Octopus Intelligent Go says No

Wendwell

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I applied to Octopus Intelligent Go and was told they could not yet take on my model, a 2023 MG5 Trophy Estate Long Range. It seems strange that other MG owners are reporting being taken on.

Are the charging configurations for MG models that different?

I am assuming my problem is the model of car and not the charger, a Zappi, as Zappis have a large share of the charger market.

I applied to Octopus Intelligent Go and was told they could not yet take on my model, a 2023 MG5 Trophy Estate Long Range. It seems strange that other MG owners are reporting being taken on.

Are the charging configurations for MG models that different?

I am assuming my problem is the model of car and not the charger, a Zappi, as Zappis have a large share of the charger market.
Did they not give you a reason?

Upvote 0
It should work with a Zappi charger but as others say when you go through the set up make sure that the Zappi is the primary device.
I set my early 53Kw MG5 and Zappi to IOG at the start of the month
I had been previously using octopus go, the switch over was instant although i had a few problems with the APP not loading correctly
All works great now and now paying less than 2.5p per mile in the winter

Upvote 0
Intelligent and Go are different tariffs. To get Intelligent you need either a compatible car or charger (or both). The MG5 is not compatible so you need to have a charger that is - e.g. Zappi.

If you have neither you cannot choose Octopus Intelligent but can have Octopus Go.

Upvote 0
Intelligent and Go are different tariffs. To get Intelligent you need either a compatible car or charger (or both). The MG5 is not compatible so you need to have a charger that is - e.g. Zappi.

If you have neither you cannot choose Octopus Intelligent but can have Octopus Go.

To confuse matters, octopus renamed their products.

Go became 'flexible go' no longer a 12 month fix (means you're included in the price cap) and the rates are reviewed quarterly.

Intelligent became 'intelligent go' not sure if they changed anything fundamental beyond the name with this one.

Intelligent go is the cheaper of the 2 but access is gated behind compatible chargers or vehicles. Pre-fl MGs will never be compatible due to lacking api hardware, post face-lift models with apps may at some point but it would require MG to provide access to Octopus and currently that doesn't look likely.

Upvote 0

Go became 'flexible go' no longer a 12 month fix (means you're included in the price cap) and the rates are reviewed quarterly.

Intelligent became 'intelligent go' not sure if they changed anything fundamental beyond the name with this one.

Intelligent go is the cheaper of the 2 but access is gated behind compatible chargers or vehicles. Pre-fl MGs will never be compatible due to lacking api hardware, post face-lift models with apps may at some point but it would require MG to provide access to Octopus and currently that doesn't look likely.
Thanks for clarifying, that must have been a quite recent change as I was looking about 3 months ago and they were still Intelligent and Go at that time. In the end we went with British Gas EV tariff because neither the MG5 or our Podpoint charger were compatible with Intelligent. The BG tariff was not as good as Intelligent but offered better rates and longer cheap rate period than the Go tariff.

Upvote 0
I recently signed up to IOG using a Zappi. I have a pre face-lift MG5 SR.
I have a pre facelift MG5 LR on IOG. How do you stop a charge all the way to 100%. The IO is a slippery thing and seems eager to charge all the way, as it can't know the charge level. I have suggested to Octopus that we have the option to request, say 20KWh rather than a percentage.

Upvote 0
I have a pre facelift MG5 LR on IOG. How do you stop a charge all the way to 100%. The IO is a slippery thing and seems eager to charge all the way, as it can't know the charge level. I have suggested to Octopus that we have the option to request, say 20KWh rather than a percentage.
20Kw on a 60Kw battery= 33%. Just change the requested amount to 33% and voilà

Upvote 0
But IO can't know what you start with? That's the bit I am confused about. Does it just add in 33% of whatever your maximum capacity is? So if you start with 10KWh, in your example would it add 20KWh, leaving with with 30KWh at the end of the charge? I get my first bill in a few days which will be interesting.

Upvote 0
The irony is that once you are on the OIG tariff you can charge any EV and also use the cheaper tariff window - just turn off the Octopus devices in the app and use scheduled charging on your car or wall box…

Upvote 0

my pre face lift MG ZS is compatible with octopus intelligent go as I have an Ohm charger which handles the spart charging via the Ohm app

Upvote 0
As others have said, work out kWh as a percentage, just jot a few figures on a bit of paper as a chart

Upvote 0
When you signed up the system asked you what ev and model you have
I have an old Mg 5 with a 53KW battery and a zappi charger
When setting the App the % charge is based upon the registered car so in my case 10% = 5.3 Kw
Before charging i look at the battery state meter in the car. say it is at 30% I want an 80% charged car in the morning so I ask the system to add a 50% charge.
In the morning the car will be showing a charge level of approx 80 % Great
If you look at the app (same page you set up the charge level the previous day) it should show you how many Kwh were put in.
Note if you charge another EV using your charge point the % may be different . If the second vehicle has a bigger battery than yours it will under charge, if it has a smaller battery it will overcharge.

Upvote 0
When you signed up the system asked you what ev and model you have
I have an old Mg 5 with a 53KW battery and a zappi charger
When setting the App the % charge is based upon the registered car so in my case 10% = 5.3 Kw
Before charging i look at the battery state meter in the car. say it is at 30% I want an 80% charged car in the morning so I ask the system to add a 50% charge.
In the morning the car will be showing a charge level of approx 80 % Great
If you look at the app (same page you set up the charge level the previous day) it should show you how many Kwh were put in.
Note if you charge another EV using your charge point the % may be different . If the second vehicle has a bigger battery than yours it will under charge, if it has a smaller battery it will overcharge.
That's really helpful, thank you ! 👍

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom