New MG4 Cost

The MG website is still showing the dynamic red Trophy as £32190, it looks like your dealer has definitely added on a price rise before it's official, Id be getting back in touch with them as soon as possible and pointing it out as well as the miss sold paint protection

I haggled with the dealer and they would not budge on price, apparently the orders are coming through thick and fast… which did look like the case. I managed to get the mats, 3D plate and additional charger for free but that was it. Keep it mind that from the new year, tomorrow, the pieces are going up by about £1500 and the APR rate will increase too. We ordered immediately purely to avoid the increase with a delivery date of March/April. Deposit was a refundable £500.
3D plate..... Ill reject mine if one of those gets anywhere near it!

Okay, I now have this resolved. In effect they tried to complete my order using next years prices apparently. In their own words:

"Good afternoon,
Thank you for your message, apologies for the confusion on your order form.
Please find attached updated order form.
The order form produced yesterday was on the new price list coming into effect on January 1st.
Just to confirm you will be paying the Q4 2022 Price, which is the one on this order form. If you could sign it and send it back would be fantastic."

So now the base price they are quoting for the car is: £26490.42
That in effect lowers the VAT I pay which in effect now totals £1,000 less than my original invoice.

The G3 paint... well I looked at that and it seems like a deal to me, I chose it. Never had it and I expect I'll learn a lesson or two there no doubt.

So all in all.... I am dissapointed with this dealer one day later !

Last edited:
Ok so sounds like it's cleared up now, though worrying that made the error.

On paint protection it's quite dealer dependant and I just don't trust them to apply this properly. I get it applied by a detailer that I have used and trust. The detailer sorts any issues on the paintwork prior to application so doing more work than the dealer would, it cost me £550 inc vat.
There are threads on the subject and the choice is yours.
Anyhow enjoy the 4 when you get it 😊

Last edited:
Ok so sounds like it's cleared up now, though worrying that made.the error.

On paint protection it's quite dealer dependant and I just don't trust them to apply this properly. I get it applied by a detailer that I have used and trust. The detailer sorts any issues on the paintwork prior to application, it cost me £550. There are threads on the subject and the choice is yours.
Okay, I now have this resolved. In effect they tried to complete my order using next years prices apparently. In their own words:

"Good afternoon,
Thank you for your message, apologies for the confusion on your order form.
Please find attached updated order form.
The order form produced yesterday was on the new price list coming into effect on January 1st.
Just to confirm you will be paying the Q4 2022 Price, which is the one on this order form. If you could sign it and send it back would be fantastic."

So now the base price they are quoting for the car is: £26490.42
That in effect lowers the VAT I pay which in effect now totals £1,000 less than my original invoice.

The G3 paint... well I looked at that and it seems like a deal to me, I chose it. Never had it and I expect I'll learn a lesson or two there no doubt.

So all in all.... I am dissapointed with this dealer one day later !
Bin the paint protection and save some money. You can always get it done later/elsewhere if you decide to.

Ok so sounds like it's cleared up now, though worrying that made.the error.

On paint protection it's quite dealer dependant and I just don't trust them to apply this properly. I get it applied by a detailer that I have used and trust. The detailer sorts any issues on the paintwork prior to application, it cost me £550. There are threads on the subject and the choice is yours.

Hugely disappointing that they almost had OP paying £1000 more there. The paint protection in my opinion is generally patchy from the dealer and a way to make easy money. For £550 I'd suggest getting a decent frontal wrap which will actually stop stone chips and any keying etc.

Hugely disappointing that they almost had OP paying £1000 more there. The paint protection in my opinion is generally patchy from the dealer and a way to make easy money. For £550 I'd suggest getting a decent frontal wrap which will actually stop stone chips and any keying etc.
I don't think I would get a front wrap for £550 in Surrey or around London for a that matter. I did also get a wrap over the plastic on the rear spoiler to avoid scratches.

I don't think I would get a front wrap for £550 in Surrey or around London for a that matter. I did also get a wrap over the plastic on the rear spoiler to avoid scratches.

I live in central London and I've managed to find a few coming in around that price.

I live in central London and I've managed to find a few coming in around that price.
That's more like I would expect £599+vat =£718. £550 was inc vat and prep etc and a 5year spec gtec ceramic coating.
Thought about the front wrap and decided it was a bit much for now with just partial front end protected.

I have to say that on a cheap car like the MG4 is paint protection or a wrap really worth it?
One of the big drivers for being attracted to the MG is cost - it’s relatively cheap, adding on extras does nothing really. Just look after it and keep it clean…
Yes, perhaps if you have a Porsche or a Ferrari, but I don’t see the need on a budget end car - sorry.

I have to say that on a cheap car like the MG4 is paint protection or a wrap really worth it?
One of the big drivers for being attracted to the MG is cost - it’s relatively cheap, adding on extras does nothing really. Just look after it and keep it clean…
Yes, perhaps if you have a Porsche or a Ferrari, but I don’t see the need on a budget end car - sorry.
The only thing I would say is of you intend keeping the car for a good while then it
wouldn't hurt, if done correctly.
obviously wears of after a while so like you say look after your car and wash and clean it regularly.
biggest thing for me dont go near automatic car washes and be careful with jet washes

I think it's worth it done properly, though I like to keep my car clean and tidy. That's why I would get a trusted detailer to do it, with proper prep.
Each to their own though 😉

The cynic in me believes they have totally tried their luck, with regards the "Mistake" with the price rise, they would have pocketed that extra grand in an instant.
I agree Leni. You were spot on too with the price increase.

One thing that struck me personally, is that when the sales lady read out the invoice to me and then the final price, she looked at the paper and there was a huge 'pregnant pause'. It sat in my mind as if she was thinking "That's not right" or "Hope he does not notice". That coupled with the fact that she had to get her manager to verify the quote before reading it to me.... made me suspicious hence me checking.

All my own view of course and purely that.

I mean, I wouldn’t say £32k is a cheap car. Having owned a couple new cars, they pick up storm chips on the front very quickly from motorways. That’s what I’m wrapping mine for mostly, and parking it in central London.

I mean, I wouldn’t say £32k is a cheap car. Having owned a couple new cars, they pick up storm chips on the front very quickly from motorways. That’s what I’m wrapping mine for mostly, and parking it in central London.
Yes - fair enough. It’s a personal choice after all.

I agree Leni. You were spot on too with the price increase.

One thing that struck me personally, is that when the sales lady read out the invoice to me and then the final price, she looked at the paper and there was a huge 'pregnant pause'. It sat in my mind as if she was thinking "That's not right" or "Hope he does not notice". That coupled with the fact that she had to get her manager to verify the quote before reading it to me.... made me suspicious hence me checking.

All my own view of course and purely that.
That £1000 is better in your pocket mate👍 definitely one of the major pluses of this forum, somone on here will know the answer to a query.
There is also the added bonus of enlightening conversations about protected characteristics and other random subjects 👍

That £1000 is better in your pocket mate👍 definitely one of the major pluses of this forum, somone on here will know the answer to a query.
There is also the added bonus of enlightening conversations about protected characteristics and other random subjects 👍
I totally agree. Only been part of this forum for two days and already I am impressed with the responsive, constructive and informative views of others here. Really looking forward to the future in my MG4 and on this forum too. Thanks folks and 'Happy New Year'

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 541 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back