• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Pay per mile

In Victoria, Australia, I am paying a $2.50 per 100 km road tax. This works out at more than what Toyota hybrid drivers getting 5 litres per 100 km are paying in petrol excise. Petrol excise per 100 km is 22 cents x 5 = $1.10; less than half what I am paying. On an energy consumption rate, I am paying about six times the rate a petrol car driver is paying.

In Victoria, Australia, I am paying a $2.50 per 100 km road tax. This works out at more than what Toyota hybrid drivers getting 5 litres per 100 km are paying in petrol excise. Petrol excise per 100 km is 22 cents x 5 = $1.10; less than half what I am paying. On an energy consumption rate, I am paying about six times the rate a petrol car driver is paying.
Hopefully, with your recent change in government there will be a change in attitude to "green" issues.

Maybe. I think the best chance Australia has is the teal wave. These are high-profile independents who are concerned about climate warming. The Labor Party has a majority in the lower house this election but after the next election I expect a political party will have to have the support of the teals to govern. Voters are over political parties. Party politics do not seem to be going too well in the UK at the moment from what I can gather.

Does anybody really think if the Government or even the Russian or USA Government wanted to know how many miles my car had done this year, they couldn‘t easily find out? We are being watched all the time.
Maybe it's time I wrapped my car in tin foil 🤔

Big brother has been with us for years if you travel with your phone on the world kows where you are. ( i suspect the SOS device does similar ?)
A system with a black box like insurance for young drivers would be very easy to use for tracking ev miles. Cameras are a non starters except where a premium mileage charge may be added such as motorways ? I could drive for miles where I live and not trip a single camera.
I put money on a black box logger, it would also be fair and chare the heavy road users the most!

Big brother has been with us for years if you travel with your phone on the world kows where you are. ( i suspect the SOS device does similar ?)
A system with a black box like insurance for young drivers would be very easy to use for tracking ev miles. Cameras are a non starters except where a premium mileage charge may be added such as motorways ? I could drive for miles where I live and not trip a single camera.
I put money on a black box logger, it would also be fair and chare the heavy road users the most!
Another doorway for thieves or hackers to get control of your car. 😠

No thanks

I dont need the government to have an insight into where every car is at every given moment.

PS. No i have nothing to hide, but i still don't want them to know, based on the fact that they have more than a few times found ways to misuse systems, in ways i could not imagine.

As out justice minister once said "Surveillance is freedom"

People that evil or blatantly incompetent should never be put in charge of anything....

The problem with monitoring systems is that they only monitor the ones that comply, that is those who do not need monitoring. The ones who do need monitoring usually circumvent the systems anyway. :confused:

The problem with monitoring systems is that they only monitor the ones that comply, that is those who do not need monitoring. The ones who do need monitoring usually circumvent the systems anyway. :confused:
I had a friend when i was younger, he worked for a company, that fitted and maintained tracking for Taxi companies.

Essentially their system always found the closest available car, and dispatched it, but in the city centre, there were a lot of taxi's so within certain distance barriers it would also try to balance the taxi drivers fares, it essentially had a list, and if you were in the city centre, you got a trip, based on when your car was there.

The taxi drivers hated it because if they got a trip outside of town, they would have to drive all the way back to the city and they only got onto the list in the city centre when they got back. So they would essentially have to drive 30 minutes to get back into the city centre, and then they started at the "back" of the electronic line.

So, some of the taxi drivers found that if you disconnected the GPS antenna, the system would not know where you were, and ask the driver, where he was, and he could enter "City centre"

Sometimes this would backfire if it was a busy night, at they would suddenly be at the top of the list, while still being out of town, so costumers were fuming, when he took 20-30 minutes to arrive.

The company that managed these taxi's asked my friends company, what they could do, so they ended up modifying the software, so that if the car had been without GPS signal for X minutes, Y amount of times, their system would go into a fault state, and the driver was out for the rest of the night and had to go to the shop and have the system diagnosed and the error reset.

Cost him money in lost fares, and the bill for the diagnosis, so it did not take very long before these units stopped losing their GPS signal :)

Just goes to show that those who are intent on cheating, will find a way.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom