Nov 17th Budget - Tax impact for EVs

Nope, they're already bilking as much as possible from doing next to nothing, and it's still loads cheaper. There's nothing more they can get at this point.
Loads cheaper, some of these dudes getting £530 for 3 services lol

Anyway, it's not all about saving money for those of us who give a s*** about humans having a future on the planet.
Yes, they said that about diesels.

And if you're that concerned, sell your ICE car.
🥱

Loads cheaper, some of these dudes getting £530 for 3 services lol

I suppose it's all relative, my last petrol car, an Audi A8 was almost that figure for the 12 month minor service which wasn't much more than an oil change! My servicing cost now is zero apart from my own time cleaning the brakes once every year and a half or so.

Also, to be fair the 3 year servicing costs for an average petrol car are way, way, over £530.

I suppose it's all relative, my last petrol car, an Audi A8 was almost that figure for the 12 month minor service which wasn't much more than an oil change! My servicing cost now is zero apart from my own time cleaning the brakes once every year and a half or so.

Also, to be fair the 3 year servicing costs for an average petrol car are way, way, over £530.
Looking at my receipts, my ND: 1st = £205 2nd: £315 3rd £215
Total £735
'Way, way, over £530??
Maybe, maybe not. But if saving £205 over 3 years would convert someone, the jury still out on that one.

lol! fair enough, my memory is crap.. 🤪
Hey, so is min ?????? ...........what was I going to say ? :ROFLMAO: .
Like when I climb to the top of the stairs and then ask myself, why am I up here ???.
Pause for a while and decide to go back downstairs.
As soon as you reach the bottom, you suddenly remember and have to go back up again :ROFLMAO: !.
Come on ................. I know you have done it yourselves folks ;).

Like when I climb to the top of the stairs and then ask myself, why am I up here ???.
As soon as you reach the bottom, you suddenly remember and have to go back up again :ROFLMAO: !.
Well thankfully, I can't recall that last podcast 🥴🥸

I sorted that problem about 33 years ago when I purchased a bungalow, so when I vist my sons home now, after 2 days in a three-storey home I’m checking the opening times to the nearest A&E.
Les

With current public charging prices and fossil fuels having dropped in price a bit, I'm not so sure the price advantage is so great, when you have to spend tens of thousands on the car in the first place.

Saving the planet as a sales pitch doesn't work for many either.

I did note however that they predicted that 50% of new car sales will be EVs by 2025.
It's not that the suggested tax is particularly high, but it's these little additions to the cost overall. The advantage appears to really only be there based on circumstance, such as charging at home? In that case seemingly you can rake back the premium for buying an EV within a reasonable timeframe... If you're reliant on public charging, then not so much.

Whilst it seems a 23% increase in fuel duty rate could be on the horizon early 2023, even at £2 per litre I would have to go some distance to spend the £10k+ premium for buying a ZS EV over the petrol version. So with rising energy costs and other benefits gradually being eroded, it's becoming less and less worthwhile to not just buy a petrol car :unsure:

What am I missing? In a financial sense, not an eco warrior's. Any economists here?

Calculating Figure It Out GIF

Edited to add a link to the OBR economic and fiscal outlook which mentions fuel duty among other things, for anyone interested in reading the report themselves.

Last edited:
It's not that the suggested tax is particularly high, but it's these little additions to the cost overall. The advantage appears to really only be there based on circumstance, such as charging at home? In that case seemingly you can rake back the premium for buying an EV within a reasonable timeframe... If you're reliant on public charging, then not so much.

Whilst it seems a 23% increase in fuel duty rate could be on the horizon early 2023, even at £2 per litre I would have to go some distance to spend the £10k+ premium for buying a ZS EV over the petrol version. So with rising energy costs and other benefits gradually being eroded, it's becoming less and less worthwhile to not just buy a petrol car :unsure:

What am I missing? In a financial sense, not an eco warrior's. Any economists here?

Calculating Figure It Out GIF
Have you test driven the petrol ZS? I have, just for comparison when I bought my ZS EV. Trust me, you wouldn't want one, they have a really crappy drivetrain.

To your question, if I didn't care about the environment, couldn't charge at home, and didn't have much money, I'd buy a Petrol. (Frankly, if I didn't have off road parking, I'd run a really cheap old banger as I'd never leave a nice car out on the public highway subject to any passing idiots)

I did enjoy this video from Modern Hero's.
He did make some good points on the VED and how he thinks of the lack of real interest from the government in cutting co/2 emissions in real terms, and how it now offers a incentive to buy a derv van, over a EV van maybe ?.

Have you test driven the petrol ZS? I have, just for comparison when I bought my ZS EV. Trust me, you wouldn't want one, they have a really crappy drivetrain.

To your question, if I didn't care about the environment, couldn't charge at home, and didn't have much money, I'd buy a Petrol. (Frankly, if I didn't have off road parking, I'd run a really cheap old banger as I'd never leave a nice car out on the public highway subject to any passing idiots)
Yep, I have - let's just say it lacked a little welly :LOL:. I'd suck it up and use it though, if budget determined that to be the best option. With ever decreasing EV ownership incentives, an ICE car (even if not this one) is still turning out to be a competitive choice.

Yep, I have - let's just say it lacked a little welly :LOL:. I'd suck it up and use it though, if budget determined that to be the best option. With ever decreasing EV ownership incentives, an ICE car (even if not this one) is still turning out to be a competitive choice.
The 1L manual turbo one isn't that bad. You get the sunroof and decent interior on that, too. It's that 1.5 naturally aspirated one which is the horror.

Whilst it seems a 23% increase in fuel duty rate could be on the horizon early 2023,
Maybe blind optimism on my part, but I'd be surprised if that comes into fruition in a cost of living crisis. Fuel duty hasn't been increased in years, and of course 5p was taken off earlier in the year, not that anyone noticed as it's been a nice little earlier for the stations. The back benchers would be in uproar over that. Very shifty how he never directly mentioned it in his 'speech'. Again though, who knows these days.

As a pensioner myself now, I do welcome the rise in line with inflation of course.
But remember, you have to count yourself lucky to still be alive to collect your state pension these days, as the government keeps moving the goal posts on the state pension age, further and further out !.
Have personally seen some of my close friends pass away prematurely, prior to receiving the pension that they had contributed into all of their working lives, then thank yourself very lucky that you are in good health and able to work.
My parents had to gain permission from my head master, to allow me to leave school before the end of term, in order for me to start an apprenticeship that I had secured for myself, at the young tender age of 15 years.
I was in full employment until my retirement, so I think I have paid my way in life, but are likely seen as a drain on the system now.
Remember the increase in inflation is not due until April 2023 but we are paying the higher cost of living rises right now !.
I wonder if the energy company and the super markets will wait to get paid until April 🤣.
well said in reply to a rather mean-spirited comment

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom