Plastic Wheel Trim

I should imagine something like a plastic spatula used around the rim at each clip point should ease them off safely. When I get my car I'll give it a try.
Or one of these trim removal tools.
trimremoval tools.jpg

Why on earth did MG put plastic wheel trims on the EV models? I was really disappointed oupon checking after a test drive. Its a £33000 car for goodness sake. More expensive than my brand new Audi A6 I got a few years ago!

Why on earth did MG put plastic wheel trims on the EV models? I was really disappointed oupon checking after a test drive. Its a £33000 car for goodness sake. More expensive than my brand new Audi A6 I got a few years ago!
There are alloy wheels under them covers ?.

IMG_20220327_155039.jpg

Cheaper to replace the plastic cover than an alloy wheel in the event af some serious kerb rash. :)

Aerodynamics, you'll get an extra 0.0001 mpkWh. :LOL:

I tend to think, they substituted the more expensive diamond cut alloys found on the first Gen model, for a more basic type of alloy and then covered them with plastic trims.
Steel wheels would have been an even cheaper option of course, but the extra weight would have a larger impact on the range.

Last edited:
Nice one thanks. They don't look dissimilar to the alloys on my old Pug 207, basic but not outrageously bad. I'll keep the covers on though, better to kerb them than an alloy 🙄
Whilst I agree that they do look basic, I think if they're spray-painted a metallic black to match a black model, they would look fantastic. Miles better than the abominable plastic frisbees that come with the wheel.

I'm curious to know how many extra miles those plastic discs add onto the range by marginally increasing aerodynamics, though.

I tend to think, they substituted the more expensive diamond cut alloys found on the first Gen model, for a more basic type of alloy and then covered them with plastic trims.
Steel wheels would have been an even cheaper option of course, but the extra weight would have a larger impact on the range.
"Tend to think"? Yes, as is widely known, they're aero trims over plain alloys.

Steel wheels are lighter than alloys. The ID.3 base wheel trim uses them.

I’m thinking of getting the dealer to take them off, if I curb the wheel, fine I’ll put the covers back on before I sell it..

The whole point of alloys is that they are lighter?

No, the whole point is that they look sportier. Steel is stronger and tends to deflect rather than cracking, so for road wheels which have to take abuse are lighter. For the top end of motorsports Magnesium alloy forgings are the lightest.

No, the whole point is that they look sportier. Steel is stronger and tends to deflect rather than cracking, so for road wheels which have to take abuse are lighter. For the top end of motorsports Magnesium alloy forgings are the lightest.
Of course magnesium is lighter than alloys but size for size alloys a generally lighter than steel and stronger as this hydraulic press shows

There are alloy wheels under them covers ?.

View attachment 7900
Alloy wheels are lighter and stronger than Steel and have lower unsprung weight. The Aero covers provide a better aerodynamic performance and ca reduce drag, especially on the motorway in the order of 5% to 6% which on long-range version could be 15 miles more range. Remember that the MG4 Trophy with roof line spoiler has about 11 miles less range that the LR SE without spoiler.

Alloy wheels are lighter and stronger than Steel and have lower unsprung weight. The Aero covers provide a better aerodynamic performance and ca reduce drag, especially on the motorway in the order of 5% to 6% which on long-range version could be 15 miles more range. Remember that the MG4 Trophy with roof line spoiler has about 11 miles less range that the LR SE without spoiler.
Hi @BarryH .
Thanks for your post (y).
At the time of me asking :- "There are alloys under them covers ?".
Was comparing it to the new release of the ZS EV ( Gen 2 ).
Early pictures could have suggested they where actual wheels, as the ( Gen 1 ) ZS EV had diamond cut alloys as standard fit.
Then as time moved on and Miles got to see the car, it was found to have basic alloys rims underneath them plastic aero wheel trims.
Which some people felt a little under whelmed with and let down as a possible down grade from the Gen1 ZS EV.
After owning a Gen 1 and now a Gen 2 - speaking for myself, I have become use to them now.
Yeah - It could be seen as the very start of a cost cutting exercise, I accept that view because only six months latter, they have decided to delete the sky roof from the Trophy model ?.
It has been asked :- "Why did MG not just use steel rims on the ZS EV ( Gen 2 )from the offset if they intended to cover them over with plastic trims?".
This is a good question, which you have already answered brilliantly in your post.
Steel rims are never going to be a good choice for an EV based purely on increase weight value alone.
Sorry - If this comment has not travelled across well and confused the MG4 interest.

I wonder if the fact that steel in ferromagnetic and Aluminium is diamagnetic (repels magnetism) has anything to do with EVs having alloys ?

I wonder if the fact that steel in ferromagnetic and Aluminium is diamagnetic (repels magnetism) has anything to do with EVs having alloys ?
I wouldn't have thought so. The magnetism in an EV is confined within the Motor/Generator to maximise the efficiency of the motor. Although the magnets in an EV's traction motor are powerful, the magnetic field is directed across a hair-breadth of a gap. The smaller the gap where the field is confined the more powerful the reaction you get and rotational force, ie. motor torque when the current is applied

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom