• At work / other

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters

alix

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Curious to know the distribution of folks here who have or don't have charging access at home!

I live in a flat so no private parking, exclusively charging from public chargers. However, I don't drive for work and there's tons of options available near me (2 within walking distance) so it's not been a problem yet.

Most of my charging is done at home on my Zappi picking up a bit of excess solar or on an overnight tariff.
You could have split 'home' between 7kW EVSE or granny 2.2kW.

At home. My EDF EV tariff is 18p/kWh for 8 hours at night and all day Saturday and Sunday.
There are cheaper tariffs, 5p at night but for shorter hours and no weekend daytime hours.
Edit: It's actually 10 hours at night not 8, 10pm to 8am in Summer and 9pm to 7am Winter.

Last edited:
I've voted "at home" because I use a granny charger in my garage. However I also use a rapid charger that's within walking distance just to speed the process up, then bring the car home and let it finish charging and balance on the granny lead. (It's an SR.)

Last night I got back about 8.15 with 29% charge. Someone was on the public charger when I passed, so I just went home. I could have plugged in to the granny charger and been done by lunchtime (I think) but instead I just left it and went to the rapid charger this morning. The max 55 minutes got me up to about 87%. I drove home, then about half an hour ago I put the car in the garage and on to the granny charger. It will be finished and balanced by about 10.30.

The public charger costs about the same as my home electricity, so it doesn't make any odds which I do. But when the weather isn't so nice I'm likely to do it all on the granny charger and save myself a 5-minute walk each way.

As you've placed this poll in the MG4 forum I assume the question is only being directed at MG4 owners?
Can you relocate this thread plz @Alb as I think this will be interesting for other model owners as well.
We are 99.9% charge at home from our wall box, for the 30,000 EV miles we have covered since going full BEV in 2019.

Curious to know the distribution of folks here who have or don't have charging access at home!

I live in a flat so no private parking, exclusively charging from public chargers. However, I don't drive for work and there's tons of options available near me (2 within walking distance) so it's not been a problem yet.
I too live in a flat so no home charging. Westminster has converted many lamposts so I have 20 plus options within a 5 minute walk. They always used to be iced but more recently they have marked some spaces as EV charging only so recently it's been ok. And they've introduced a (slightly) cheaper overnight rate.👍

You might find this thread helpful. I am in the same boat as you.

Post in thread 'Life without a home charger?'
Life without a home charger?

Interesting thread, thanks for flagging it up. I'm keen to find out what options there are for people who can't home charge, because it's the sort of thing that comes up quite frequently in conversation, and as I think I said I have a friend in a terraced house (in a charger desert) who would like an EV but can't see how to make it work.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom