New AC charging behaviour

unbornidentity

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Had a software update to R33 as my car didn’t have an outside temperature display.

That is now working but it appears they may have updated more than just the infotainment.

Before the update the car wouldn’t AC charge unless the car was locked even if you pressed “start charging” but I’d only ever get blue or green port lights. Now (after the first charge since the update, which worked like normal) unless the charge starts immediately (I’ve got an Ohme) I get red charge port lights. If I override the Ohme schedule and get in the car and press “start charging” the car starts charging (which is good).

Was a bit concerned it wouldn’t charge overnight as now after plugging in the port goes red so locked the car then overrode the Ohme schedule and after about 20 seconds the port went green and it started accepting charge.

The odd thing is now, when the charger isn’t connected I get yellow port lights! So basically, yellow with nothing connected, red when not getting power from the charger and green when charging. Anyone else seeing this happen?

Cheers

I suspect that isn't R33 but rather an update to one of the other modules.
Yeah, I think they updated more than just the infotainment, although they didn’t say that. Just that they noticed that the display was freezing and the update should fix that too.

I’m actually really impressed with the service I was given. Took two weeks from asking for an update to getting one. No fight about doing it under warranty either. Dropped it off at 9am and they called to let me know it was ready to collect 3 hours later. Wasn’t even the dealer I got the car from so super impressed with Baylis MG Gloucester!

Would normally have to wait one to two months to get the Cupra in with Heritage and they always wanted it 24 hours for a software update which meant I had to have a courtesy car.

Well I’m fairly convinced it’s some sort of fault as I never get the blue lights now and the lights I get when unplugged keep changing. They were pink and green last time I looked and orange the time before.

Whatever it is, the car charges fine on AC and I tried a fast charge just to check and that’s fine too. Might just leave it until it’s first service or pop in and ask next time I’m near the service centre. Not to bothered that the charge port has turned into a light show!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back