• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Nov 17th Budget - Tax impact for EVs

It would almost be entertaining reading the comments if it were't so sad and infuriating that so many people have swallowed hook, line and sinker the same outdated rubbish and F.U.D that's been circulating for many years and has proven to be utter nonsense
I try my best not read anything via the BBC, but if any of the comments talk about EVs are vehicles that travel on UK roads, hence should be taxed, that is not a ridiculous opinion, whether someone agrees with it or not.

2025 means it's been kicked into the long grass. It's more of a market calming strategy than a real tax policy. That will only come post the next election.
And by 2025 there's buckleys of the Gov't still being in no 10. Nothing political, but whether it's their fault or not, going into any election with the economic landscape which exits, and probably will do in 2 years time, is game over time.
However, even if the opposition party attain Gov't, I wouldn't bet on them reversing it, given it's a big revenue gainer.

I try my best not read anything via the BBC, but if any of the comments talk about EVs are vehicles that travel on UK roads, hence should be taxed, that is not a ridiculous opinion, whether someone agrees with it or not.
Nope, not comments like that which concern me, because they're entirely true. It's more things along the lines of where the energy is coming from to charge, batteries need replacing every few years, they're dangerous because they're quiet etc etc etc

Nope, not comments like that which concern me, because they're entirely true. It's more things along the lines of where the energy is coming from to charge, batteries need replacing every few years, they're dangerous because they're quiet etc etc etc
Yes, fair enough. You're always going to have uninformed and extremes in any camp.

Still though, whatever the pace of change is or isn't, whether it's inevitable, or not, compared to not so long ago, 'converting' to electric is a darn sigh less attractive that it once was.

The energy price cap will be going up to £3K too from April. Which is a 20% increase to now (and th e £400 hand out won't be repeated). Of course one can't directly gather a standard tariff electric price straight off from that, but it isn't unreasonable to think a 34p/KWH price going to 40p

Last edited:
Basically, workers now will be paying for lockdown. Whether it's from the increased taxes and eventual VED on electric cars, closing up shop for months and months and months (unlike say Sweden, or in Florida) and people having £25K 'dole' to stay at home, well, the chickens have come home to roost. If you're a pensioner or on benefits, bingo, money goes up with inflation, but if you work, you'll be picking up the bill.

While they give people money to stay at home and don't force them to do something for it like sweep the streets or litter pick they will sit on there arses. Sorry just boils my blood that you go to work because you have morals and want to pay your way then government make it so easy for people to stay at home. Thats another discussion area so back to the topic, how the hell can they keep changing what car gets what VED. I have a Mustang 5.0 which was £165 but a ev is the same. Where is the incentive now for anyone to move. People are more thinking about saving money more these days. With the hassle of charging an ev where do they think people will stay ev or ice. I have my Mustang and ordered an MG4 to replace wife's 2 year old Clio so have both ends of the argument.

New EV’s over £40k - which will, let’s face it be the majority soon… will also pay the additional £540/year for years 2-5… meaning pushing £800/year…

Well now that the last cherry on the tree has been took or will be by 2025 the only thing that’s now left as an advantage to owning an EV is we all hope is cheaper servicing costs.
Les

Well now that the last cherry on the tree has been took or will be by 2025 the only thing that’s now left as an advantage to owning an EV is we all hope is cheaper servicing costs.
Les
and potentially cheaper fuel still - I know thats closing a bit at the moment, but electricity should come down if they can break the link to gas prices, and twitter has just found a planned 12p/litre rise in fuel duty next year :ROFLMAO:

Les
Don’t get me started! EV’s require minimal servicing but manufacturers are trying to plug this with unnecessarily short service intervals and by making up things to do….

Last edited:
Les
And i can really see dealerships happily losing revenue compared to the petrol/diesel car which they service today. Nope, I woudn't be surprised if those prices normalize too.

If you're a pensioner or on benefits, bingo, money goes up with inflation, but if you work, you'll be picking up the bill.
As a pensioner myself now, I do welcome the rise in line with inflation of course.
But remember, you have to count yourself lucky to still be alive to collect your state pension these days, as the government keeps moving the goal posts on the state pension age, further and further out !.
Have personally seen some of my close friends pass away prematurely, prior to receiving the pension that they had contributed into all of their working lives, then thank yourself very lucky that you are in good health and able to work.
My parents had to gain permission from my head master, to allow me to leave school before the end of term, in order for me to start an apprenticeship that I had secured for myself, at the young tender age of 15 years.
I was in full employment until my retirement, so I think I have paid my way in life, but are likely seen as a drain on the system now.
Remember the increase in inflation is not due until April 2023 but we are paying the higher cost of living rises right now !.
I wonder if the energy company and the super markets will wait to get paid until April 🤣.

Last edited:
Starting to have second thoughts about our MG4 order now too. We currently pay £20 a year for our dirty diesel 2015 Focus.

Will be paying £145 more a year with the MG4 from 2025, by the sounds of things. I guess they won’t be getting my growth into the automobile industry.

How is a dirty diesel cheaper to keep than an EV…? Madness.
It's not, next to no servicing costs and vastly cheaper fuelling costs, if you charge mainly at home, mean it'll be an order of magnitude cheaper to run.

Les
What? It's currently still only 10p per kWh to charge at home overnight even after the cost increases, that's at least six times less than an efficient diesel!

It's not, next to no servicing costs and vastly cheaper fuelling costs, if you charge mainly at home, mean it'll be an order of magnitude cheaper to run.
1) Check out the servicing cost threads- vastly different across different dealers. 'Change your dealer' might not work if their local dealer is expensive, if that someone has then has to travel shed loads to get to the 'cheaper' one.

2) Depends on what energy plan they're on, and depends on if they need to 'fill up' when up and about. Flat rate energy price of 34p and counting, plus those 70-80p publics in some places (watch those when the cap increases next April), it ain't the elixir for everyone.

And i can really see dealerships happily losing revenue compared to the petrol/diesel car which they service today. Nope, I woudn't be surprised if those prices normalize too.
Nope, they're already bilking as much as possible from doing next to nothing, and it's still loads cheaper. There's nothing more they can get at this point.

Having a Tesla, I don't even have to worry about that BS, as there's no mandatory servicing and the recommended bits can be done myself with no threat of warranty removal. ;)

1) Check out the servicing cost threads- vastly different across different dealers. 'Change your dealer' might not work if their local dealer is expensive, if that someone has then has to travel shed loads to get to the 'cheaper' one.

2) Depends on what energy plan they're on, and depends on if they need to 'fill up' when up and about. Flat rate energy price of 34p and counting, plus those 70-80p publics in some places (watch those when the cap increases next April), it ain't the elixir for everyone.
Not everyone, but for a large percentage, absolutely. Anyway, it's not all about saving money for those of us who give a s*** about humans having a future on the planet.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom