Pay per mile

I get frustrated with the BBC at times - but it's a lot cheaper than Sky!
Sorry for the thread drift.

If they are reading these comments that's great. Here is 4bn to help fill the hole

How much does the BBC cost the taxpayer

That committee has been considering this for a long time, years. All the thoughts on here are not new, certainly not worthy of a BBC article. I wonder how much that cost to produce?

(if only they did a public service like make sure the country is fully aware of highway code changes more than a couple of days before law changes that where known about for a long time, then I may be less critical )

The.comittee also know the party that introduces it will not get reelected, but know it needs to be done. Expect it to come at the end of a term of an unpopular government so the following one takes all the heat

(sorry for the duplicate. Experience on my phone not as easy as a PC. I didnt realise the first one had actually submitted )

I will be very interested to find out what systems they use. Where I live you can travel for miles without picking up 1,2, 3, 4 or 5G signals. in fact the only GGs have 4 legs. GPS signals are also a bit flakey
There are no cameras within at least 5 mile radius, so the only system that would work would have to be a basic distance measure as used by some car insurance companies.
The only communication system is fibre broadband at home (when there is power)
I await with great interest to see what Whitehall come up with.
Their ideas might work in London but no chance in Ceredigion!

I will be very interested to find out what systems they use. Where I live you can travel for miles without picking up 1,2, 3, 4 or 5G signals. in fact the only GGs have 4 legs. GPS signals are also a bit flakey
There are no cameras within at least 5 mile radius, so the only system that would work would have to be a basic distance measure as used by some car insurance companies.
The only communication system is fibre broadband at home (when there is power)
I await with great interest to see what Whitehall come up with.
Their ideas might work in London but no chance in Ceredigion!
Don't worry, it'll store all the data and upload when it does get a signal, you'll be surprised how much info the insurers get from their little black boxes now!

GPS receiver only needs a view of the sky, no 'signal' needed like mobile. We use satellite phones and devices in West Wales and GPS has to lock first before it will search for satellites (so it knows where they are). Never have any issues.

As it will be built into the car they'll fit a GPS antenna external too, like they do for built in sat nav now.

Honestly, it's no different from the trackers we have on our vans now. Tells us if vehicle has been speeding, how far it's travelled, how long it's sat with the engine idling, any faults with it etc. etc.

All this data has the potential for charging or fines for not complying (e.g. speeding or driving around with warning lights on etc.). Many private companies already use this data to praise/penalise/monitor staff so it would be easy for the government to do the same 👍🏻

I read that a vast network of ANPR cameras would be needed to log the mileage done as well as a little black box installed in each and every vehicle. I can just imagine the contracts that would go out to install these as well. Maybe we will have them as soon as they have finished their public EV chargers network!
Problem with ANPR cameras is that unscrupulous types can change number plates in a minute or two. ANPR gathered mileage would be wide open to fraudulent charging being assigned to innocent motorists.

I saw this interesting discussion regarding road pricing. I would feel more comfortable with a flat rate charged for all cars, with other vehicles such as vans and lorries charged higher due to extra damage to the roads.

To watch click the link "watch on youtube"

I like the idea of a flat rate for all vehicles. But don't agree with vans paying more due to more wear on the roads. My van loaded still weighs less than a Tesla. Commercials have always been stung with higher road tax and more parking restrictions and higher toll charges

Not sure that vans have a big effect but HGVs most certainly do cause substantially more damage.

But a HGV is on the road to fill the shelf's with goods. In my opinion they should pay next to nothing.

There is a mismatch between the standard to which roads are constructed and the permissible axle weight of HGVs. We shouldn't be talking about who pays for the damage but how to avoid it in the first place. At the moment we either throw good money after bad by spending on repairs and resurfacing or we ignore the damage and allow other vehicles to suffer the consequences.
I'm not blaming HGV drivers (as long as they are not driving over permitted weight). They are just doing what the law allows them to do.

Don't worry, it'll store all the data and upload when it does get a signal, you'll be surprised how much info the insurers get from their little black boxes now!

GPS receiver only needs a view of the sky, no 'signal' needed like mobile. We use satellite phones and devices in West Wales and GPS has to lock first before it will search for satellites (so it knows where they are). Never have any issues.

As it will be built into the car they'll fit a GPS antenna external too, like they do for built in sat nav now.

Honestly, it's no different from the trackers we have on our vans now. Tells us if vehicle has been speeding, how far it's travelled, how long it's sat with the engine idling, any faults with it etc. etc.

All this data has the potential for charging or fines for not complying (e.g. speeding or driving around with warning lights on etc.). Many private companies already use this data to praise/penalise/monitor staff so it would be easy for the government to do the same 👍🏻
Hi Thats interesting I have no objection to a black box fitted particulalry if it can help reduce insurance cost. I will see what options are available next time I renew insurance.
I wish they could get the g 2/g3 signals working so I could have a working smart meter and buy cheaper off peak electricity, might even get the mobile phone working ? Any had any sucess with boosters

Boris taking a hammering at the liaison committee.
However the bit that woke me up was when 1 off the questioners said that no10 had sat on a recommendation for 3 months that ev owners would be charged per mile in some way or another :unsure:

It's only a matter of time before it happens.

Just make it a road use payment of about £120 a year, after all they changed the VED rates when car makers fudged the emissions to get into the zero rate band.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom