New MG4 Cost

PristDean

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi
I am curious, given my experience with ordering an MG4 Trophy yesterday, I have a query regarding the cost of a new MG4

The web site, mg. co .uk clearly states the cost of an MG4 Trophy in Dynamic Red as £32,190 (I assume this includes VAT).

My question is, is that a guide price and the dealer can actually charge what they want, or is that the price (on MG's site) full stop ?

That should be the current price the dealer has to go by, it's £31495 for a trophy plus extra for different paint.
If a dealer is trying to charge more than that I'd go elsewhere. The price is due to go up in January, but that should be in line with MG's website

Thanks, my concern when I reviewed the invoice is the car was listed at base cost, so £27,323.75, they then added the admin fee and delivery fee and G3 paint fee, then calculated the VAT for the sub total on all that together, then added the registration fee for the total value

So unless you sit down and do the sums, very hard to gauge when you are sat at desk in the showroom with a sales person.

If I take what's on the site (mg site) and do the same sums (same colour) the price comes out some £598 cheaper.

I have contacted the dealer for an explanation

When I ordered mine it was certainly all broken down on the invoice , car, delivery/reg, paint then vat, it still came to the exact same price as when I picked the trophy and added grey paint on the MG website.
Would definitely be looking for an explanation

I haggled with the dealer and they would not budge on price, apparently the orders are coming through thick and fast… which did look like the case. I managed to get the mats, 3D plate and additional charger for free but that was it. Keep it mind that from the new year, tomorrow, the pieces are going up by about £1500 and the APR rate will increase too. We ordered immediately purely to avoid the increase with a delivery date of March/April. Deposit was a refundable £500.

I haggled with the dealer and they would not budge on price, apparently the orders are coming through thick and fast… which did look like the case. I managed to get the mats, 3D plate and additional charger for free but that was it. Keep it mind that from the new year, tomorrow, the pieces are going up by about £1500 and the APR rate will increase too. We ordered immediately purely to avoid the increase with a delivery date of March/April. Deposit was a refundable £500.
Agree but the poster has ordered prior to the price rise and has had an extra £600 added on somehow

This was my breakdown (from 10 nov)

Vehicle Basic Price £26,200.00
Factory Fitted Options £579.17
Manufacturers Delivery Charge £0.00
Retailer Options £0.00
Sub-Total £26,779.17
VAT @ 20% £5,355.83
Non VAT Options £0.00
Road Fund Licence £0.00
First Registration Fee £55.00
Total on the Road Price £32,190.00

So your base price is 1123.75 higher than mine?? (about 4.3%) That needs explaining

Last edited:
Is that red/orange paint I'm sure I was £32040 all in with grey paint

You fell for the "admin fee" nonsense?

Mine was an SE SR in Camden Grey and this is how my order pack was laid out:

1672496227388.png

Base Vehicle Price plus Number Plates/Delivery added together should match the (VAT-inclusive) base price on the MG website.

Last edited:
You should be paying exactly the same as Dave99, dynamic red Trophy.
What was your all in total £32788?

My breakdown on my invoice looks like this:

Total vehicle price:£27,323.75
G3 Glass Coat Paint Protection: £332.50
Admin Fee: £100
Delivery Charge: £288.75
Sub Total: £28,045
VAT: £5609
Registration Fee: £55

Invoice Total: £33,709

So that's what's on the page. Hard to do those sums in the showroom on the fly. But I now feel i'm in between a rock and a hard place... if I cancel I lose the deposit of £500 (non refundable I believe), if I continue (on the face of it right now), i'm overcharged by £598.

Hang on ... you've been charged £399 (inc. VAT) for paint protection (which is not the same as additional paint colour option); did you order that or has the dealer sneaked it in?

So that's what's on the page. Hard to do those sums in the showroom on the fly. But I now feel i'm in between a rock and a hard place... if I cancel I lose the deposit of £500 (non refundable I believe), if I continue (on the face of it right now), i'm overcharged by £598.
The G3 is not standard so that's a chunk/large majority of the difference. I wouldn't have taken that from the dealer myself, it's your choice though.
EDIT: looks like the admin fee has been applied at random/your dealers choice, and I would be less happy with that as it doesn't seem a normal charge I would expect.
The fact the price rise will happen overnight puts you in a difficult place wrt going elsewhere now.i wouldn't expect the deposit to be non refundable, my one wasn't, again though your dealer maybe more questionable.

Last edited:
Agree ... the G3 plus the "Admin fee" account for £519 of the (VAT-inclusive) difference.

Dave99 was £32190 your £1519 more I didn't think the £1000 rise was till January it looks like theyve added that in also

my order form shows £32,135 which includes the volcanic orange paint @£579.17 and delivery @£288. That’s all I’ve paid. No admin charges that I can see.

My local dealer offered £500 off price, but would budge on mats or second charger

My local dealer offered £500 off price, but would budge on mats or second charger
Ah thats interesting. My dealer offered £600 off for a "pre-registered" car that was still brand-new but registered to the dealership. I declined and opted for an unregistered unit as I prefer a later delivery.

the first thing to do is get clarity. If they have added paint protection without you agreeing then that’s terrible. Also the deposit should be refundable. You need to get on to the dealer. If you’re quick you can still put a refundable deposit down with another dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel