One Pedal Driving

Can you confirm that you have actually witnessed this?

I ask as I have worried that cars driving too close (tailgating) are possibly going to rear end me when I lift off the accelerator (regen 3) as they don’t have any other indication I’m slowing down.
Does it also illuminate the brake lights when slowing down quickly using ACC?

Yes, I’ve followed my own MG4 and seen the brake lights coming on when the driver lifted off the throttle.
Try it yourself, easy enough to see with the ludicrously bright brake lights fitted to cars these days.

I ask as I have worried that cars driving too close (tailgating) are possibly going to rear end me when I lift off the accelerator (regen 3) as they don’t have any other indication I’m slowing down.
At night I've seen it light up the following car.

I was following a Leaf on a winding road a couple of weeks ago and wondered at the odd braking pattern suggested by the irregular illumination of the brake lights. Then I realised the driver wasn't braking, but when he took his foot off the accelerator the brake lights were coming on because of the regenerative braking.

I've never been conscious of being dazzled by brake lights, even when behind someone who kept his foot on the brake at traffic lights. I don't thing they're bright enough to be a dazzle hazard in most cars.

You’re maybe right, they wanted a predictable regen level as the default.
But choosing the heaviest one as the default is still bizarre. 🤷‍♂️

I actually asked the dealer about this when I had my handover. (I was given a decent slice of time and a good going-through most of the features.) He said he thought they were just trying to go for the last drop of economy possible from the regen.

I've heard good things about the adaptive regen, but because it's not on by default I haven't really tried it. What's the difference you feel from the default setting?

I believe all EV makers use the motor during braking yes.
I don’t think any go straight to hydraulic brakes only, that wouldn’t make any sense and would totally waste braking energy.

I didn't know that. Interesting. But I do see up to about -24% on the power indicator while I'm braking.

If battery was fully charged in your test drive there would be no noticeable regeneration. There has to be some room for the regenerated electrons to go. Using an ICE analogy: you can’t put an extra gallon /litre in an already full tank.
You've misunderstood my post ... during the test drive the car was in default regen 3, so approaching roundabouts the car slowed down without using the brakes. On switching to adaptive regen was when I encountered the different behaviour.

The no regen when 100% charged was what caught me out when I collected my new car. 🙄😂

In all the excitement of handover, and the car being in READY state for a while before I actually started driving, and it being my first ever EV so this wouldn't even occur to me, No. :)

My car wasn't at 100% when I took delivery - quite high, I can't remember how much, but certainly under 95%. Maybe the dealer did that on purpose? I drove home - about 22 miles - and decided to charge up to 100% to make sure it worked. So it was the next morning (after having had to call the dealer to ask how to get the granny connector out of the car's charging port) when I set off that I saw the warning.

If you watch in your mirror at night you can see exactly when the brake lights come on when you lift off.

Has anybody had any confirmation as to whether the latest update will give one pedal mode to existing mg4’s? Mine going in for an update on Tuesday. I’ll ask then

Has anybody had any confirmation as to whether the latest update will give one pedal mode to existing mg4’s? Mine going in for an update on Tuesday. I’ll ask then
Infotainment update alone -- I doubt it, but combine that with some module updates and maybe? Couple people on the facebook group say their dealers have informed them it can be done as an update on cars and one has theirs booked in on the 25th for it... will be interesting to see the outcome for them -- and if it is possible i'll definitely be chasing my dealer up!

Hello everyone, I am a new owner from yesterday of mg4 standard new model, the car has the option to one pedale drive, but activating it I get this message (for non-Italian users function not available, low charging power) I called the dealer but as expected, at least in Italy, they do not know anything, they told me to charge the car to 100% (now it is 96%) it seems a strange thing ..... Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20230728_075310.jpg
    IMG_20230728_075310.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 124
Hello everyone, I am a new owner from yesterday of mg4 standard new model, the car has the option to one pedale drive, but activating it I get this message (for non-Italian users function not available, low charging power) I called the dealer but as expected, at least in Italy, they do not know anything, they told me to charge the car to 100% (now it is 96%) it seems a strange thing ..... Thank you
As one pedal driving uses regenerative braking to achieve that función, if the car is at 100% soc or close to it then there can be no regenerative braking as the battery is full so cannot accept the charge from regereative braking. Therefore I imaging this is the reason you are getting this message, try it with your battery at a lower state of charge

As one pedal driving uses regenerative braking to achieve that función, if the car is at 100% soc or close to it then there can be no regenerative braking as the battery is full so cannot accept the charge from regereative braking. Therefore I imaging this is the reason you are getting this message, try it with your battery at a lower state of charge
Thank you very much for the reply, I had imagined such a thing but I wanted confirmation from the dealer but as expected, at least in Italy, you know more about the forum than them

Thank you very much for the reply, I had imagined such a thing but I wanted confirmation from the dealer but as expected, at least in Italy, you know more about the forum than them
Not just in Italy, UK too. I hope this fixes it for you. Thanks for asking the question, it helps inform everyone.

Some weeks ago I was following a Leaf along a rather windy country road, and the brake lights were coming on in a really weird pattern. I mean, why was the driver braking? Except, I realised that he wasn't, but rather that every time he took his foot off the accelerator, the regen was turning his brake lights on.

Good morning everyone, a strange thing has been happening to me for two days, even if the battery is at 76% it tells me that it is not possible to enable driving with one pedal, the function has always been activated even with a percentage of 80%, I don't know whether the drop in temperature over the past few days may have influenced the activation of this function, it has always worked properly but since the last charge I did on Wednesday the function is starting to do strange things, it has also happened to someone else ? Thank you

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back