does it work out much cheaper than conventional energy or the 'big 6'?

@drivethru - their standard tarrifs are in line with the government price cap/guarantee but (location depending) their intelligent Tariff is 40p per kWh day (7p more than the cap) and 10p per kWh for 6 hours overnight - 23p per kWh cheaper than standard.

If you decide to switch your supply over, octopus are pretty much the best rated supplier nowadays so it's a win win.

You don't HAVE to switch your supply over, but as you can see you'll probably benefit quite a lot unless you are a large user of kWh in the remaining 18hrs per day. Or do minimal miles in order to benefit from the price difference.

Edit: they should get in touch automatically, either OHME or Easee, Motability will probably tell you to wait for communication from them and follow the instructions and give them the information they need.

Last edited:
@CarlMG4 We are currently on British Gas, fixed tariff until July. Do you think it would be worth switching to Octopus? Our car on order will be around 12 weeks time.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 536 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back