Open Tesla Supercharge Issues

MG - having read the thread above this is exactly why I will not use my MG on a road trip. Instead I use our other EV and have granted my kids insurance to use anything but the MG on any trip that involves charging on the road.

Your software needed to be updated and be transparent on the compatibility with charging networks. I have found the whole experience owning an MG opaque.

MG - you exist at an attractive pricing point but this is not an excuse for poor reliable or customer service.
Just driven all over France charging 20 times on multiple networks and makes of charger in our mk1 zs ev and charging was super easy with just a tap of the Chargemap card. Tesla ones don’t work for us but all the others were new and working and available. Did 2500 km and can’t wait to do it all again! Long distance is easy once you are out of the uk!

Just driven all over France charging 20 times on multiple networks and makes of charger in our mk1 zs ev and charging was super easy with just a tap of the Chargemap card. Tesla ones don’t work for us but all the others were new and working and available. Did 2500 km and can’t wait to do it all again! Long distance is easy once you are out of the uk!
what was the max charge rate you achieved? Should be 76kw.

The network is less a problem in Europe but the charging speed on my ZS is really poor.

Agree that European trip are a breeze. Worked for 4 year in NL and now France drive over most of the time every week. Not in MG. My round trip to France is 1200 mile - get to le Touquet from the midlands before 1st charge and reassured that once in France I’m charge CO2 free.

what was the max charge rate you achieved? Should be 76kw.

The network is less a problem in Europe but the charging speed on my ZS is really poor.

Agree that European trip are a breeze. Worked for 4 year in NL and now France drive over most of the time every week. Not in MG. My round trip to France is 1200 mile - get to le Touquet from the midlands before 1st charge and reassured that once in France I’m charge CO2 free.
I think my max speed was usually around 60-65 which is actually fatate than I usually get in U.K. but we were driving all day so battery nice and warm.

I think my max speed was usually around 60-65 which is actually fatate than I usually get in U.K. but we were driving all day so battery nice and warm.
My daughter did a fastcharge at InstaVolt. 150kw station last week.

21kwh took 1hr 1 minute. Crap.

Put another way 50% charge takes 1 hour. 100% forget it - no one can wait that long.

MG have had the car in 4 times now for this fault and still say there is no problem. This is why we will never use MG on road trip - charging speed is far to slow. Car does not meet specification.

Do any other early ZsEV / 2019/2020 have the same problem.

Ps data is easy to get from you charge invoice.

I have used our Mk1 for several long trips in UK, from Oxford to Rock in Cornwall. I have found charging from say 20% to 80% takes about 25 mins. Getting easier to find ones that actually work now. It does not put me off going long distance, but one does have to prepare properly and plan where to stop to charge.

Just checked on the Tesla app and as of 21/8 it's listing all these as available for non-Tesla's (see black bar at bottom of screen) ... be good if we had a sticky post somewhere listing the latest software versions so we know how far out of date our respective vehicles are (mine says R16 at the end - collected as ex-demo at the end of March 2023) ... if there genuinely is an update for 2022 ZS LR that will unlock the 'open' Tesla chargers I'd be happy to pay for my dealer to update now rather than wait until Feb 2024 for the next/first service !

IMG_5287.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_5247.png
    IMG_5247.png
    501.2 KB · Views: 90
BodgerX
Is that the one near the BMW dealer near crittles corner.?
Yep, that's the one.
Plenty of free spaces on an early Saturday evening.. guessing that's why it's opened to non Tesla's.

Just checked on the Tesla app and as of 21/8 it's listing all these as available for non-Tesla's (see black bar at bottom of screen) ... be good if we had a sticky post somewhere listing the latest software versions so we know how far out of date our respective vehicles are (mine says R16 at the end - collected as ex-demo at the end of March 2023) ... if there genuinely is an update for 2022 ZS LR that will unlock the 'open' Tesla chargers I'd be happy to pay for my dealer to update now rather than wait until Feb 2024 for the next/first service !

View attachment 19692
Difficulty here is that I think multiple updates are required, e.g. body control module etc.

I think multiple updates are required, e.g. body control module etc.
I don't know one way or the other, but I can't see how the body control module could affect whether it will accept a Tesla supercharger or not.

My guess is that it's purely a protocol issue, and it seems to me that this would be located in just one ECU's firmware. I suppose that other ECUs might affect the timing of certain things like locking the cable, but that seems unlikely to me to be relevant to the supercharger problem.

I don't know one way or the other, but I can't see how the body control module could affect whether it will accept a Tesla supercharger or not.

My guess is that it's purely a protocol issue, and it seems to me that this would be located in just one ECU's firmware. I suppose that other ECUs might affect the timing of certain things like locking the cable, but that seems unlikely to me to be relevant to the supercharger problem.
According to the 12 June podcast what the Burnley guys updated was the DCU, EVCC, CCU, BMS and the BCM ... think I'll pop round to the dealers and see what the service desk says about how long and how much £ for something out of service cycle ...

According to the 12 June podcast what the Burnley guys updated was the DCU, EVCC, CCU, BMS and the BCM ... think I'll pop round to the dealers and see what the service desk says about how long and how much £ for something out of service cycle ...
Exactly... wether the body control module update one is the specific update that cures it is irrelevant but I think they have to update them all.

Upshot is for me I have zero issues with Tesla chargers. My car was updated in December with the whole suite of updates

According to the dealer I visited there is a “campaign” for this issue with 4 updates.

Although the dealer was unable to apply the updates in the 7 hours they had the car but that’s another story :(

Exactly... wether the body control module update one is the specific update that cures it is irrelevant but I think they have to update them all.

Upshot is for me I have zero issues with Tesla chargers. My car was updated in December with the whole suite of updates
Cool - what versions of the MPU/MCU are you showing out of interest ? ... I'm not sure that the info screens display any other version data (other than maps) ?

I have had the first service on my TCLR. I was advised that apart from any MG general updates free at point of the service the cost of enabling Tesla compatibility would be £120 and that was MG UKs charge to the dealer. I had it done and it works perfectly in conjunction the an account opened on the Tesla App.

I have had the first service on my TCLR. I was advised that apart from any MG general updates free at point of the service the cost of enabling Tesla compatibility would be £120 and that was MG UKs charge to the dealer. I had it done and it works perfectly in conjunction the an account opened on the Tesla App.
WHAT I cannot believe that MG are charging customers, to allow their cars to use Tesla charging points what ever next. This is not on in my book.
Les

WHAT I cannot believe that MG are charging customers, to allow their cars to use Tesla charging points what ever next. This is not on in my book.
Les
Les, I think as with everything MG UK does there is no rhyme or reason to their charging policies. I did not fight as time was not on my side, I could not gamble on any service updates possibly solving the Tesla issue. We are off on a driving holiday in France and a couple of Tesla sites fit a few gaps in our route perfectly.
I can assure you that this MG UK decision will be remembered when I next look to change my car.

Les, I think as with everything MG UK does there is no rhyme or reason to their charging policies. I did not fight as time was not on my side, I could not gamble on any service updates possibly solving the Tesla issue. We are off on a driving holiday in France and a couple of Tesla sites fit a few gaps in our route perfectly.
I can assure you that this MG UK decision will be remembered when I next look to change my car.
Hi no you my friend are not in anyway to blame for anything j totally understand why you had it done in your shoes and the trip you are taking I would most likely done the same but MG UK well I’m like you when the times right I might we’ll be looking elsewhere for sure because the aftersales across the range as been a disaster at times.
Les

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom