Plastic Wheel Trim

Attachments

• IMG_20220327_155039.jpg
    IMG_20220327_155039.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 471
@Pob how did you find removing the wheel trims ?.
Some have said that they are brittle and easily crack !.
Did you easy them off by hand or what did you use to remove them ?.
Any chance you could send us a photo of the rear of the trim, showing the four fixing points ?.

I don’t have this model but a lot of you seem to have broken them, are they fit for purpose? Most of us will need to remove a wheel at some point hence my question.
hi sido good point what will happen if you call AA out to replace the wheel due to a puncture and they break or if it goes into a tyre shop who's going to pay. !!!!

Last edited:
If it becomes a common problem, I would guess that tyre companies would warn you about it before removing them, and only do it if you agree to take responsibility :cautious:

When I get my car I will see if I can make a trim remover. I might sell them to all you lot out there😂😂😂😂😂
I wonder if one of those plastic trim removal tools, would do the job ???.
I already have a kit of some of these in a cloth roll tidy.
If we could see the back of the trims, we could get a better idea of what would do the job ????.
If the plastic pry tool would do the job, I would put it with the 10 mm spanner, the type 2 cable, the 12 volt jumper pack, the Granny lead, the space saver wheel and the V2L cable !!.
The boot is getting smaller by the day 🤣.

Quote :- "Note : If the pulling force required to remove the wheel trim cover is large, use a suitable tool to pull it out".
Okay ?.
But what type of suitable "tool" are they referring too ( metal or plastic ) and at what location are you intended to insert this so called "suitable tool" I wonder ?.
If they DO indeed recommend / recognise that a special trim tool could ( will be ) required, then why don't they include one of these removal tools in the boot ?.
The trim is held in place on the rim, by what they call "SNAP'S" on the back side of the trim itself.
How many of these "Snap's" are located on each trim ?.
If we are intended to pull evenly on the trim, in the same locations shown in picture, then we are encouraged to pull in five areas of the trim, would you not agree ?.
A picture of the rear of these trims would be extremely helpful, if anybody has one please ????.

Quote :- "Note : If the pulling force required to remove the wheel trim cover is large, use a suitable tool to pull it out".
Okay ?.
But what type of suitable "tool" are they referring too ( metal or plastic ) and at what location are you intended to insert this so called "suitable tool" I wonder ?.
If they DO indeed recommend / recognise that a special trim tool could ( will be ) required, then why don't they include one of these removal tools in the boot ?.
The trim is held in place on the rim, by what they call "SNAP'S" on the back side of the trim itself.
How many of these "Snap's" are located on each trim ?.
If we are intended to pull evenly on the trim, in the same locations shown in picture, then we are encouraged to pull in five areas of the trim, would you not agree ?.
A picture of the rear of these trims would be extremely helpful, if anybody has one please ????.
Hi, here's a photo of the back of mine.
MGwheelTrim.jpg

The clips go through the slots in the alloy wheels, so there's 5 of them, plus it's also clipped in the centre hub as well! I got it off by pushing the clips out from under the car, moving it to get at every spoke! (I wanted to remove rear wheels to screw on mudflags). As others say, the wheel bolts have no locks, I think the 'security' is the difficulty getting the trims off, but that wouldn't stop a thief. Seems daft to have alloys with trims over, so levering off the trims would damage the wheels! Paul W.

Hi, here's a photo of the back of mine. View attachment 7895
The clips go through the slots in the alloy wheels, so there's 5 of them, plus it's also clipped in the centre hub as well! I got it off by pushing the clips out from under the car, moving it to get at every spoke! (I wanted to remove rear wheels to screw on mudflags). As others say, the wheel bolts have no locks, I think the 'security' is the difficulty getting the trims off, but that wouldn't stop a thief. Seems daft to have alloys with trims over, so levering off the trims would damage the wheels! Paul W.
Thank you for posting Paul !.
That is a brilliant image of the back of the trims.
A bit of a pain to remove without breaking them then ! :( .
So, you pushed on the clips, at every point equally, from the backside of the wheel, while in was jacked up ?.
Would you say that the majority of the trim, is held by either the five clips around the trim or are these just a guide over the spokes and the main retention pressure is held at the centre boss clip ?.
Or is it a combination of both !.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi, here's a photo of the back of mine. View attachment 7895
I should imagine something like a plastic spatula used around the rim at each clip point should ease them off safely. When I get my car I'll give it a try.

£277 on the MG web site.

Probably best to check with your dealer though.
Check out on eBay there is a dealer who sells via eBay at about half that cost. Beware that the EV hub is different to the petrol version hub so be sure they know it is for the EV. it comes with insert with car jack

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom