Petition MG about Driver Settings

Hi my MG 4 is great on LKA I drive on very small mountain roads with big drops and no problems everyone is different.
Yes it seems its a matter of choice, you are covered you can leave it on permanently .... some of us just want to be able to turn it off permanently, MG can make us all happy if they wish.

Hi your all most a local to me on this forum, probably if it was disabled MG might not get the 5 star ANCAP rating you will find lots of safety items can be disabled by the driver but when fully stopped it will re set ready for the next driver as you said we all different .

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought some brands are getting around this with driver presets, you log in as the driver and it sets all your driver preferences, some linking the presets to individual keys? some high end brands go as far as your seat setup and steering wheel position. I’m thinking MG could do this just like they do currently with the drop down menu to disable it now, just replace it with DRIVER (presets)

Last edited:
if it was disabled MG might not get the 5 star ANCAP rating
I read elsewhere that this is highly prized by manufacturers, as some leasing companies will only take cars with 5 star ratings. I think that they are conflating ratings with safety, which should be a valid assumption...

T
I thought some brands are getting around this with driver presets, you log in as the driver and it sets all your driver preferences, some linking the presets to individual keys? some high end brands go as far as your seat setup and steering wheel position. I’m thinking MG could do this just like they do currently with the drop down menu to disable it now, just replace it with DRIVER (presets)
tha true on some items my slk Merc had pre set seats and steering wheel positions all you did when entering vehicle was selected driver 1-2-3 button on door, and it all moved to the pre settings.
But multiple drivers rent vehicles and gov vehicles, pool cars ect just wouldn’t work plus insurance maybe void if safety items disabled .

T

tha true on some items my slk Merc had pre set seats and steering wheel positions all you did when entering vehicle was selected driver 1-2-3 button on door, and it all moved to the pre settings.
But multiple drivers rent vehicles and gov vehicles, pool cars ect just wouldn’t work plus insurance maybe void if safety items disabled .

I'm sure that's not true. Your insurance is not void if you disable LKA.

The point about hire cars is that the driver cannot access the custom settings. I had a courtesy car last year that always welcomed me as a "guest" and was so neutral that I even had to retune the radio from white noise every time I got in the car.

I don't know if I could have created a driver profile for myself (the radio thing was a pretty powerful incentive but in fact I didn't bother) but the point is that any random dude getting into car finds all the gizmos in their default state. The possibility for driver profiles doesn't change that.

Are we sure about that? Two actions to disable something that might be trying to steer you into the path of a lorry?

No, I'm not sure TBH hence my ? mark ... it's just something I think I remember from a recent new car review.

Well, it seems to be there is some confusion about Euro NCAP (ANCAP in Australia &NZ) requirements.
Safety or accident prevention (if you like) features are essential to be ON, to gain score on the safety rating. Quote from the reply for my question from ANCAP recently:
"In order to score as part of ANCAP's assessment, our protocols generally require that the more critical safety features (such as Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) and Emergency Lane Keeping (ELK)) are "Default ON" at the start of each journey."
The driver settings are not part of the certification. So nothing to stop the manufacturer, to make those settings "latching", keep them on or off as the driver preference (driving mode, regeneration level, one pedal driving and so on), exactly the same way as ACC, and TJA. Even the sub settings (following distance) remains the same. So the driver have all the preferred settings ready every time when start a journey.
In my opinion that would be the bottom line. Not so much harder to implement pre-set options, as someone suggested, even with an option to fleet operators to reset everything (keep it as it is now).
At the moment we just experiencing the complete defeat of the "no start button" function, which is a great feature, however, most of us (I think) forced to complete at least one extra task (which is probably more than pushing a start button) every time when start the car.
I found myself in the situation when I'm not using the "comfort features", simply because to get them rather uncomfortable. Yes, you can argue with that "oh, just a touch of a (couple) of button on the screen. I know. I sometimes have short trips, 2-5 minutes, do I really want to spend another 30-45 sec to turn on features I like/prefer, no. Maybe after retirement I wouldn't mind, it's a few years away.
The part of the truth, I haven't checked these features on other cars yet (apart from MG ZS), but my BMW motorcycle keeps all the settings as you leave (riding modes, suspension settings etc.) only the ABS (which is switchable) reverts back to ON, which is fair enough. I think at this point lot more BMW 1200gs offered for rental, than MG4 EV (I'm maybe wrong on this, but I can live with that).

I think it is a fair request from MG to make changes to the software, and deliver everything what they promote in the brochures (OK they deliver it, but they are useless at the moment). Not sure about this "petition" and the power of it, but after talking to my dealer and asked them to record and forward my issues to the manufacturer, not much I can do than sign these kind a "communications".

Yes you still have to confirm... I think the NCAP rules are it has to take two actions to disable ?
Yes still 2 actions far from ideal. Can be dangerous and often no place to pull over on really twisty roads... anyway to replace this pull-down with Driver Preference with all your preferred settings I think would be the way to go .. Or add another icon on the same pulldown menu.

Maybe was the key, I would check first with my company to understand their policies regarding safety items in vehicles.
Agree and I think this would go all the way to the courts if an insurance company refused to payout on a big claim just on the basis of whether someone had turned off a safety feature. If anyone else watches the BlackBeltBarrister on YouTube it seems the common theme a Court of Law takes is whether something is "Reasonable" or has a "Reasonable Expectation" to do something.

So in the case of turning off a safety feature through the cars software menu - well I doubt anyone else would know as the car would reset to default on next startup anyway😁 , but even then, the software allows you to turn things off and there could be good reasons to turn it off (even the manual states this I think) - so I doubt any claim would be refused IMHO.

However if you start taking fuses out or blocking the cameras / radar on a more permanent basis etc. for no good reason then I think you would have to start asking if this was still a reasonable thing to do as you may be deemed to have modified the car, in which case your insurer would need to have been informed.

All IMHO and I'm no legal expert and don't take any of the above as advice as they always say 😂

Last edited:
Volvo have the 5 star rating as you would expect, they do in fact link disabling Lane Assist to the Driver Profiles and then you can go further link these profiles to individual keys. You can link pretty much everything to your driver profile: climate control, seat position, entertainment and many driver settings. However they do not allow you to [disable it] totally through profile settings, you can limit it to just a warning sound rather than any movement in the steering wheel (see attached) in DRIVER PROFILE you can choose ASSIST or WARNING (sound), or BOTH. This is how Volvo get around it they let you switch off Lane Assist through Driver Profiles but cannot switch of the Warning sound.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-26 at 11.14.27 am.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-26 at 11.14.27 am.png
    271.3 KB · Views: 29
This is exactly what I've been suggesting. There is really no need to shut down all lane assist modes. The troubles are with LKE. Allowing to chose either of the three modes using button press and/or voice command would eliminate 99% of the complaints.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back