Nasty Number Plate

Ok. But it’s not compulsory to have a green flash plate on an EV and you can still get those benefits? It’s the number and the registration at Swansea that provides the authorisation not the green flash.

I was just wondering after your post what value of fines people were getting in your area really. It’s been suggested also that you get a £1000 fine for having an illegal green flash on your number plate which seems harsh to me.
It's £100 fixed non endorsable, they are thinking of making it endorsable.
The fine can go to a maximum £1000 at court.

Have heard recently of some people getting a £100 ticket for each plate

Ok. But it’s not compulsory to have a green flash plate on an EV and you can still get those benefits? It’s the number and the registration at Swansea that provides the authorisation not the green flash.
Someone who I work with had to prove their vehicle was an EV and entitled to the green stripe after parking in a preferential space in Birmingham and got a ticket issued by a warden

So tell me why people running 5-series diesels (example I’ve seen) run green flash plates?
I agree there are no ‘actual’ benefits to running them, such as use of bus lanes that has been mooted but AFAIK no city has actually implemented.
I also agree DVLA records will ultimately catch them out.
However, they aren’t doing it for fun, they’re doing it for personal gain, nothing else.
And one example I can think of straight off is parking in EV only bays, in the hope no one actually checks and will take the green flash plates at face value.
They’re chancers, pure and simple.

Good luck with that then because since the turn of the year there has been a real crackdown on them

As I said, mine doesn’t seem to attract attention because it’s otherwise legal apart from the spacing.
Quite happy to take my chances and, if I get caught, I’m philosophical about it, I’ve had decades of no issues and can’t complain.
Driving through fife regularly shows me the police have far greater car-related issues to deal with than my well maintained new cars with slightly naughty plates.

Had it fallen off without me knowing, hassle would have ensued. Gov UK say:

Replace lost, stolen or damaged plates​

You can get replacement plates if yours have been lost, stolen or damaged. If your plates were stolen or lost, you must report this to the police.
You have to apply for a full replacement set - you cannot get a single plate to replace a damaged plate for vehicles (excluding motorcycles).
Say what now?

I have bought single plates before (from an online store ) for fitting on a trailer. What's the difference?

One of my neighbours has questionable plates. The spacing is wrong and they have a grey smoke tinge to them but you know when his MOT is due because they get swapped for legal plates.
All that effort with your plates to let everyone else know 😉

I believe there's fairly strict laws about number plates which have travelled backwards through time...
When I first looked at 3D and 4D plates I thought that they might not be legal. I was surprised to find that they are. The gel 3 and 4D look good I think. Especially if you have a private number.

Had it fallen off without me knowing, hassle would have ensued. Gov UK say:

Replace lost, stolen or damaged plates​

You can get replacement plates if yours have been lost, stolen or damaged. If your plates were stolen or lost, you must report this to the police.
You have to apply for a full replacement set - you cannot get a single plate to replace a damaged plate for vehicles (excluding motorcycles).
You can buy a single plate e.g. if you had a trailer or bike rack that required one. No law to say that you require both.

Opps, that's why you should always poop read your massages before you press send🤪
Always poof read you’re reply’s🤪

I got my car from GH they replaced the number plate and I asked the to fix the front and rear with plastic bolts which thy did foc. I’m a happy bunny now

I've had my new MG4 for 3 days and the number plate has fallen off. Cheap and nasty (weak) double-sided tape holding it in! Dealer: Glyn Hopkin, Chelmsford.View attachment 15359
Hi Crow, sorry to see you had to deal with such shoddy workmanship, can't see why they didn't use to proper screws or bolts in the two covered holes.
Good to see yet another MG4 in Tiptree i was beginning to feel like the only one.
Might check my plates, just in case any of the power washing has leakened them in any way.
hope you get it sorted soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I consider myself one of the lucky ones who had a dealer who could understand logic. He used plastic nuts and bolts and colour matched them to either the numberplate colour or black, depending on where the screw was positioned, through the background or through a digit.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 491 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back