Octopus Go

It says I can't use Octopus intelligent with my MG4 and Anderson v2 charger. Is it the charger that isn't compatible?
You need an Ohme charger for Octopus Intelligent so they can control when it charges the car although there are rumours that they are working with myenergi to make the Zappi compatible in the near future.

It says I can't use Octopus intelligent with my MG4 and Anderson v2 charger. Is it the charger that isn't compatible?
You need a compatible charger (currently only Ohme) or a compatible vehicle.

MG are not listed, MGs without an app (early models) have zero chance of ever being compatible, but the later ones have an outside chance, but it does require MG to communicate with Octopus.

You need either a compatible charger OR a compatible car. They are adding many cars every month, keep checking for MG and see if it's been added. In the meantime, GO is a close second best tariff.

You need an Ohme charger for Octopus Intelligent so they can control when it charges the car although there are rumours that they are working with myenergi to make the Zappi compatible in the near future.
Yep, either a compatible charger or a compatible car from their list. My Hypervolt and MG4 are not on their list, so I'm not allowed in !

Quite annoying as Go is currently 9.5 overnight but intelligent is 7.5 and has a larger window too.

The latest from the myenergi forums on Zappi IO support: "Development is going well. To get a tight integration with IO we agreed to extend our API. This is taken a bit of work but will give a better result. Octopus now working hard on the integration with alpha testing late July and beta testing following a couple of weeks later"

So... looks like Aug/Sep.

I looked into the different Octopus tariffs to see if they would be better than the EDF tariff I am on at the moment.

When I look at a 24 hour period, the Octopus win. However, the EDF tariff gives me Friday night from 22:00, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning to 08:00 on the off peak, which means over a 7 day period EDF works out cheaper for me.

I looked into the different Octopus tariffs to see if they would be better than the EDF tariff I am on at the moment.

When I look at a 24 hour period, the Octopus win. However, the EDF tariff gives me Friday night from 22:00, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning to 08:00 on the off peak, which means over a 7 day period EDF works out cheaper for me.
That's interesting what tariff is that please?

That's interesting what tariff is that please?
Eco 20/20. I was originally on their EV tariff but was put on to this one when everything went pear shaped.

Peak rate is 40.71p/kWh, and off peak is 14.11p/kWh.
Off peak is 10 hours weekdays and all weekend. So although the hourly rates are more, over the week it works out less.

This is from the bill:

What times do the different prices for my electricity apply?

All times are GMT
Meter: 19L3366331 Tariff: Eco20:20
Day: Mon.-Fri. 0700-2100
EWE: 24 hours a day all weekend & Mon.-Fri. 2100-0700

These times are based on the most up to date information we have. They may vary because of things beyond
our control. If you have any questions please call us.

Eco 20/20. I was originally on their EV tariff but was put on to this one when everything went pear shaped.

Peak rate is 40.71p/kWh, and off peak is 14.11p/kWh.
Off peak is 10 hours weekdays and all weekend. So although the hourly rates are more, over the week it works out less.

This is from the bill:

What times do the different prices for my electricity apply?

All times are GMT
Meter: 19L3366331 Tariff: Eco20:20
Day: Mon.-Fri. 0700-2100
EWE: 24 hours a day all weekend & Mon.-Fri. 2100-0700

These times are based on the most up to date information we have. They may vary because of things beyond
our control. If you have any questions please call us.
I'm on E.ONs Next Flex Drive whose off peak is from midnight to 7:00 which suits me because I'm usually up at 6:00 so I can shower and put a wash on at the cheap rate as well as have the bread machine timed to run during those hours.

Their day rate is 41.33p/kWh and their off peak is 10.00p/kWh

I'm on E.ONs Next Flex Drive whose off peak is from midnight to 7:00 which suits me because I'm usually up at 6:00 so I can shower and put a wash on at the cheap rate as well as have the bread machine timed to run during those hours.

Their day rate is 41.33p/kWh and their off peak is 10.00p/kWh
Ha! I just switched to Octopus because I was told that Eon Next didn't have a car tariff...

So how does intelligence work on say washing machines, dishwashers overnight. On Octopus Go I have a set flat time, anything I do in that time overnight is on yhe cheap rate. So if my car or charger isn't compatible and therefore I can't go on it, how does it work on everything else?

Intelligent is 2330-0530hrs, that is guaranteed intelligent just works to stop start and pick the best times during that period, to charge your car, in an effort to help balance the grid. (That's why it needs the ability to interact with the car or charger)
Everything else during that period is on the overnight rate.
Intelligent can also give you extra periods at the cheap rate (out with the 2330-0530 times)

So how does intelligence work on say washing machines, dishwashers overnight. On Octopus Go I have a set flat time, anything I do in that time overnight is on yhe cheap rate. So if my car or charger isn't compatible and therefore I can't go on it, how does it work on everything else?
Unfortunately if you don't have a car or charger compatible with IO you can't join the tariff. But if you could you get 6 hours off peak power for your whole household consumption so any appliances etc used overnight is charged at the cheap rate.

The intelligent bit is it might charge your car not in the key off peak hours if it makes sense in terms of use on the grid etc but you'd still only pay the off-peak rate.

It was pointed out to me, when my Go tariff ended, that going forward none of the tariffs are fixed periods...

It was pointed out to me, when my Go tariff ended, that going forward none of the tariffs are fixed periods...
Octopus just offered me a fixed term, fixed rate, gas/electric tarrif, with a significant exit fee.

My understanding is Go will shift to a variable rate tarrif rather than a fixed rate/term.

For me, I rarely charge at home, but I load shift as much as I can to the off-peak, so my average cost per kw is still lower than a standard tarrif. I still want to stick with the EV tarrif, because if I do charge at home, I want it on an off-peak tarrif.

Octopus just offered me a fixed term, fixed rate, gas/electric tarrif, with a significant exit fee.

My understanding is Go will shift to a variable rate tarrif rather than a fixed rate/term.

For me, I rarely charge at home, but I load shift as much as I can to the off-peak, so my average cost per kw is still lower than a standard tarrif. I still want to stick with the EV tarrif, because if I do charge at home, I want it on an off-peak tarrif.
When did Octopus start using exit fees?

When did Octopus start using exit fees?

I got the the text below and a link to the current fixes available. Exit fee or £75/fuel and includes switching tarrif as well as moving to a new supplier.

If you simply can’t afford to risk prices rising again, we are offering fixed price tariffs to existing customers.

The fixed prices we can offer change unpredictably and regularly — often daily — based on the latest wholesale costs. When you sign-up to a fixed term, we’ll set aside a year’s worth of energy for you — so if you change your mind during your fixed term, and swap tariff or supplier, there is an early exit fee that helps cover some of that cost

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom