Motorway efficiency test MG4 Trophy

You don't need to get close to trucks at 56 mph.

I've just done a return trip from Chesterfield to Liverpool in my Outlander phev brick, 77 miles each way with 23 miles electric range outbound and 1 mile range at the start of the return.

Plenty of hills at the Derbyshire side.

Regen contributed enough for 66% of the outbound to be ev and 50% on the return with electric efficiency 4.2miles per kwh.

Much of the trip on motorway at 56 plus excursions into higher speeds to pass vehicles travelling at 56 on over-reading speedos rather than gps, and on minor roads matching general traffic speeds.

If you can't better 4 miles per kwh with an MG4 you're doomed as an ev driver, doomed I tell ye 😱🙂
interesting but comparing a PHEV to a BEV is like comparing an apple to a banana

I'll certainly share some information after I pick my car up next Fri. I do a daily 54 mile round trip commute along the A13 to east london.
Same sort of traffic everyday.Tiny bit of reasonable dual carriageway for the first 17 miles or so .Then a load of stop start for the last 10 miles .I have a fairly light right foot abd I'm really keen to see how the economy works out for me .

I'll certainly share some information after I pick my car up next Fri. I do a daily 54 mile round trip commute along the A13 to east london.
Same sort of traffic everyday.Tiny bit of reasonable dual carriageway for the first 17 miles or so .Then a load of stop start for the last 10 miles .I have a fairly light right foot abd I'm really keen to see how the economy works out for me .
We could have a group google spreadsheet if others wish to contribute

I made a quick trip to town today and was stunned to see this !
And no it's not all downhill 🤣
It's relatively flat throughout the journey
There was a little queuing here and there.
I know it was only just over 3 miles but as you can see from average mph I wasn't crawling
View attachment 11762
I dont beleive it!!, are you doubly sure you didn't take it to the top of Emley Moor, before resetting those gauges 🤣🤣

My overall average since purchase is 3.6 miles/ Kw - it does seem to work backwards from a diesel, higher the (EV) speed the lower the efficiency.

Last edited:
You don't need to get close to trucks at 56 mph.

I've just done a return trip from Chesterfield to Liverpool in my Outlander phev brick, 77 miles each way with 23 miles electric range outbound and 1 mile range at the start of the return.

Plenty of hills at the Derbyshire side.

Regen contributed enough for 66% of the outbound to be ev and 50% on the return with electric efficiency 4.2miles per kwh.

Much of the trip on motorway at 56 plus excursions into higher speeds to pass vehicles travelling at 56 on over-reading speedos rather than gps, and on minor roads matching general traffic speeds.

If you can't better 4 miles per kwh with an MG4 you're doomed as an ev driver, doomed I tell ye 😱🙂
Have you driven the mg4 any distance? It’s not efficient on motorway runs unless you want to pi55off the lorry drivers, which I’d suggest isn’t a great advert for EVs.

3.8mi/kWh is good going at 63-65mph.

It’s my 4th EV in 10 years and efficiency on par with my old 24kWh Leaf, things really should have moved on. I don’t think they’re bothering, just sticking in bigger batteries, which is a real shame.

We drove our IONIQ 38 alongside our MG4 on several routes and it averaged out at 5.2mi/kWh vs 3.8 for the MG. Cross country A/B roads it was 6.2 v 4.5 on our last dual drive over 60 miles, round trip. Yes…….the Ioniq is powered by Fairy/Unicorn/Rocking Horse poo/magic etc and lighter and more aero……but I still think for a smallish hatch the MG4 should do better.

perhaps they will when the undertrays aren’t acting like windbreaks hanging down.

interesting but comparing a PHEV to a BEV is like comparing an apple to a banana
Why?

A phev on battery is an ev and the comparison is perfectly valid, especially when it's hardly an aerodynamic masterpiece.

The battery is lighter but has added weight of engine and petrol.

My example and conclusion is perfectly valid.

What truck drivers are going to be p#ss#d off because you're in the first lane with them and you actually know how to drive?

What truck drivers are going to be p#ss#d off because you're in the first lane with them and you actually know how to drive?
When I was trying to extend diesel range I used to find a lorry going at a fair speed (one that had been overtaking), then follow that. If a truck was catching us up I'd move out and overtake first in order to reduce the overtake distance for the speedier one. I imagine it's a chore for a lorry driver getting past 2 vehicles when there's no real need.

When I was trying to extend diesel range I used to find a lorry going at a fair speed (one that had been overtaking), then follow that. If a truck was catching us up I'd move out and overtake first in order to reduce the overtake distance for the speedier one. I imagine it's a chore for a lorry driver getting past 2 vehicles when there's no real need.
They never have to get past me.

Nearly all of them travel at precisely 56 mph satnav

If any start closing the gap I nudge the speed up to stay clear of them, then if I start closing on another I safely overtake it, then when well clear resume cruise control, and repeat.

It's not exactly rocket science.

Last edited:
As a non-EV driver so far, I’m so confused by this thread.

Why would anyone drive behind lorries on the motorway? Is this a thing for fuel economy? I always assumed the folk not wanting to overtake lorries driving at 50 mph were scared of the motorways. Was I wrong all this time and it’s actually folk trying to get better mpg or whatever?

Each to their own but the way I see it, owning an EV is going to save £££s over petrol anyway no matter how I drive it so I’m planning on driving the shit out of it!

Odo stands at 620 miles in just under 3 weeks. Total efficiency 3.8 miles per KWh in SE SR with mix of motorway, city driving. AC always on 22. Mostly Normal mode and regen 3.

I think you'll find lorries will be doing 60 on motorways, give or take, depending on how accurately their speed limiters have been set and to come across a car doing 58 as you catch them up and then 62 just as you pull out really p!$$3$ them off.

Last edited:
Why?

A phev on battery is an ev and the comparison is perfectly valid, especially when it's hardly an aerodynamic masterpiece.

The battery is lighter but has added weight of engine and petrol.

My example and conclusion is perfectly valid.
Do the same journey in an EV please and post results to prove your theory, OH and with the same size battery that is in your outlander. This is a doomed journey. ;)
Now that is a comparison even though the outlander is between 200 & 300 KG heavier than the MG4, with an onboard generator.

Last edited:
Why would anyone drive behind lorries on the motorway? Is this a thing for fuel economy? I always assumed the folk not wanting to overtake lorries driving at 50 mph were scared of the motorways. Was I wrong all this time and it’s actually folk trying to get better mpg
If you follow a large vehicle it 'breaks' the air and makes a huge difference to how hard your vehicle is having to work. You don't have to be really close to the vehicle in front and it will make a significant improvement to your efficiency.

As a few have said you need to be on your toes and aware of what is going on around you or you will not be popular.

If you follow a large vehicle it 'breaks' the air and makes a huge difference to how hard your vehicle is having to work. You don't have to be really close to the vehicle in front and it will make a significant improvement to your efficiency.

As a few have said you need to be on your toes and aware of what is going on around you or you will not be popular.
Cyclists call it drafting or slipstreaming (taking advantage of the lower air pressure behind a large vehicle), but for obvious reasons I wouldn’t recommend getting this close! 😳😅

Wow. Personally there is no way I would buy a new car (or any car actually) and spend my motorway time creeping along at 60 behind lorries! Where’s the fun in that?!

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I just don’t get it either. Similarly people talking about driving with the HVAC off and wearing extra clothes. Fuggeddaboutit. Not judging anyone though, your car your rules.

I just don’t get it either. Similarly people talking about driving with the HVAC off and wearing extra clothes. Fuggeddaboutit. Not judging anyone though, your car your rules.
As a rule I wouldn't normally, but if it allows me to fo an extra 30 miles on a long trip and avoids an expensive top up then it's good to know you've got the option.

For example I'm 220 miles from the Scottish border and probably wouldn't be able to reach those nice cheap chargeplace Scotland points going at normal speeds on a full charge.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back