OVO good News 10p anytime

Its bloody confusing Gomev!! :)

I was on Octopus Flexible and my last bill was for
323kwh @ 65.23p/pwh less 31.84 EPG (total charged to me was 32.39p)

Intelligent Octopus
380kwh @ 32.5p (they average the 10p and 42p energy usage!)
Energy price guarantee is not listed as a separate line item like previous power bills!

Which just makes this all even more confusing and Id like to think Im not a complete and total dumb ass! :rolleyes: o_O

Its bloody confusing Gomev!! :)

I was on Octopus Flexible and my last bill was for
323kwh @ 65.23p/pwh less 31.84 EPG (total charged to me was 32.39p)

Intelligent Octopus
380kwh @ 32.5p (they average the 10p and 42p energy usage!)
Energy price guarantee is not listed as a separate line item like previous power bills!

Which just makes this all even more confusing and Id like to think Im not a complete and total dumb ass! :rolleyes: o_O
That's because the EPG only applies to the Standard Variable Rate (SVR) tariff i.e flexible...nothing else.

Ignore the combined price/consumption, no idea why they put that in, but the bill still shows consumption and rate for both, x kwh @ 41p and x kwh @10p

Trick is to lie to it just set to 90% and end time say 14h a head or even 10h charger thinks it's got that time to add 90% but in reality you probably only need 30% or the other trick is just give your self 1h set at 30% when you plug charger in I will message you you if the car is scheduled charging but it will not be ended in time and it automatically changes the end time as long as it's scheduled i.e. charging of a green light or paused with a blue light it's 10 p if it's a red light it's full price
So I tried the trick of schedule one hour for 35% and it worked out the timings and gave it 4h.
However now it’s jumped and re scheduled for another 12h….

Attachments

• D5D072EE-1D4D-4EBC-A0AC-1B03710FCBDA.png
    D5D072EE-1D4D-4EBC-A0AC-1B03710FCBDA.png
    855.3 KB · Views: 75
So I tried the trick of schedule one hour for 35% and it worked out the timings and gave it 4h.
However now it’s jumped and re scheduled for another 12h….
Looks like your green energy switch is on? Or maybe you have more than one schedule switched on?
I have not had that happen probably as I set my schedule for 90% 200miles ish also check your settings the only time mine flat lines is when car hits limit set on car
Screenshot_20230311-183345.png
Screenshot_20230311-183243.png

As you can see I have set to 2100 this works real well for day charging but will still work for over night charging
(This is my only schedule as it works so well no matter what time I plug in) try it you have nothing to lose

Last edited:
Green energy off and only one schedule set

Attachments

• 8E2AEF2A-9E4E-4288-855F-9B9A8B200C29.png
    8E2AEF2A-9E4E-4288-855F-9B9A8B200C29.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 76
I think setting high limit on ohme will work better for you
I mean it is already set to 100%. The current state of charge is 82%. It just keeps extending and extending. I suspect it’s my homeplugs that are interrupting the signal but it’s a bummer to keep turning them all off each time.
I’ll stick to night charging!

I mean it is already set to 100%. The current state of charge is 82%. It just keeps extending and extending. I suspect it’s my homeplugs that are interrupting the signal but it’s a bummer to keep turning them all off each time.
I was going by your screen shot +87miles that what suggests a schedule of 38% to add

It's not car limit I am talking about it's schedule limit on the Ohme as you can see I set mine to 90% all the time even if I only need to add 20% to car
Ah gotcha. Thanks for the advice. I’ll try that too. I guess I can then set the car to cut it off at 80% but set the Ohme app to try for +90%. I’ll report back!

What do you mean by homeplugs ?

Well known problem that powerline plugs affect MG's charging, if that is what you mean by homeplugs.

Well known problem that powerline plugs affect MG's charging, if that is what you mean by homeplugs.

Perhaps more accurate to say "can affect MG's charging"!! ;);)

I have Powerline plugs and a Rolec charger. Possibly because the charger communicates via mobile phone signal rather than WiFi I don't experience any problem of interference between it and those plugs.

I have Powerline plugs and a Rolec charger. Possibly because the charger communicates via mobile phone signal rather than WiFi I don't experience any problem of interference between it and those plugs.
Yep that was my thought. My charger uses the phone network and not wifi afaik.

Im in the process of switching to Ovo and have looked at the FAQ which says switching and setting an account up can take up to 4-6 weeks before I can add the EV charge any time rate.

Then the switch page says Ovo will start supplying energy from the 16th of March??

Then I speak to Ovo Man on the phone about how two questions;

1. How soon after the 16th of March can I add the EV charge any time rate to my account (he says it can take anywhere up to a month but doesnt fill me with confidence with his vagueness), and

2. Is the energy used to charge the car that is charged at 32p back dated so that energy is changed to being charged at 10p? This is a difference of £16.80 (based on 168kwh a month Im currently being charged on Octopus) vs £53.76 at the standard 32p rate. He didnt have an answer and said to use the email address for this question.

This may seem small to people but still, thats nearly £40 that doesnt HAVE to be spent on electricity if I can help it.

Powerline plugs are ethernet not WIFI extenders. Regardless of whether your charger uses a mobile signal or not with a powerline the signal is sent indiscriminately through the wiring including to the car, which does not like it.
Mine is also a Rolec EVSE and I had to remove my powerline plugs as the car just stopped charging with them in use.

Im in the process of switching to Ovo and have looked at the FAQ which says switching and setting an account up can take up to 4-6 weeks before I can add the EV charge any time rate.

Then the switch page says Ovo will start supplying energy from the 16th of March??

Then I speak to Ovo Man on the phone about how two questions;

1. How soon after the 16th of March can I add the EV charge any time rate to my account (he says it can take anywhere up to a month but doesnt fill me with confidence with his vagueness), and

2. Is the energy used to charge the car that is charged at 32p back dated so that energy is changed to being charged at 10p? This is a difference of £16.80 (based on 168kwh a month Im currently being charged on Octopus) vs £53.76 at the standard 32p rate. He didnt have an answer and said to use the email address for this question.

This may seem small to people but still, thats nearly £40 that doesnt HAVE to be spent on electricity if I can help it.
Once OVO is your supplier you can add the charger to the account with in 10mins online with app or website browser you will need your charger log in details to link if you haven't look at post 12 so you know what to expect

Powerline plugs are ethernet not WIFI extenders. Regardless of whether your charger uses a mobile signal or not with a powerline the signal is sent indiscriminately through the wiring including to the car, which does not like it.
Mine is also a Rolec EVSE and I had to remove my powerline plugs as the car just stopped charging with them in use.

Wholly agree with the comment about ethernet not WiFi!

I'm genuinely sorry that for you, yours obviously interfered with your car charging, also with a Rolec charger; but that's not my experience! I have these plugs delivering ethernet from my router upstairs to my TV, BD player and Amazon Firestick downstairs without any interference problems.

I wonder whether this has anything to do with the fact that my charger is connected to my home electricity supply via a dedicated, RCD-protected, socket on my CU, so, perhaps, in effect isolated from any mains-borne problems?

Wholly agree with the comment about ethernet not WiFi!

I'm genuinely sorry that for you, yours obviously interfered with your car charging, also with a Rolec charger; but that's not my experience! I have these plugs delivering ethernet from my router upstairs to my TV, BD player and Amazon Firestick downstairs without any interference problems.

I wonder whether this has anything to do with the fact that my charger is connected to my home electricity supply via a dedicated, RCD-protected, socket on my CU, so, perhaps, in effect isolated from any mains-borne problems?
Could be. 🤷‍♂️

In the end not a problem as Wi-Fi in my house is sufficient. I was just trying to connect my home office upstairs to the router downstairs via ethernet for efficiency. Once I discovered it was the root of my charging problems I simply removed them and changed to Wi-Fi. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom