My car rolled forward after parking

DanRiz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I parked my car in the drive which is on a slope, came back later to find it a foot or two further down againsts the bins, lucky no damage.
When parking I usually put in neutral then press the park button before switching off. Is what am I doing wrong?

However you put on the brake, it shouldn't move once the car is off. In fact mine will put on the handbrake automatically whenever I turn it off, however I've left the selector! Keep an eye on it, do you have any\much surface rust on the rear disks?

I do wish our cars had a conventional parking pawl that engaged in the front final drive when in park, it worries me only relying on rear calipers, especially as the cars age. Handbrakes on cars with rear disks are often much more troublesome than drum types...

I switch off while in D, no neural or P, I think a worm geared motor puts the rear brakes on for parking.
I put the ACC on going down hill once a week, uses the friction brake due to software error and cleans the discs.

I just turn it off with the start/stop button and the parking brake applies automatic.i park fairly flat .could it have slid with ice or frost by any chance

Was it icy ?
I had a similar thing on an icy slope. The car was in ready mode and in "P" when it slid forward a foot or so towards a railing then stopped by itself. I assumed the rear wheels had slid on the ice then found some less slippery surface and stopped but thinking about it, because it was in ready mode, it could have been the pre-collision braking that braked the front wheels before it hit the railing as the front wheels were on drier ground. :unsure:
Forgot to say, I was stood outside the car at the driver's door.

I do wish our cars had a conventional parking pawl that engaged in the front final drive when in park, it worries me only relying on rear calipers, especially as the cars age.
Does the ZS EV not have this safety feature not built in then - surely it must have ?.
I would be extremely surprised if it does NOT.
What is the point of having a "P" parking function on the selector if not for this very purpose ?.
This then offers the same facility as leaving an ICE car with a manual gearbox, in gear when the engine is not running.
A second back up to support the handbrake either electronic or manual lever.
Cars with DSG ( Autobox ) has a "P" function, which does lock the transmission also.
I can't think why an electric car including the ZS EV should be any different really ?.
My drive is just long enough to take the ZS EV so I tend to apply the footbrake first, then select "N" and then power the car down.
The electronic handbrake is automatically applied on power down, I can hear the callipers being applied, then I feel comfortable to release the footbrake.
Is it possible that the OP has put the selector into "N" and then forgot to press the "P" button and the handbrake did not apply automatically ?.
Or manually pushed down on the handbrake lever, instead of pulling up to apply it ?.
One of life's unknown mystery's I guess.

I pressed P and then slid back a bit. Sloping drive and a bit of ice. Stopped when it hit a clear patch of ground.

Some years ago my car disappeared off my drive and was parked neatly on the opposite side of the road.

Turned out the handbrake hadn't held and very fortunately the steering lock had the right amount of steer. Could have easily gone on to a neighbours drive and hit their cars.

When I bought the house, the survey warned me about the drive.

Maybe a small hump on the drive would work .not too high as to make it hard to drive over ,but enough to stop it starting to roll in the first place .would only need an inch or so .just a thought .

The user manual warns against selecting whilst moving - I wonder what happens?

You first! My point was - does it lock up something? Like an additional parking lock....

It is very easy to press being where it is .i seem to remember reading about this at some point .maybe in the manual .i'll have to check

Yes it is easy to press. I would be surprised if there wasn’t some lock-out once the car is moving.

You first! My point was - does it lock up something? Like an additional parking lock....
Pressing "P" when driving does nothing - I've tried it.
Pulling the "EPB" (handbrake switch) whilst driving initiates emergency braking and activates all four wheels - I've tried it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom